• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is the man building my hutch ripping me off?

have you asked him what grade mesh he is using? Only that mesh doesn't look very fox proof?

As he's put it on legs I would have thought that he would need to put brackets on to stop the wood twisting and working loose as the hutch moves and expands/contracts with the elements???

what are you going to put it on as well? If it is going on grass I can't see that wood lasting more than a couple of winters unless you are very careful with how you treat it.

If you're wanting a comparison here's the hutch I got from a local chap near where I live. I never got a run built with it though but instead had an aviary built (for around £200). It came ready made up and two men had to lift it into our garden.:lol: This cost me £100 but the guy had made a few like it as like us he was fed up seeing the lack of quality in pet shop hutches.

It's 5'lx2'd
roly_hutch02-2.jpg

hey I know this hutch heeeeee is it from a guy in Plean by chance he is building my shed for mme at the moment and hutches to go inside

http://www.rehutches.com/singlehutch06.htm

I bought a 7ft hutch off this guy. (They only go up to 6ft, so it was custom made, for £250...inc carriage which was over 200 miles.)

He added extra supports, as I told him Ted was a Giant, and he made the internal opening to the bedroom bigger so he wouldn't have to squeeze. It is log lap with ply on the inside. (He did 9 mm instead of 6mm without extra charge.)

I cannot rate these hutches higher. They are solid.

If you're not happy then say it. He should do it to how you like it, or you shouldn't pay.
If a painter did a botch job then you wouldn't pay. Reserve judgement until it's finished, but if it looks flimsy then refuse!!

....also, you agreed on £300. That's what you should pay!

hey I know this hutch heeeeee is it from a guy in Plean by chance he is building my shed for mme at the moment and hutches to go inside

That's the one, it was my uncle that recommended him as he has family in Plean and seen the hutches in the guys garden.:D

The hutch has just arrived and it looks fantastic!!!! I will take pictures once I have painted it. It's huge and inredibly well made I am so pleased.

I think the situation was that he'd never made one before and underestimated the costs. He used the best materials he could buy and just worked very hard on it. I'm happy to part with my money if it looks like this. So pleased!

Anybody know any non bunny toxic wood treatment? Is ronseal good?

cupronol garden shades are great. I use all the different colours. You can start looking for his wifie bun now how exciting. Have you any bun mind?

Back