• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is the man building my hutch ripping me off?

Just to add that apparently there is a chap in Ascott by you (somewhere) who makes lovely hutches so my vet told me.

Maybe it would be a good idea to speak to Trading Standards (their no will be in the phone book). I don't think the maker has much of a leg to stand on, if you agreed the £300. He can't ask for more!

Also, if it's good quality, you may be very pleased, but beware if it isn't - and you may not get your money back.

Def speak to TS before you part with a penny. Did you get anything in writing or give anything in writing?

Good luck

I suppose it's his hourly rate that is hiking up the price on top of his materials and because he is not mass producing and not used to making them its taking longer. I would stop him now and have a chat. Ask for a breakdown and make sure you are not paying for any of his tools etc. Say you would like to see a breakdown of materials and his hours.

I feel for you. It is difficult if you don't have anyone who can build one. My husband built me a whole Bunny aviary and an 8 foot hutch to go inside it for the same price but he didn't charge me labour (obviously)

Unfortunately once you've agreed to pay a price for a custom made item you've made a contract and can't back out.

The build quality looks good to me though. That's pine not balsa and he's doing tongue n groove and that's fine mesh so more expensive. All the edges match up very well so he's obviously putting some skill & care.

It's all very well comparing it to places that mass produce so can sell cheaply but you won't get anywhere near such a nice finish. You are also getting a slightly bigger run (6x6 is nice size).

I think you are going to end up with a very nice hutch that's built to the spec you wanted and for the price you were willing to pay so don't beat yourself up too much over it. Just look forward to getting the new pad. A well made hutch is going to last 10 years so it's only costing you £30 a year.

It does take time to build things to a good quality so while it's good to get a cheap deal other people have to make a living as well.

I agree with Tamsin, you should have done your research before you agreed in the price, I think you will get a decent hutch, it looks fine. You can't back out on the deal but I wouldn't have agreed to pay an extra £50 as he said it would cost £300.

Thanks for your opinions guys, all really helpful.

And thanks Tamsin for saying it looks okay...

For the sake of friendship and our "community" here I will have to pay full whack and let him continue with it because it wouldn't be worth the hassle if I didn't! We are all trying to live sustainably with varying degrees of success and there's an unspoken rule that we use each other's small businesses in the village for the services and products that we need (even if they are extortionately priced!) It's an ideal that's still a bit rough around the edges.

I agree with Tamsin, you should have done your research before you agreed in the price, I think you will get a decent hutch, it looks fine. You can't back out on the deal but I wouldn't have agreed to pay an extra £50 as he said it would cost £300.

The £300 offer from me was based on a picture I showed him of one of the aviary set ups which are advertised for around £400 on the websites. But then he said the materials would cost so much but they would be good quality and he'd need to make it smaller, what were my minimum requirements, so I gave him the 6x2x2 and 6x6 guidelines and he is now making this... for the same price.

I'll just have to realise I misjudged this one and know better for next time.

I agree with Tamsin - I think it looks really good. I think it's expensive for a hutch run combo but it is finished very well, made out of quality wood. My handmade hutch which is stunning was £190 with delivery (they drove from York to Cheshire and it came complete, not flat packed) - it is 5ftby 2ft by 2ft (stays open in a stable). I also got a hutch run combo 5ft by 5ft by 2ft run and 5ft by2ft hutch on top for £230 and an 8ftby4ftby2.5 ft run for £120. I thought I was paying a bit over the odds but the quality of handmade, personal stuff is often much better. I feel for you as it's so hard in these communities to 'complain'. I honestly believe though that you will be really pleased with it when it is done and will forget you paid so much when you see your happy bunnies in it. :love:

The £300 offer from me was based on a picture I showed him of one of the aviary set ups which are advertised for around £400 on the websites. But then he said the materials would cost so much but they would be good quality and he'd need to make it smaller, what were my minimum requirements, so I gave him the 6x2x2 and 6x6 guidelines and he is now making this... for the same price.

I'll just have to realise I misjudged this one and know better for next time.

I think the hutch will be fine - the legs look to be 2"x2" planed (approx 47mmx47mm) - this is fine - we built our own hutches and runs out of this and they're very sturdy.

I think the panelling is tongue and groove from the look of it - probably about 5mm thick (B&Q value tongue and groove is about 6mm for reference) - again this will be fine as long as it is secure to the frame.

When you agreed that he would build it, was the price based on number of hours plus materials or a total price? If it was a total price then your offer to increase the amount was slightly misguided & if he makes a loss at £300 it's his problem for not quoting properly. If it was based on material costs plus labour cost at a known hourly rate then you need to negotiate (again - sounds like his estimating was poor but if he's never built anything like it before then kind of understandable).

Custom built hutches will always be more expensive than mass produced (and I include the Ryedale/Happy hutch etc in this category) - ours probably cost around the £150 mark each in materials alone!

It does always take sooooo much longer to make a one-off or to make something for the first time. I make cavy cozies and it takes ages to do any variation on the standard items I sew. Until you make things yourself you really have no idea...

His materials will all be expensive. My Dad is a good woodworker and you would not believe the amounts we have paid on materials for simple items eg. £15 for wood for a picture frame + £5 for glass; about £25 for a pyramid plant support (just the four main posts). We could easily have bought mass-produced items for a fraction of the price.

I would say £300 is a fairly reasonable price considering that it is a unique item made to your individual specifications. You may well thank yourself for paying the extra in years to come because if all the joints fit together it will wear well and be a pleasure to use.

Also, my Dad is the master at making things which are too sturdy to lift. He made me a 'lightweight portable' rabbit run (now known as Fort Bunny). It does a great job of protecting the bunnies against predators but you have to get inside it to stand a chance of lifting it (and I weight train:lol:) At least those slim legs will mean that you stand a chance of being able to move your hutch around once it is at your place.

dont know if this has been mentioned you are within your rights to ask for an itemised bill

:evil: I would tell him now that he is taking the ****:roll: there is no way on earth that is worth the money.if he gets arsy pay him for the time so far and finish it yourself!

If you're wanting a comparison here's the hutch I got from a local chap near where I live. I never got a run built with it though but instead had an aviary built (for around £200). It came ready made up and two men had to lift it into our garden.:lol: This cost me £100 but the guy had made a few like it as like us he was fed up seeing the lack of quality in pet shop hutches.

It's 5'lx2'd
roly_hutch02-2.jpg

As has been said before yours looks to be pretty well built. I bet you'll love it when you see it all finished.:D

I am having a 6ftx6ft run delivered on Thursday built locally for £70 so yes that does sound a bit much as I would have thought a hutch would be around £120 ish

If you're wanting a comparison here's the hutch I got from a local chap near where I live. I never got a run built with it though but instead had an aviary built (for around £200). It came ready made up and two men had to lift it into our garden.:lol: This cost me £100 but the guy had made a few like it as like us he was fed up seeing the lack of quality in pet shop hutches.

It's 5'lx2'd
roly_hutch02-2.jpg

As has been said before yours looks to be pretty well built. I bet you'll love it when you see it all finished.:D

That is a beautiful hutch. Where abouts are you? I'd be interested in the joiners details if you still have them? :)

It certainly sounds a bit expensive. I will ask my brother at the weekend if it sounds expensive as he's a carpenter.

That does seem way over the top to be honest. Our 6x2x2 handmade triples didn't cost us that much each and they are rock solid. Just wondering why he has put mesh on one end too.:?

We sell these for £149.99 with free delivery and they are good sturdy hutches, you could have had 2 for the price he is charging you for one.
6x2hutchwithrun.jpg

I was looking at these last night they look really good and a very reasonable price.

It certainly sounds a bit expensive. I will ask my brother at the weekend if it sounds expensive as he's a carpenter.

If your brother lives in Chippy he will probably know my carpenter whose studio is in Chippy! Don't want word to get round that I'm slagging him off in an internet forum! :oops::oops::oops:

If your brother lives in Chippy he will probably know my carpenter whose studio is in Chippy! Don't want word to get round that I'm slagging him off in an internet forum! :oops::oops::oops:

No he doesn't live in Chippy he doesn't know many carpenters its mainly other tradesmen he works with.

Back