• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is anyone online? Advice for Starbuck pls U/D Back from vets Post 11

He is doing much better thanks Vicky. Not drinking much and not really eaten much pellets, syringe feeding has also been hard for us both (me and Starbuck) BUT on the positive side, he is bright and energetic and has forgiven me for stressy syringe feeds by just jumping on my lap!

He has eaten the apple this morning, a fair bit of hay, some grass, parsley and loads of dandelion. He now has some wet spring greens and parsley for overnight as well as pellets should he want them.

Will see how he is in the morning but I am much less concerned about him - though obviously still not out of the woods and not passed anything furry bits so I am wondering if it is still there in his tum.

He is pooing and weeing as well :mrgreen:

Hope you are ok and that the buns are ok, hope Nino's leg is doing better x

There may not be any fur in there Helen, you brush him anyway with a furminator so I would not have expected him to have a huge fur blockage anyway. It may of been that all he had was a small amount, already passed, and a touch of ileus because of that and the upset it caused to his caecum. It may have been that what she felt wasn't fur but just a collection of droppings or dried ingesta in the bowel - it's pretty hard to tell the difference to be honest, if at all without an Xray. If he has passed some misshapen poops then this was probably those, or he may pass them later if they were higher up the bowel. Just keep him eating voluntarily if you can.

If he is still needing syringe feeding today then I would suggest he needs another examination, more pain relief and some fluids and gut motility drugs again this morning. :):wave:

Thank you Vicky. Its so reassuring to hear this.

Well, this morning, I went downstairs and the first thing he did was come running straight over to me :love: then went back to his base and flopped down for 20 minutes of fussing and tooth purring....so I dont think he is in any pain now.

He has done quite a few poos although they are on the small side, and a few misshapen ones but not many. We left him last night with a HUGE pile of wet spring greens and parsley and I said to Colin that I would be VERY surprised if he ate all of it and I came down this morning and most of it has actually gone!

He doesnt seem to have drunk much, and hasnt really touched his pellets, but considering how much other stuff he has had I am not overly worried about it. I think he has been tucking in to his hay as well.

Touch wood we are ok now, but I still have the Recovery should we need it but hopefully not!

Thanks for the advice :D

Thank you. I am going to be waiting outside the doors when they open at 8am. He is not bothered by any more carrot or banana.

He is sitting with me and seems alert.

I know this is a gross question but is it worth taking the poos with me to show the vet?

Yes it is x opps i'm abit late with this. Hope starbuck is okay - lots of vibes for your poorly one xxxxx

Yes it is x opps i'm abit late with this. Hope starbuck is okay - lots of vibes for your poorly one xxxxx

Thats ok, dont worry, he is doing better now, though I wish he would eat some pellets and drink some water today....

The vet didnt want to see his poo in the end, I was most disappointed! :mrgreen:

Aww he sounds like he is on the mend :) I'm sure given the rest of the day he will be completely back to normal tomorrow, fingers crossed.

It's great he is eating and pooing, don't worry about the water, the wet greens may be quite sufficient in themselves and the misshapen poops are probably whatever was causing the slow-down so I'm hoping that's all gone now and very soon his poops will return to normal. It's sleepy time of day now anyway for buns so just see how he is this evening and what comes out! I have every faith now he will be just fine. :) xx

Ah, thanks for asking :D

Kind of back to normal, he has been eating hay most of the day, he has eaten some pellets although in 24 hours he still hasnt eaten half what he would normally eat. He has had some spring greens at lunchtime and some dried parsley/carrot stuff I found.

He is pooing and seems his normal self. I wish he would eat more, but am now trying to go back to normal routine, as I think if I kept giving him leafy greens, he would just eat that and hay - not that this is a bad thing when he has been ill - but I would like to get him back eating some pellets at least - which wont happen if he can get me to keep bringing him greens/herbs/weeds etc!! :lol:

Do you think this is the right thing to do?

I'm glad Starbuck is getting back to normal now.
I wouldn't worry about him eating his pellets at the moment, he probably needs the fluids and fibre in the fresh stuff more at the monment xx

Thank you Lilbun. They normally have their veg at night anyway so he now has a big pile of parsley, spring greens and curly kale to tuck in to overnight.

He has been eating more pellets and hay and has drunk some water so I think we are getting there.

I'll make sure he has fresh greens again tomorrow then - thanks for the advice, I will take it :)

I agree with Lilbun (as always ;)) Keep up the fibre and greens if this is what he prefers - I would just steer away from any greens you know unbalances his caecum and upsets his tum, otherwise greens and hay will keep that gut moving nicely - certainly better than pellets will. :) x

Thank you. I will stick with the greens then :) I think my thinking was that its easier to guage if he is being 'normal' if he is following his normal routine. I dont really know why I thought this since it is far more important that he keeps eating and has juicy greens and fluid and fibre. :roll: Think my head isnt working right - can I blame being ill!

Thanks for the clarity. x

Back