• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits can I keep in 92sq ft

Hi all I’m new to the forum and am very excited to have finished my Wendy house with attached run which gives a total of constant access to 92square feet

My question is, how many rabbits would I be able to keep in that space, I currently have two but wondering if I could have any more?

Last edited:
Hi all I’m new to the forum and am very excited to have finished my Wendy house with attached run which gives a total of constant access to 92square metres.

My question is, how many rabbits would I be able to keep in that space, I currently have two but wondering if I could have any more?

Hi and welcome to the forum :) 92 square metres is a lovely space for your bunnies.

How many bunnies you could have in that space is not a simple question. In my view, there are several things to consider. I think it depends how the space is divided up. If they were my bunnies I would like to imagine them all having the space to flop out in the wendy house. How big is this? I would also take into consideration the age, size and how energetic the bunnies were. It is lovely to watch bunnies having enough space to zoom around.

So I'm aware I haven't really answered your question :lol: I certainly would think that if you are thinking of dwarf rabbits then another two would easily have enough room in that space.

There's also the issue of bonding. If you have two bunnies already, introducing another two would have to be done while observing all the principles of rabbit bonding.

Hi thank you for your reply, the Wendy house is 10’by 6’ all on one floor and there is a tunnel with constant access into an 8’by 4’ run…

I have another area which I could bond new rabbits in as when I bonded my current two it seemed to work to put them both in unfamiliar surroundings.

One rabbit is 2.8kg so medium sized? The other is 2.1kg so is that small to medium size?

That's big for a wendy house! Yes, Iwould say your rabbits are small to medium size.

Just for comparison, I have an 8x6 shed with runs attached, which are probably the equivalent in overall size of what you have. I have just the two rabbits now, but previously had a family of 4 Rexes, each about 3kg, and they had plenty of room. I think if I didn't find it quite so traumatic bonding them, I would happily have 6 bonded rabbits of around this size in the space here.

What is the run sited on, if one of your bunnies likes digging?:lol:

sopht711”;7284946 said:
Hi all I’m new to the forum and am very excited to have finished my Wendy house with attached run which gives a total of constant access to 92square metres.

You have a 10'x6' shed, plus 8'x4' run - that makes 92 sqare feet, not metres. The shed is a nice size, and you can make some different levels in there to make it interesting for the rabbits. The run is still a bit on the small size on its own, but the shed on its own meets the minimum size requirements. The RWAF recommendations are a minimum of 3mx2mx 1m high for an average size pair of rabbits. If you are wanting more rabbits, I suggest getting one more to form a trio. You need to look up all about bonding as adding additional rabbits isn't straightforward. All need to have been neutered for a couple of months, and then be introduced on neutral ground. There's no guarantee that they will get on. Don't forget that they all need annual vaccinations, and that they may need additional vet fees over time.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/

Oh yes I meant feet not metres! The run is permanently attached and is now on paving slabs due to the digging problem but I am going to grow a few trays of grass so they can still graze on it. Yes my two have had their vaccines and I’d only introduce neutered rabbits. So maybe one more provided bonding goes well.

Also I haven’t done anything with the second floor in the Wendy house, it’s up a ladder and about 8’by3’… any tips on how to keep the ladder but make it bunny friendly so they can make use of the extra floor space?

You could use a ramp instead of a ladder, raising the bottom up a little off the floor to make it less steep might help. Also you could use a tube such as a runaround tube.

You could use a ramp instead of a ladder, raising the bottom up a little off the floor to make it less steep might help. Also you could use a tube such as a runaround tube.
Mine are better with steps than ramps, they prefer the 'jumping' action to the crawling! As long as they can get all four feet on the 'step' it works for them :)

Back