• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon can I add bun 3

You might find that they accept each other more easily if you keep them together all the time, rather than splitting them up. They are having to start afresh each time working things out between them and establishing a heirarchy.

If they were together all day yesterday and there were no actual fights, then that's positive. It's acceptance you should be looking for at this stage, not best buddies. That might take time.
I did think that but it would mean moving thumper indoors and I don’t feel he’s ready and I darent leave them unsupervised as obviously ninja be to go to work...it’s exhausting and disheartening

So how are they behaving in each others company? Hows your girl with your outdoor boy? Will they eat together - when I bond I find a massive pile of forage is really good for this. Do they relax?

In my younger days I'd always go for the 24/7 non stop bond & whilst this would still be my preferred method, I just can't stay alert (read as awake if you please:lol:) & in my experience, my bunnies play up more if I move outside the bonding pen or room. I think they know I expect them to play nicely:lol: So I've done a few bonds, including a trio where I've had to split them up at night or only managed an average of 3-4 hours a day. But we got there eventually & none of those bunnies fell out once bonded

Thank you for the thoughts. Its very disheartening. I work a lot and darent leave alone so only get an hour each night together and more at weekend. Single boy is ok with my girl but constantly bites my boy and pulls fur thus he is terrified of him and runs a mile. Not much is changing and he is just alone in the pen with my 2 avoiding him. I know he's grieving his brother too and I don't want him alone outside this winter. But its becoming lookingblike they will never bond�� how many trios have you bonded??

Thank you for the thoughts. Its very disheartening. I work a lot and darent leave alone so only get an hour each night together and more at weekend. Single boy is ok with my girl but constantly bites my boy and pulls fur thus he is terrified of him and runs a mile. Not much is changing and he is just alone in the pen with my 2 avoiding him. I know he's grieving his brother too and I don't want him alone outside this winter. But its becoming lookingblike they will never bond�� how many trios have you bonded??

I don’t think you are ever going to have a chance to bond them if they are just meeting for an hour a day. The situation is just going to make any chance of this working unlikely as each encounter will be a negative experience for the two bucks. Resentment, fear and aggression will keep growing all the time, they won’t forget every negative encounter.

Some Rescues offer a bonding service where you pay for the Rabbits to go to stay with the Bonder who will be able to assess them and if they think there might be a chance that a bond could work if they remain together 24/7 under constant observation they will give it a try.This might take the Bonder some time to achieve and there isn’t a 100% guarantee that even if they bond as a trio at the Bonders that they won’t fall out again when they return home.

If you have at least a weeks holiday available to use from work that could be a time to attempt 24/7 bonding yourself.

Otherwise I am afraid you have to decide if you are going to have the single boy living indoors and move the two indoor Rabbits outdoors, have them all indoors, but not as a trio but as a bonded pair and a single, or rehome the single Buck

Personally I believe that having a single Rabbit living outdoors is never an option.

I really wouldn’t continue with the one hour a day meetings, it will just be stressful for all of them and make things worse as far as any possibility of bonding a trio goes.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do.

I'm sorry your single boy isn't getting along with the other boy. I don't think it's always necessary to do 24-hour bonding, but I don't think I would do bonding sessions of only one hour. They won't have time to get comfortable with each other in only one hour, as they'll need quite some time to establish their hierarchy before they can simply spend time together, and they can't move past that in only one hour. If you can do longer sessions in the weekends, I think I'd only try to bond them in the weekends and leave them be during the week, as it'll just be unneccesary stress to put them together for only one hour.

I'm sorry your single boy isn't getting along with the other boy. I don't think it's always necessary to do 24-hour bonding, but I don't think I would do bonding sessions of only one hour. They won't have time to get comfortable with each other in only one hour, as they'll need quite some time to establish their hierarchy before they can simply spend time together, and they can't move past that in only one hour. If you can do longer sessions in the weekends, I think I'd only try to bond them in the weekends and leave them be during the week, as it'll just be unneccesary stress to put them together for only one hour.

Agree with this. An hour at a time is just going to get them more worked up.

Ok ill try this, I just thought the more time the better, but I think your right ill just try the weekends now. I appreciate your advice so much guys

Ok ill try this, I just thought the more time the better, but I think your right ill just try the weekends now. I appreciate your advice so much guys
Good luck. I really hope it'll work out with the three of them. I know it can look bad at the start, but things really can get much better once they've figured out who's boss.

Its just so frustrating because I love them all so much and just want the best for them. Thank you. I have booked a weeks holiday in September so we shall see!!

Its just so frustrating because I love them all so much and just want the best for them. Thank you. I have booked a weeks holiday in September so we shall see!!
Aw, I know. Bonding sucks because you're stressing them out even though you know in the long run it'll give them the chance for more companionship. Having a week off to focus on bonding sounds like a great idea. I hope it'll go well!

Today it went worse. As thumper went for my boy after being together 5 hours my little benj screamed he was so terrified. Iv ended the whole thing and am very shaken. Seems hopeless. Not sure I dare try again. Only ever heard my teddy scream as he died and I'm actually traumatised still. To hear this again I obviously thought he had killed my boy and went Into huge panic. He was fine but to scream he must have been terrified this isn't not fair now. Gutted

Today it went worse. As thumper went for my boy after being together 5 hours my little benj screamed he was so terrified. Iv ended the whole thing and am very shaken. Seems hopeless. Not sure I dare try again. Only ever heard my teddy scream as he died and I'm actually traumatised still. To hear this again I obviously thought he had killed my boy and went Into huge panic. He was fine but to scream he must have been terrified this isn't not fair now. Gutted

I'm sorry it doesn't appear to be working out & it was traumatic today. I hope your boy that was scared is ok - have you double checked for wounds.

In answer to your question, only the one trio. I was very lucky to have those 3 bunnies together but I wouldn't try a trio again (I'd adopt a ready made one for sure). I do think threes & more are difficult to bond. It seems many behaviours are slower to come out & just so many different dynamics going on. Likely neither of your boys wants to adopt the submissive role (my new girl who I added to an existing pair fell beautifully into this role). I am generally of the opinion that most pairs will ultimately bond but I don't feel the same about groups.

I think I'd be inclined to call it a day. You are the best judge of how its going & it doesn't sound like you're feeling it. You tried though - you have to give yourself credit for your bravery.....it also takes guts to call an end to it. Plans B & C the forum came up with sound decent to me

I'm sorry it doesn't appear to be working out & it was traumatic today. I hope your boy that was scared is ok - have you double checked for wounds.

In answer to your question, only the one trio. I was very lucky to have those 3 bunnies together but I wouldn't try a trio again (I'd adopt a ready made one for sure). I do think threes & more are difficult to bond. It seems many behaviours are slower to come out & just so many different dynamics going on. Likely neither of your boys wants to adopt the submissive role (my new girl who I added to an existing pair fell beautifully into this role). I am generally of the opinion that most pairs will ultimately bond but I don't feel the same about groups.

I think I'd be inclined to call it a day. You are the best judge of how its going & it doesn't sound like you're feeling it. You tried though - you have to give yourself credit for your bravery.....it also takes guts to call an end to it. Plans B & C the forum came up with sound decent to me
Thank you. I'm genuinely gutted I am. Feel iv let them all down. Need take some time to have a rethink. Thank you for replying x

Back