• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay and straw warning.

I haven't noticed that because I buy mine from a little greengrocers. When I tell him I want a cabbage for my bunnies he gets me the biggest one in the shop - and it costs the same as a little one too. :lol:

oh i so want your green grocer *jealous*

oh i so want your green grocer *jealous*

You should have seen the celery! :lol:

I found it by chance, my mum told me that she'd buy some veggies for them on the way past it one day so we went in, and I asked him for a cabbage. He asked if I had any preference for size and I said "oh, well, it's for my bunnies" and he said "oh, here you go then!" and grabbed a whopper off the shelf in the back for me instead of the smaller ones on display in the front of the shop. :lol::love:

He is fabulous, though. Lovely fresh veggies, and oodles of them for the money. :D

I'd love a bale of hay, £4 at my local feed shop but I have no where to put it :roll: so I'm paying £2 for a bag...frustrating really!! also spring greens have gone up in morrisons last week from 68p to £1! :roll:

They sound pretty good. Do they have a physical shop, or is it all online? I drive, so not a lot of point paying a delivery charge if I can get there myself just as easily. :lol:
Its a physical shop.

I get it delivered, as I don't drive, but if you are picking up hay you can drop in for a coffeewhile your around in the area :)

Its a physical shop.

I get it delivered, as I don't drive, but if you are picking up hay you can drop in for a coffeewhile your around in the area :)

:lol: You will have to give me the address when I come to get the cage - sounds like it'd be worth my while to go there for the hay, the amount Faith eats!

I pay £20 a week for bale of haylage, £3 for a bale of hay & £1 for a bale of straw & it is all good stuff. The farmer said he will be putting his prices up next winter, as everyone keeps telling him he is cheap :shock:

The bale of haylage are great & the horses eat it non stop & it does 4 horses for a week, so I can't moan & he asn't said it is going up just yet.

The farmer I got my hay from before sold most of his abroad, because theres such a shortage this year, but the farmer I get my hay from now has no problem. It really depends on where you get it and what their own demand is. :wave:

Over here, due to dry weather and lack of rain, my Aug. supplier of hay sold their hay very fast, and I can't get any.
But same price as last year, $8 / bale (60 to 65 pounds)

So I went to another place and bought 2 bale for $6 ea., they are good quality hay, but some of the stem is not very long, so I have to throw again some hay, but I have more than enough.

But £20 to £30 per bale seems high, although I don't think you girls can buy hay over here due to shipping cost.

So the global bad weather is due to global warming, and what the farmer said is quite true, but the price still seems too high.

just picked up 2 hay bales yesterday-£4.50 each. smells fab and the buns love it. this will last around 2 months for the 7 buns. its used for their bedding, lining the hutch and in their runs they have hay boxes too!

it is stored in one of these large garden containers, along with all the other bunny stuff, newspaper, cardboard, cleaning materials, cloths etc.

We dont but bales of hay anymore as we are sure the hay was to blame for our myxi outbreak.2 other families had the myxi problem within a few weeks of having the same hay.

My brown wheelie bin in my case. It's perfect. I just have to sneak out on bin night and empty my recycling in someone else's bin.
hahaha brilliant. Im waiting for the guts to "borrow" one of the two communal bins that no one has claimed in months :roll: We did have two when we first moved in :roll: and I have tried to order a new green one, but they have run out.

http://www.nowrecycle.co.uk/wheeled-litre-p-44.html?osCsid=eft5q65ll02fd18p93epv6adv1 might be an investment ;) OH keeps saying he is sick of the hay everywhere in the house house, as it trails back inside (I am not the tidiest of people) this way it would be stored outside.

Do you think it could breathe in there?

Last edited:
Where do you store a bale of hay and straw and how?

I have my 2 bale sitting in the dinning room clothing door. I open it once a day to grab new hay.

onebaleofhay016it.jpg

Back