• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moths in hay?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I've always bought the ings hay from hay for pets, for over 10 years now! I've only had one bad batch which I found to be dusty. However I've been finding loads of tiny moths in my house, I thought they were clothes moths but haven't found any items of clothes damaged and the majority are always in the dining room where the rabbits and piggies are. I bought some moth traps and cedar wood bits to repel them but doesn't seem to be working, these only work for certain types of moth. Now I'm thinking could it be the hay? I also keep the hay in that room and saw a few on the bag in the night. The hay looks and smells fresh, but should I throw it and buy new? Could the moths be harmful to the pets? Might buy elsewhere in that case!

I've always bought the ings hay from hay for pets, for over 10 years now! I've only had one bad batch which I found to be dusty. However I've been finding loads of tiny moths in my house, I thought they were clothes moths but haven't found any items of clothes damaged and the majority are always in the dining room where the rabbits and piggies are. I bought some moth traps and cedar wood bits to repel them but doesn't seem to be working, these only work for certain types of moth. Now I'm thinking could it be the hay? I also keep the hay in that room and saw a few on the bag in the night. The hay looks and smells fresh, but should I throw it and buy new? Could the moths be harmful to the pets? Might buy elsewhere in that case!
Is that from hay and straw? Coz I used to buy the ings hay from them but one bag was full of small flying bugs so I never bought it again tbh [emoji51][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Is that from hay and straw? Coz I used to buy the ings hay from them but one bag was full of small flying bugs so I never bought it again tbh [emoji51][emoji38]

Oh yes sorry they changed the name a while back, hay and straw! It'd be a shame to change supplier as I know the company quite well now :( but yes I'm struggling to get rid of the moths now!

I've had grain moths before - they were coming from pet food (muesli type food, so it must have been mouse or hamster). If you go in pet shops, there are often moths circling around the pet foods. I guess they could come from hay too.

Oh yes sorry they changed the name a while back, hay and straw! It'd be a shame to change supplier as I know the company quite well now :( but yes I'm struggling to get rid of the moths now!

Yea maybe just contact them and say they'll probably send you a new bag and you can dump that one then.

Tbh I can't stand stuff like this with indoor buns so it was just an immediate no from me after that [emoji38]

Do you have any house plants in the rooms they're in? You can get those sticky traps for fungas gnats that you sick into the soil and also fly paper and also the window stickers which look like a flower, just thinking about how you get rid of your current population!

Thank you both. Yes I do have some house plants! I'll get some normal sticky traps. Yeah it has put me off a bit even thought I've been buying it so long

My bet is that they are clothes moths. We have them this time of the year and fortunately mostly catch them before they do any damage. You would be wise to try to catch one and identify it, by looking online. There are three or four different species.

Clothes moths fly around mostly at dusk. They will also attack carpets, especially around the edge of the room.

I don't have hay anymore, but I've got moths too :( tiny ones, not sure if they come in through windows, but lots of fields close by.

Do make sure they are not clothes moths as they can do a lot of damage.

Can't see any around clothes, and all my wintry stuff is in vacuum bags. Might get some of those cedar wood things that Liz mentioned, can't do chemicals because of George. Hope you get yours sorted Liz.

I moved the hay outside and since then no more moths! The traps that attract clothes moths haven't caught any. So they must have been from the hay. I'll get a new batch, maybe I'll try somewhere else in case it's a problem with that batch

Back