• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal's Choked Again :-(- U/D 24th September

Laura says Hal is not ready to hop over to The Bridge yet !!

Neither of us can understand how 'well within himself' he is given how knackered his lungs are. He is bright, VERY greedy, interactive with Jo and now VERY affectionate to me :love: Hal always used to be a nervous Rabbit and due to poor handling by his Breeder (picked up by his ears :cry:) he remained headshy. Not any more though, it is as if he knows I want to help him.

So we are taking things one day at a time. Laura is happy to allow me to keep an emergency supply of medication should another choke occur. She said that I am doing everything a Vet would do in the acute stage of a choking Rabbit and that Hal would be more likely to die if I did nothing but drive him to an Emergency Vet.

It has been bought to my attention that a few people are of the impression I self diagnose and treat my Rabbits. I have told Laura about this and she is happy to speak with anyone who has genuine concerns about my Rabbit's welfare

Laura can be contacted at Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- Tel: 0208-898-0528

She may not be able to speak with you immediately but she will call you back ASAP :)

Neither of us can understand how 'well within himself' he is given how knackered his lungs are. He is bright, VERY greedy, interactive with Jo and now VERY affectionate to me :love: Hal always used to be a nervous Rabbit and due to poor handling by his Breeder (picked up by his ears :cry:) he remained headshy. Not any more though, it is as if he knows I want to help him.

So we are taking things one day at a time. Laura is happy to allow me to keep an emergency supply of medication should another choke occur. She said that I am doing everything a Vet would do in the acute stage of a choking Rabbit and that Hal would be more likely to die if I did nothing but drive him to an Emergency Vet.

It has been bought to my attention that a few people are of the impression I self diagnose and treat my Rabbits. I have told Laura about this and she is happy to speak with anyone who has genuine concerns about my Rabbit's welfare

She may not be able to speak with you immediately but she will call you back ASAP :)

Not many people know to do anything but drive their rabbit to a vet

Glad to hear Hal is still well so far! :)
May he have many more bright and comfy days ahead with you and his beloved Jo! :love:
I feel for him with the head-shyness. Fiver was such a one due to four nasty boys using him as a plaything. He still isn't trusting of anyone near his ears/face despite my having him about four years now.
Some memories never fade I guess. :(

Glad to hear Hal is still well so far! :)
May he have many more bright and comfy days ahead with you and his beloved Jo! :love:
I feel for him with the head-shyness. Fiver was such a one due to four nasty boys using him as a plaything. He still isn't trusting of anyone near his ears/face despite my having him about four years now.
Some memories never fade I guess. :(

Thank you, poor Fiver :cry:

I do think we need a thread about what to do if a rabbit chokes :thumb:

Glad Hal is doing so well, very strange but great news :lol:

Ithink they have been made but never Pinned,
Its a sore subject for me (obviously.)
But we really do need one..

Jane could you do one for the forum, you know your stuff?

The only records of rabbits choking ive heard of unless the owner knows what theyre doing in such a scenario normally leads to death.
I must admit im at awe your Hals choked twice now and youve managed to keep him going.
I only wish i had half your knowledge :(

Big nose rubs to Hal:love:

Glad he's doing well today :D If people think you're diagnosing and treating without consulting a vet, they clearly haven't been reading your posts about the close relationship you have with your vets.

I honestly believe this can be the case. Many years ago when I was a teen and keeping my first bunnies, one of my girls got a mild case of flystrike. I picked up on it with routine bum checking, and saved her from it. She was never bothered by my prescence before, and very much independant, but after that she was very affectionate towards me and would actively run to me. Perhaps she linked the feeling uncomfortable below, me picking her up and removing them, then not feeling uncomfortable anymore. I don't know but I 100% am sure she knew I helped her with her change in behaviour after.

Great to hear Hal is doing well :love:

Glad he's doing well today :D If people think you're diagnosing and treating without consulting a vet, they clearly haven't been reading your posts about the close relationship you have with your vets.

It's OK, I hope that the option to contact my Vets to discuss any concerns a few people may have about my Rabbit's welfare will suffice :)

As to what to do if a Rabbit chokes, all I can say is what I have done and I may just have got 'lucky' that Hal survived.

I can post what I did if it would be helpful.

there's already a thread on choking rabbits with some good advice on it . I searched for it a while back and printed it off and it is in our bunny folder, the good info is in 3 or 4 posts a few pages in

discusses bunny hiemlich (which wasn't recommended) and a gentle swinging using gravity (and being careful not to lose grip or let bunny hit the floor)

then an obvious trip straight to the vets even if the pellet/obstruction is dislodged

it does sound risky and if like us your vets is 5 mins away, it would take a big judgement call i think

Back