• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aoife- U/D 17th Sept 2023- She’s Gone :-(

I'm so sorry Jane :(
Is it very hot over there or could it be something she's eating? I know these are triggers for Jenna.

Many vibes and prayers being sent for your lovely girl. xxxxx

Thankfully Aoife is now back to normal. It took about 10 minutes for her to properly ‘come to’ after the seizure which lasted about 3 minutes again. This time there were warning signs. She became disorientated with an increased respiratory rate a few minutes prior to the full seizure. I took this video of her immediately after the seizure in order to show our Vet. Aoife is completely oblivious to everything, but obviously stressed. After 10 minutes or so like this she was pottering about eating hay as if nothing had happened.

*WARNING, VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AS YOU MIGHT FIND CONTENT UPSETTING*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3n1HX0FI0

I am sorry she had another seizure. I hope an adjustment to her meds will control these events. It is good she is able to go back to eating and pottering around after she takes a few minutes to settle.
It must still be so difficult for you to witness.
I liked reading how helpful she is when you bathe her eyes and give her care. She deserves the little carrot treats.
Sending you big hugs.

Jenna can spend as much as an hour and a half after a grand mal just pacing and crying. As if the seizure itself isn't frightening enough to witness. :cry:

I empathize with you, Jane. Continuing vibes and prayers for you and your special girl. xxxxx

Aoife has been fine all night. She has been very busy munching tons and tons of hay and playing with her toys. She even chose to come and lay next to me. I am sleeping in her enclosure atm and she fell asleep pressed against me :love:

We are going to hold off starting her on anticonvulsants just yet. This decision will be under constant review depending on what each day brings regarding her having more seizures.

Once again, thank you to all who are being supportive and caring :love:

She really trusts and loves you to sleep next to you, though it must be very uncomfortable for you. You may need your own pot.:D:love:

Alice is very unwell today :cry:

We are possibly going to have to make some difficult decisions :cry:

Too upset to go into details, but we’d appreciate any spare vibes please x

Sending all my love and vibes. These poorly bunnies just break your heart. I'm wishing the very best for your girl. Xx

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry, Jane. :cry:
All the strongest get well vibes for Aoife on the way, forthwith. ((((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxxx

So sorry that she is so unwell.

Get better soon little one xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. Aoife has improved a bit after increasing her dose of metacam. My Vet thinks she probably had a minor seizure this morning. She wasn’t eating and was completely spaced out, as if she was heavily sedated. This has now resolved and she has started eating again.

I am finding it hard to cope with never knowing when she could have another seizure :cry:

I'm so glad she's eating. She couldn't be in better hands than with you looking after her.
Hopefully a cause of the seizures will show in time or even better a way to stop them :love:

Back