• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ginger.. not drinking :( UD: Normal service has returned.

Off to the vets we went. She's has fluids but they can't find anything wrong with her and she had been managing so well in her own so we aren't sure what's going on.

Have syringed a total of 100ml today so far and she's taking it and seems to want more. Have tried lacing the water and placing it in places all over the house but she's just not interested. She's drunk from the bowl once today and that's it.

I just don't understand.

Vet is going to show me how to do it next time we are in normally which will be helpful. She's getting more and more stressed of late during trips for some reason so anything we can do at home would be great.

Sorry for taking so long. Have internet problems and so am typing this from phone so apologies for typos.

[possibly stupid question]

Could her tongue be hurting her? I'm wondering if she can't lap it up like normal?

[/possibly stupid question]

Sending tons of vibes Graham. As you said earlier this week there are an awful lot of bunnies feeling off colour at the moment, very bizarre. Hoping she starts drinking lots very quickly.

[possibly stupid question]

Could her tongue be hurting her? I'm wondering if she can't lap it up like normal?

[/possibly stupid question]

Its possible I suppose. Vet did check her mouth but OBV can't see everything.

Thank you everyone.

She's had another 100ml syringed and she's licking the syringe after as if she wants more. I try more and she just paws at the syringe.

Just keeping it up for now.

Was only talking to the vet on Thursday too as langford got back to him.

Great bank holiday so far... :(

Hope everyone and everybun else is okay.

Just found this. So sorry lovely little Ginger hasn't been too good. Sounds like you're doing everything you can for her and she appreciates it. Sending lots of drinking vibes xxx

What I don't understand is that she is still eating hay like its going out of fashion. Normally she runs upstairs in the crate again after aboout 15mins of eating it but now she just hops out of the tray and flops, but is alert yet doesn't fancy much running around.

She is currently dbf'd upstairs in the crate.
More syringing at 7 so we will see.

This is similar to Biccy post neuter. He would eat but wouldn't drink.

I'm wracking my brains trying to work out what I could have done to cause this or what could be wrong but I keep coming up with big fat zero.

Why would you have done anything?

Is it possible that she's just not thirsty? Or maybe she is getting 'spoilt' with being 'handfed' water?

Those would be preferable options to choosing not to drink for some reason.

Adding my vibes. I've noticed Sue isn't drinking as much as usual either. I think that may be because she has been in the garden though and nommed loads of grass and brambles. Hopefully, she got enough moisture from those. Has Ginger had more veg than usual?

I hope she picks up a bit tonight. It will be nothing you have done, she is a bun with medical issue who will have good days and bad but whatever happens you are there for her day after day.:wave:

Back