• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage Help please!

SJH

Warren Veteran
I've been out cutting the hedges today and have salvaged all the foragy clippings!

However, most of the local brambles seem to have a sort of white pattern this year. Is this a disease or is it still safe?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you live in the Fens by any chance? It's thrip damage, no worries to the buns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you!

No. North west actually but that's a relief! I rely on brambles for winter forage. :)

Oh, the only reason I ask is that thrips are the bane of everyone's life in the Fens during harvest. Glad to hear I could be of reassurance :)

Thanks for your help. :)

Another one: much of the local willow has had small brown spots this year. Again, a problem or not? Thanks for your help.

Just a fungal disease, can't see it harming bunnies but I'm no expert. Thrip damage is just little nibbles out of the leaves so no risk at all.

Just a fungal disease, can't see it harming bunnies but I'm no expert. Thrip damage is just little nibbles out of the leaves so no risk at all.

Thank you!!

Anyone else any ideas? :)

I wouldn't dry the willow leaves for winter use, but would use them fresh if they were the best / only ones available.

I can pick you some big bundles of fresh willow from the allotment if you want to collect from Bradford - similar arrangement to last time. Let me know.

I wouldn't dry the willow leaves for winter use, but would use them fresh if they were the best / only ones available.

I can pick you some big bundles of fresh willow from the allotment if you want to collect from Bradford - similar arrangement to last time. Let me know.

Thank you. It's good to know I can use it for now but I do rely heavily on dried willow during the winter.

I'm going to drive over to a local village with a big tree on the green to see if it's suitable to prune..... Otherwise, I may take you up on your very kind offer :)

We're having a bad year locally. There's some of this brown on one of the hawthorn hedges too. Luckily, there are so many, that's ok.

Back