• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Florence's (and now Beatrice's!) piglets!

hi

Piggies look so funny binkying as they have such short legs - they look more like corn popping in a pan as it's just a pop up and down - The bunnies hurl themselves up high and shake their bums at the sky :lol:

Baby piggies doing fine, all tricolours like Milo, Harriet and Imogen - Mum seems OK so far - This is definitely my limit with furries! (oh no I couldn't possibly be tempted in any way, ever :wink: )

I seem to remember offering Tansy a home last week, but she's the last! :p

Oooooooh Elve, I was thinking of what to do with bandits cage now his gone and I'm thinking PIGGIES :D I've never had them before but yours sound sooooooooo cute POPCORNING :lol: :lol:

Bandit's cage is a 4ft indoor Ferplast, would that be ok for a piggie or two.

Can anyone give me a piggie rehome site to look at, I'm just outside London.

hi

there's guineapigrehome - done by Tamsin too - I can't decide if I can manage 21 piggies or not, but they need to go to experienced, indoor homes in pairs or to home with another, and I'm not homing babies under 4 months old - I think a 4' cage is just big enough for one piggie really, or a bonded pair that never fight, and get a run out every day - Mine are in 2' ones at the mo, which seemed huge compared with the breeder unit they came in, but I can see a large investment in hutches is going to be needed soon as 4' is the biggest cage I can find :?

Guinea pigs need grooming, bathing, worming, claw clipping and lots more cleaning out than litter trained bunnies - but they ain't half cute :wink:

Just wish I didn't need so much sleep :roll:

I think youre doing an amazing job - not doing so well resisting temptation though eh?!! :roll:

Have just realised that the small dogs bed in your sig is the same as the one I bought for Polly and Pip the other day in Wilkos!! Havent seen them in it yet but they love going on top of it :roll:

hi

Yes I love Wilkos! Might get a teeshirt made with that on one day :lol:

My bunnnies ATE the dog bed, so now the piggies have it - naughty bunnies :roll:

Just put the 'infertile' Abigail in the run with Emily and she was doing an awful lot of mounting - hope it was just dominance....or is she really a he? :? :shock:

Beattie's babies are gorgeous - chocolate and ginger - they feel like those crinkly furred Ty beanie baby bears, but warm :love:
Haven't sexed them yet as I don't want to stress them out - but I can't wait to see what we have :D

To solve the cage size problem you can join two cages together - at least it works with ferplasts. In my shed I have the cages stacked up and joined, although they aren't warm enough for winter in a shed, except for use as a run :? So this makes a 2m long cage which is good for a guinea or three and even for rabbits in a pinch. They can also be divided if there is an emergency and more animals need to be accomodated. I have just bid on another cage on ebay so that I will have three of these long double cages. The shed rabbits are using the bottom one to hop into when they want to and an Ark piggie is in the other double and an Ark pig is in the top single, soon to be a double if I win the auction. But as these aren't warm enough I am plotting to buy stacks of tiered hutches for the pigs to overwinter in. I want at least 4ft by 2ft, but would prefer 5ft by 2ft but these seem harder to find as well as more expensive. I need six hutches as I don't want to mix up all the piggies like I did last year letting them run on the shed floor as their skin suffered as a result, plus the shed rabbits mean the floor is not for the pigs this year anyway. Having no money means this is going to be a credit card job :roll: But they are worth it :D
Any girlies you can spare are welcome to come and partake of the accomodation on offer :D Poor Henry is all alone :cry: And Finn's prospective girlie is getting on so well with her temporary group that I would prefer not to move her. Then Finn would be all alone too :cry: I NEED GIRLY PIGS. Plus the Ark boys need girly friends. Poor chaps are all alone too :cry: But I would keep any of yours you let me have Elve :D (I may still keep the Ark boys, I don't think they really want multiple groups of guineas there)

hi

Aww thanks - don't you get tired of all the work though :shock:

Erm...I'm a bit thick here - how exactly do you join cages? Mine are the Marchioro type so I was thinking of taking the side doors off and making a ramp over the plastic base for them to troll from one cage to the other? :?

hi

they are - but they grow so fast :shock: The boys will be leaving Florence this week, poor babies :( The lucky girls get milk on tap till Florence gets fed up with them - It's really amazing how fast they mature - one of Beattie's babies was chewing hay this morning! Bet he's a boy :wink:

With the ferplast ones you can take the corner clips off and swing the side panels up and in and tie them to the roof, then put them end to end. Most piggies can manage jumping over the sides of the trays to go from one to the other.

I have emailed both HH and Ryedale about triple hutches. I would go with the Ryedale ones as they are except I don't think they would go in through the shed door :?

hi

HH are self assembly I think - will that be a job for your handy son? :wink:

Meanwhile, Beattie's babies pose beautifully for the camera - unlike Florence's mad bunch of wrigglers :lol:

She seems to have 3 boys - although without a magnifying glass I can't be sure as they are only about 8cm from head to toe! - Say hello to Henry, Hugo and Oliver :love:

beattiesboys.jpg

I am smitten. :love:

If they were female I would be forced to send Strawberry to pignap them :shock:

Unfairly gorgeous.

I hope Q will help me if I get the hutches from HH :lol: I'll have to bribe him with chocolate :lol: :lol: (And I will share it :lol: )

hi

Yes I breathed a sigh of relief when they were all boys :lol:

Not that I'm selfish in any way.... :roll: :oops:

It will give me 5 pairs of boys which is great as I hope I don't have to neuter any more of them - do they absolutely HAVE to be out of the way of female gps? Is it the sound or the smell or the sight of them that sets them off? It would be much nicer if I could keep them in the house in the same room as the females - I could get my kitchen back! :D

I didn't even know what an alpaca was 6 weeks ago - I looked at some breed websites today trying to find out how to groom them - I think they will all need regular haircuts :shock: (enter the site to see what I mean)
http://www.nikkimatthews.com/
Poor piggies - I feel so sorry for animals bred for looks :(
Emily's little girls are already getting matts - will have to groom them much more than I realised - although Sabrina, longest coat of all, keeps herself immaculate....don't know how she gets her parting so straight :shock: :lol:

I trimmed the only Peruvian today - Delores the not pregnant - thank goodness I won't be having a tribe of them as her hair has grown unbelievably fast...Sadly she doesn't look too glamorous after my efforts :oops:

hi

Florence's piglets enjoying a run - aged just 2 and a half weeks, almost as big as mum and nearly ready to leave home :shock:

Lucky Florence - it's a looooong job for us hoomans with pups :roll:

floandpups.jpg

Back