• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver U/D post #65-still doing great! :)

Aw poor man. I think seeing u and of u can spend some time with Fiver and perhaps u try and tempt him with herbs or do a syringe feed he may feel more comfortable and willing with u there. My Rosie was in the vets for 9 days after a blockage and tooth root absess and was very ill. I understand ur stress of being far from the vets as I was 90 mins drive. I hated being do far from her. Sending vibes for Fiver and u and hopefully u can bring him home soon.

Thanks Scrappy, I hope he does too. :(

Just saw your post, nickbunny...yeah, I wish I could go in just to see him, even if he couldn't come home, but it's just too far to drive round trip, it's about 45 mins each way...used to be thirty but that was when OH drove. :lol: He's a leadfoot that one.

I'd had some errands to run too before I picked Fiver up, now I either have to go in tomorrow to do those if I go get him now, or wait and see if we can get it all done at once...agh....it's so frustrating.

My Yorkie had to stay in for four days when she had her vasculitis a few years ago...that was torture for both of us. She has bad separation anxiety, she can't stand it if I just move to another room. :( You can imagine what a bundle of nerves she was by the time I went to pick her up!

I just don't want him to be hurting. If he's still passing blood and in pain, it's best he stays put. It's a bad road out here, lots of bumping and sliding about...it won't do for him to relapse because of that. :(

Last edited:
Well that's that. Doctor hasn't seen him yet, so I guess he's staying in. I couldn't possibly drive in in time to meet closing now anyway. :(
She'll call me after closing if there's anything to report. The receptionist said he is trying to eat a little hay, but is still mostly being syringe fed.
*sigh* The joys of bunny ownership! :lol: I'll let everyone know any updates, but I'm off to try and pick up a few supplies at my local mini mart since I didn't get into town. :) Ta!

hopefully after another day or so of inpatient care fiver will be well enough to return home

sending lots more vibes

Thank you Zoobec and Jane :)
Well I'm about to begin cleaning up Pip and Mimzy (so strange not to be tending Fiver yet :( ) and the cats and dogs and I'm off to the land of Nod. I need to leave here about 1 PM tomorrow and, knowing how my insomnia gets worse when I'm worried, I hope not to be still twiddling my thumbs at stupid o'clock! :roll:

(Oh dear...forgot the Archer's Omnibus is on tonight...ah well...I might be listening to that then!)

I'll still be checking posts and peeking in here while though. :) I am really hoping he is doing better so he can come home, he has been very much missed these few days. :cry: I'm just so glad the vet was able to help him at all, honestly for how long he was having trouble, I might've gotten some very different news.

Thank you so much bunny momma :love: Your words are so kind. I am glad to hear your little bub did so well after surgery, and also sorry to hear that he is no longer with us. He does sound to have lived a good long life. :)

Okay, just got off the phone with his doctor.
The stone was lodged in the urethra, so there was some tug and pull to get it out. As such, he wants to be sure there was no damage done to the bladder wall and Fiver will be closely monitored at least through tomorrow. If he has no leakage, it will be okay to bring him home. However, since we live so far out, I may have him kept till Saturday to be certain he will be alright.

His vet is flying out tomorrow for two days (not sure why, I didn't pry) and so the practice manager vet will be watching Fiver to see how he gets on. He is not out of the woods by any means, but the vet said his heart rate and breathing stabilized well after the stone was extracted, so he will be feeling much better now. He thinks he is doing well so far and hopes are high that he will recover fully.

I feel terrible still. I should've seen this coming with how sedentary he was getting and how I was feeding him. It just does not do to gamble with oxalates. We will be adjusting his diet along with the recommendations of the lab who will test his stone.

Personally, back to hay and water I think for my little man. They've not failed him to this point and it was only my stupidity that brought this on by adding veggies he did not need and that weren't right for him. :( And perhaps a little more exercise, whether he likes it or not! :?

Onward and upwards. If everyone would please continue to think of him and wish him well in his recovery. I am so very grateful to you all! :) xxxxxxx

I am glad they located the cause of Fiver's issue and were able to remove the stone. Please don't blame yourself for not noticing, my Amigo was hours from being an emergency case before I realized how ill he became. I suspect it was not until Fiver's stone moved into his urethra that it suddenly became evident he had an issue. Bunnies can live with stones for years. I have had three bunnies with stones, and it was only when the stone caused irritation/infection that these individuals became suddenly ill.

Some of my bunnies would have a lot of gas, soft poo from feeding vegetables. In fact, Amigo and his brother both lived very long lives on diets that were limited in greens. Every bunny is different and I agree that it is never wrong to stick with what works.

Hello everyone! Thank you so much again for all the vibes! I am certain they have worked. :D

Latest Fiver update coming up:

Well I got to bring him home this afternoon. (It's about midnight here now.) I have to say, I think he was glad to hear my voice and see it was me coming to get him. His head came up when he heard my voice and he fixed an eye on me and hardly let me out of his sight from that point. He was VERY stressed when I first saw him, apparently they'd had a hard time getting him into his carrier. :( I wish I'd known, I would've gone back and helped them, he will let me catch him on occasion and probably would've been a lot calmer if I'd retrieved him. But after I got him home (the car ride was a little stressful) and he'd gone into his enclosure he immediately jumped into his litterbox and went face first into his hay basket and began eating! :lol: They were still syringe feeding him today and said I should be prepared to do so, I don't think I'm going to have to!

He did seem to get a bit uncomfy about 9 PM tonight and I'd forgotten that they hadn't given him metacam in the evenings, so I dosed him and within a half hour he was able to lie down again. Seems like he flinches a bit when he tries to pee or poo, I guess that's to be expected for awhile. He is on strict cage rest for two weeks. :( That's going to make him unhappy, but we don't want him tearing anything.

He's not drinking much, but I've given him a nice portion of green leaf lettuce tonight to take his meds with. He is on Trimeth Sulfa for two weeks. He sucks it right down like a trooper. I've seen only a little wee in his tray tonight, but none of it is that horrible brown color. He is a different bunny from the one I took in as an emergency three days ago.

It's so nice to see him laying in his cuddly cup. The last time I saw him he was hunched over in terrible pain and squeaking. I never want to see that again.

He also apparently tore two toenails while he was there. Perhaps they got caught in the bedding I had in his carrier or in his cage at the vets, but they clipped them all so at least I don't have to do those now. Sadly I didn't get anything for his sore hock, but I'll call his vet tomorrow (he should be back in town) and see if he'll script him some silvadine. ( <sp? )

I'm to check the incision at least once a day, but not wash it. He has no follow up appointment set, I'll ask the vet about that also tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone who has been puling for him. :love: You are all so wonderful! And Fiver wants me to be sure you all know how grateful he is for your vibes. They clearly helped him get through this terrible ordeal. :)

Bless you all! xxxxx

I'm sorry I'm only just reading all this but I'm so glad he's back home & loving his food.
Sending some more vibes to help with the long recovery ahead.

I'm so relieved to hear that Fiver is home !! You have had such a stressful few days, heres hoping that Fiver will soon be fully healed xx

Very happy to read this update. What a relief he's eating hay and likes his medicine!! I bet you were glad they gave the Trimeth rather then Baytril.

I wonder if his nails got caught when they were syringe feeding him?

Hope you continue to see a content bunny with good appetite.
{{{Fiver, Tooey, MM}}}

Hello everyone! Thank you so much again for all the vibes! I am certain they have worked. :D

Latest Fiver update coming up:

Well I got to bring him home this afternoon. (It's about midnight here now.) I have to say, I think he was glad to hear my voice and see it was me coming to get him. His head came up when he heard my voice and he fixed an eye on me and hardly let me out of his sight from that point. He was VERY stressed when I first saw him, apparently they'd had a hard time getting him into his carrier. :( I wish I'd known, I would've gone back and helped them, he will let me catch him on occasion and probably would've been a lot calmer if I'd retrieved him. But after I got him home (the car ride was a little stressful) and he'd gone into his enclosure he immediately jumped into his litterbox and went face first into his hay basket and began eating! :lol: They were still syringe feeding him today and said I should be prepared to do so, I don't think I'm going to have to!

He did seem to get a bit uncomfy about 9 PM tonight and I'd forgotten that they hadn't given him metacam in the evenings, so I dosed him and within a half hour he was able to lie down again. Seems like he flinches a bit when he tries to pee or poo, I guess that's to be expected for awhile. He is on strict cage rest for two weeks. :( That's going to make him unhappy, but we don't want him tearing anything.

He's not drinking much, but I've given him a nice portion of green leaf lettuce tonight to take his meds with. He is on Trimeth Sulfa for two weeks. He sucks it right down like a trooper. I've seen only a little wee in his tray tonight, but none of it is that horrible brown color. He is a different bunny from the one I took in as an emergency three days ago.

It's so nice to see him laying in his cuddly cup. The last time I saw him he was hunched over in terrible pain and squeaking. I never want to see that again.

He also apparently tore two toenails while he was there. Perhaps they got caught in the bedding I had in his carrier or in his cage at the vets, but they clipped them all so at least I don't have to do those now. Sadly I didn't get anything for his sore hock, but I'll call his vet tomorrow (he should be back in town) and see if he'll script him some silvadine. ( <sp? )

I'm to check the incision at least once a day, but not wash it. He has no follow up appointment set, I'll ask the vet about that also tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone who has been puling for him. :love: You are all so wonderful! And Fiver wants me to be sure you all know how grateful he is for your vibes. They clearly helped him get through this terrible ordeal. :)

Bless you all! xxxxx

I am so glad to hear he is home and eating his hay. You mention he is not drinking much so allow me to offer some suggestions. While Fiver may not be dehydrated, a few extra fluids may help to dilute his urine and help to minimize any irritation. You may want to ask your vet about your getting some fluids to give Fiver sub-Q at home. If not, you may want to syringe some extra water into his mouth.

Good news! I'm glad Fiver is home! I hope he can keep calm enough for the two weeks while he recovers.

Hi all, thanks again for all the well wishes! :)

Ah, so...today I was a little alarmed when I could see he'd peed in his cuddly cup bed. :( And as I was trying to get hold of him to lift him out and examine his suture area, he deliberately weed over the outer edge of his bedding and it definitely is a shade of red, but it is very dilute. So he is drinking a bit more and there is output, that is good. My vet knows I am rubbish with sub q's but if I feel he needs them I will attempt it, (I still have Tooey's bag here, unused) he is far too active at present, so with some added (non oxalate) greens I think we can manage his hydration okay. :)

His suture looks very good and, as long as he didn't tear it open getting back in his pen, it is still thus.

He is washing the area repeatedly though, and he's starting to accumulate a little urine/cecal staining on his nether regions, but I hope this will go with time. I am not to clean the suture area, but it will be difficult to hold him without him squirming if I need to wash his bum. :(

Not quite sure yet if he has an incontinence problem. I hope not, but it's too early to tell for certain.

He apparently only had one 0.3 ml helping of metacam per day while in hospital and I can see a clear difference in him now, pre-dose and post...I am concerned, though, that my usual administration of 0.35 mls twice a day of dog metacam is too much for a bunny weighing in at around 1500 + grams. Perhaps someone who knows can advise?

Jersey, so good to see you here! :) I never got a look at the stone or the xray, although I have the dictated notes of all his procedures now going back a few years. His op seemed to go very smoothly except for getting at the stone. His midline incision is at least 6 inches long. :( If I didn't know better I would've thought they'd just spayed him! I can only imagine how painful those guts were the first 24 hours...after all, I remember my Cesarean section and recovery very well! :(

I will probably call the vet tomorrow since today was his normal surgery day. I'd like to hear a few more details of what went on, plus I'm eager to know the stone composition so we can avoid this recurring in future.

Fiver sends lots of love to all his fans! :) xxxx

Back