• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver U/D post #65-still doing great! :)

Oh no MimzMum, I am sorry Fiver has been poorly and had to have surgery. I hope he is doing well today. He really does sound very much like my Lola xx

Only just seen this. Sending millions of vibes for Fiver, hopefully by the time you get up his operation will be over and he will be feeling much better. Xxx

Sorry to be so late seeing this but good to see positive update. Sending all the vibes possible for a good and speedy recovery.

We're all sending mega healing vibes from here!
Don't be hard on yourself. You did what you could and got him into the vet's as quick as possible being so far out.
The most difficult thing is that they can't shout to you in big neon letters what is making them poorly.
Hope he continues to do well.

Wow, thank you all so much! :love: I am so overwhelmed by all your good wishes. I will be sure to pass them on to my little soldier. :)
The latest news for Fiver is that he was able to eat a little for himself, but he is still being syringe fed. He has been able to wee now, but of course since this is a VERY vascular area of the body, he is passing blood and the vet really wanted to keep an eye on him for a bit longer, so he is staying in hospital tonight and she hopes that he will be able to come home tomorrow. Sounds like he will still need syringe feeding here at home, so I'll have to be sure I have a good supply of Critical Care.

The vet was happy with his progress so far though, but I do get the feeling he was really wiped out from the whole ordeal from the tone of her voice, so I am glad to have him stay in.

newbabybuns, I have been meaning to catch up on Lola's progress. How is she doing now?
Honestly, I really do feel in my case that I should've seen this coming on as Fiver had been acting oddly for a bit leading up to this. When I think back to my kidney stone episode, there were pains that I should've paid more attention to. I don't know that I could've avoided it at all, but I might've been able to make passing my stone a bit easier than it was. And I do feel that had I taken Fiver to the ER vet, he might've wound up with a burst bladder. Even the vet tech at my surgery said that she agreed with my decision not to take him to them and that I'd made the better choice to wait, but it was just so hard to watch him hurt. :(
Knowing what I know now, I can definitely say that this is not something that shows up overnight and the signs are there, but they are very subtle. I would still have Lola tested for bladder or kidney issues if everything else has been ruled out and she is still showing these symptoms you described. But I really hope she is doing better. ((((Hugs)))) xxxx

So pleased to see that he is doing well. Sending lots more vibes for Fiver and hugs for you.

Just caught up with your thread ! Sending loads of vibes for Fiver, and hugs to you. Hope he's home soon xxxxx

I'm glad he's doing well, I hope he can come home soon, I'm sure you will feel better once he is back where he belongs :) sending more vibes xx

Well, it's about 2:45 PM here and I am still waiting for the vet to have examined Fiver today. (She's been delayed somehow, not sure if it's by busy office or if she isn't there yet.) They close at 5 so if they don't get back to me before 4 PM, I won't get there in time to pick him up anyway. :(
They say he's still not eating by himself (he is being syringe fed) and they aren't sure if he isn't still having some discomfort when he passes poos, so I am wondering if I should leave him there one more night. They do think his surroundings might be a factor. :(

If I bring him home though, and he has a problem, we're sunk.

I know no one's probably on right now, but thought I'd give the update. We'll see if he comes home or not in a few hours. :(

I reckon if he's borderline it's probably best for him to stay there until he's definitely well enough, with you being so far away from the vets. Sending lots more vibes xx

Thanks Zoobec :) That's what I think too, but then I know my OH is going to be all, "Jeeze, how much more is this gonna cost?"
:roll:
But yeah, better safe than sorry. He could be not eating because he's scared or he might still be hurting. I know how my kidneys, etc. felt after my stent surgery...not fun. And it wipes you out. Something about that area of the body is so sensitive even days to weeks after a procedure like this. He's not a young bun anymore, it's going to take longer to heal. :(

My poor wee man...I miss him and I feel terrible if he has to stay in again, but.... *head spins*

Oh poor Fiver :( I know how hard it is when they have to stay in longer but given the circumstances it does sound like the best option. I really hope he starts to perk up soon xx

Back