• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye removal question/ includes piccys/ UD post 40

Poor little man :(
Hopefully the antibiotics will work and he'll be able to have his eye sorted out.
Tons of vibes and snuggles for him :love:

I have emailed the rescue i got Frank from now that he has seen a vet and they were so concerned that they rang me up :)

At least I have some more info now. His eye was stitched together when he arrived at there rescue and it only came apart on Thursday. It was removed originally due to an abscess. This really concerns me as if it was removed that long ago and it has come a part and infected at this late stage with no signs of healing inside its not good news :(

I was hoping it was due to injury as he has some old scars on his ears but apparently this is due to a fox attack, so poor Frank has had a really traumatic time of it :(

Anyway the rescue was really apologetic and said they didn;t realise how bad his eye was :( It would never have stopped us taking him even if we had of known. I just hope we can get the infection under control and get him well again.

poor Frank :'(
He sounds like his been through it all :(

i hope he heals and gets better!
Im sure with you taking good care of him he will!

:love:

Hi
I've just seen this post and am at work and can't read all the replies.... but... I am proud Mummy of Banjo who was born with a poorly eye and had to have it removed. He is absolutely fine and just looks a little odd because although there is nothing to see (eyelids stitched together and healed up), he doesn't have the cartilege where his eyebrow used to be, so his face is a bit flatter on one side.
He's a French Lop btw, and I took him because he really needed a home with an experienced owner. He's a total joy to have around, and I think it was quite a relief to him to lose the eye - he couldn't see out of it anyway.

I'm sure that your bun will be fine - the pus will need to be drained of course, but you may be surprised by how fast he improves.

Dx

Hey Liz
only just seen this, so not sure how much use by input would be, but from our surgery lectures at uni (so this is theory, not practice as not seen one yet) when they do eye removal surgery they either
(a) stitch is closed but insert a drain - you're probably seen one, like a piece of tubing, that allows the pus or any other fluid collection, to escape from the wound. This is because the socket essentially becomes 'dead space' and even with incredibly aseptic surgery its easy for them to become infected and fill with pus as the immune cells can't penetrate to do anything about it.
(b) leave it open or partially open - this is for the same reason, but it allows the socket to drain naturally, and the tissues heal by 'second intention' i.e. granulation tissue naturally forms over the socket tissue, then epithelium. the wound naturally contracts down and the eyelids heal together, which is more likely to be lumpy but is naturally resistant to infection.

So, if it was left open or partly open they may have gone for the second option, but this does normally require very intensive nursing, for obvious reasons, so would normally be kept in hospital.

It doesnt surprise me that so many eye removals have ended in infection as its really hard to prevent anyway, especially as it sounds like most didnt have drains fitted? :?

It doesnt surprise me that so many eye removals have ended in infection as its really hard to prevent anyway, especially as it sounds like most didnt have drains fitted? :?

AFAIK rabbits don't have drains fitted because their pus doesn't drain away, it just sits in the wound like cottage cheese

AFAIK rabbits don't have drains fitted because their pus doesn't drain away, it just sits in the wound like cottage cheese

I've seen rabbits with drains, the aim is to prevent the pus from sitting in the wound. If it doesnt drain regularly they should have either an active drain fitted or daily wound flushing. It should never just be left in there. if its turned to cottage cheese its been left too long.

I've seen rabbits with drains, the aim is to prevent the pus from sitting in the wound. If it doesnt drain regularly they should have either an active drain fitted or daily wound flushing. It should never just be left in there. if its turned to cottage cheese its been left too long.

Is the drain left in to keep the wound open for flushing? Or is it to encourage it to dry out with contact with the air? It's something I've never seen (or really thought about) before, so would be very interesting to know a bit more :wave:

Back