• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye removal question/ includes piccys/ UD post 40

I think this is the problem when you run off a foster based system with a rescue. If the foster is a fair distance from said vet, how can you guarantee it will get to the same vet if follow up treatment is needed? :? And how can you keep an eye on their progress at a fosters unless you speak every few days?

That said, Frank is a beautiful boy and he ran straight over to me on arrival for a cuddle :love:

Very true.

I wasn't under the impression that the eye removal was a recent thing though. I assumed from the way it was mentioned that it happened before he arrived at the rescue as he hasn't been with them long :? The only treatment he had from the note I was given is a tear duct flush and no antibiotics :?

Even more miffed now :(

Just gone back to checked passed emails and it states that Frank had a health check at the vets when he went to the rescue and had no health problems:shock: This was a month ago :?

His eye "surgery" if thats what happened, was done before he went to the rescue, so that means he has had an open socket, probably infected throughout, for quite sometime :(

I can see this boy needing a major op, and at over 7 years old this isn't going to be easy for him. I can also see the vet bill going into the £100's.

Fingers crossed its not as bad as it seems when he is at the vets Tuesday :?

How bizarre :?

They use the same vets as me, and there is no way my vets would not have picked up on his eyes, especially if noted to them about his past troubles with it :?

How bizarre :?

They use the same vets as me, and there is no way my vets would not have picked up on his eyes, especially if noted to them about his past troubles with it :?

But I have the receipt for his treatment in November. they gave him a tear duct flush under GA and thats it :shock: No antibiotics, anything :roll: and then the rescue have emailed me to say he has no health problems no mention of a GA or eye problems :shock:

It wouldn't have made any difference to us taking him so why lie to us and then give us the receipt. :?

I think they need to be slightly more honest with potential new owners or they are going to become unstuck :(

At least Frank is here now and is going to get all the treatment he needs and thats the important thing :)

But I have the receipt for his treatment in November. they gave him a tear duct flush under GA and thats it :shock: No antibiotics, anything :roll: and then the rescue have emailed me to say he has no health problems no mention of a GA or eye problems :shock:

It wouldn't have made any difference to us taking him so why lie to us and then give us the receipt. :?

I think they need to be slightly more honest with potential new owners or they are going to become unstuck :(

At least Frank is here now and is going to get all the treatment he needs and thats the important thing :)

How was he first described to you when you took him in?

Poor little man, he is such a loving bun :(

How was he first described to you when you took him in?

Poor little man, he is such a loving bun :(

This is copied and pasted from the email

Frank is now with us as a 3rd time rescue rabbit (hasn't previously been with us though) we had him health checked last week and he's ok for his age, no teeth or health problems, just old

This is copied and pasted from the email

Frank is now with us as a 3rd time rescue rabbit (hasn't previously been with us though) we had him health checked last week and he's ok for his age, no teeth or health problems, just old

Hmm, yeah, that is definately off. :? :roll:

Has he eaten since arriving? He only had a little nibble on carrot here and wasn't interested in anything else.

I almost didn't give Frank over yesterday, he is just too loveable! We spent the time waiting snuggled up on the sofa on RU :lol: :love:

No he's not eating, just drinking. He doesn't seem ill as such and is washing and moving around, so hopefully its just the stress of the journey :?

I don't want to start syringe feeding him if it is stress related so if he hasn't eaten by morning we will get him to the vets as soon as it opens

If it helps, one of my vets quoted £350 for his op and said he would be under GA for at least 30 mins.

Another vet I use promised it wouldn't go over £100, but the reason why I chose them was that they said he would only be under for 15 mins.

It sounds like he needs very similar treatment to Stevie. I was trying to find some piccies of him earlier when computer messed up on me so I will have another look later.

x

If it helps, one of my vets quoted £350 for his op and said he would be under GA for at least 30 mins.
Another vet I use promised it wouldn't go over £100, but the reason why I chose them was that they said he would only be under for 15 mins.

It sounds like he needs very similar treatment to Stevie. I was trying to find some piccies of him earlier when computer messed up on me so I will have another look later.

x

:(:(:(

Unfortunately I will just have to accept whatever my vets quote me. I was guessing around £200. I know it is £120 for eye removal :?

A rabbit I worked with had his eye removed after an accident prior to being admitted to the sanctuary.

When he had his eye removed the vet just stitched together the eye lids. 3 Days later he had a stinking infection in the socket and had to be rushed to our vets to have it re-opened and cleaned.

Once the socket was re-opened our vet cut away as much of the tear duct as possible and then packed the eye socket with a swab and just put two stitches in, one at either end of the eye, leaving a hole to replace the swab through.

Jasper had the swab changed every couple of days and each time less and less swab was used so that the socket healed over from the inside out. He was also on depocillin injections every other day for 5 weeks to get rid of the infection. The socket healed up beautifully and it just looks like he has his eye closed, there is no lumpyness or scarring around the eye at all.

No his eye only weeps a very tiny amount once in a while. He has never had a problem with infection in it, and you can only see a tiny tiny hole if you really look for it.

It is definately the neatest eye removal I have ever seen, and would definately want any other eye removals done the same way.

Hope you get little Frank's eye sorted soon, he looks adorable. :love:

Cerys :)

Bluebell had her eye removed a few months back. Unfortunately an infection set in and and the stitches burst open. The vet cleaned the puss out of the wound and left it open. The picture very much looks like Bluebell after the stitches burst.

I cleaned the open wound and it healed nicely without the need for further stitches.

Sending oodles of noserubs to the handsome fella :love:

Although some eyes will heal up, Stevie's wouldn't. I adopted him in May and by late August I really had no other option than to operate as it wasn't getting any better. :(

Hope your vet can give you an idea of what the plan is.

Thank you so much for al the info, it has really helped.

My new theory is that he had his eye removed by his previous owners, it went wrong so they handed him into a rescue and they failed to treat it :? Obviously this is only a guess but it seems the most likely explaination to me.

On the plus side he has eaten a little bit of green, but nothing else. I have just taken him out a heatpad that was kindly donated to us :)

Thank you :wave:

Frank has eaten all his food over night :) We have decided to stick with tomorrows vets appointment as I don't want to stress him again today

Frank has seen the vet. He needs to be on antibiotics for at least a week before having an op to stitch his eye.

The vet said it had definately been surgically removed but couldn't tell if it had been deliberately left open or had broken down :?

Back