• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Infection - Update 25.08.10 PM, post 31

I think I'd want to talk about GAing her to enable the Vet to have a proper look. I cant imagine it is possible to be certain there is no FB stuck up there.
If a thorough examination under GA reveals no FB or obvious soft tissue injury and the Vet still suspects a retrobulbar abscess/tooth root issues then skull radiographs could be done whilst Lily is under theGA.

The 'bulging' may be soft tissue swelling. *If* there is a FB still in situ then it'll keep damaging the soft tissue/eye until it is removed.

As for abx, if she were mine I'd want to stick with the Baytril for now. If an abscess were to be confirmed then I'd want to talk with Vet about starting Depocillin and Metronidazole.

In my unqualified opinion I'd want to establish what is going on ASAP so as the most appropriate treatment can be given.

Yep I def will be coming out of the vets tomorrow with more info on what it is/a definate plan of action to find out what it is and treatment required.

Lily seems fine tonight, is eating etc (despite her having lost weight in 2 days) and seems happy enough considering...

I'll def ask them to look fully under the eyelid when getting the Xray done tomorrow. I am certain they'll want to GA her anyway in order to get a decent Xray!

I'll keep you posted but feel happier now I've spoken to you and can stop researching and get some tea now!!!

Thanks x

Just to say good luck for Lily today.
The other place that a FB can get trapped, especially a bit of hay, is behind the third eyelid. So that's another *possibility* you could mention to the Vet.

Lily has had another Baytril jab today, with oral to give her tomorrow. She's also been given Metacam (I'd prev been using our cat's supply, so we've got Lily her own supply now!) and to continuewith eye drops.

She's going in Mon morning for a GA, where she's having an Xray to see if we can confirm an abcess and also to check on the teeth roots. They will be checking thoroughly for a FB while she's under too.

It's day 2 of having a fully open eye, but it's still bulging. This is leading the vet to believe it's not a FB, and my gut feeling also is that it's an abcess.

I'm fully expecting Lily to lose her eye, but trying to keep positive and hoping that's not the case.

Just read this message now, and poor Lily, i hope she is ok and when she has her x rays u will know exactly what it is.

Hope she gets better soon.

Post-Op Update

Hi,

Lily went in on Monday for her GA and they investigated the eye fully with X-rays etc. They could find no foreign body, but did confirm there was no abscess or tumour behind the eyeball, and the bone had not been affected :) There was, however, no pupil response so I was told it was likely she's lost the sight in her eye, or at least it was greatly reduced.

They removed her spurs while she was under, and called me to give me the option of eye removal or daily penicillin injections for 5-7 days, then check her again.

I opted for the injections, under the advise of the vet, and she had this on Monday and stayed overnight and has had another today.

I had an update from the vets at 10pm last night, and Lily was recovering well.

The vets have called again this morning, to say that the eye swelling has actually gone down and they are really pleased with how quickly the injections seem to be working. Her pupil is now reacting to light and so the vet is really pleased about this (as am I!!)

She has a lot of 'cottage cheese'-like gunk coming out of her eye - more than before the op - but I presume this is down to the swelling going down.

They are flushing out her tear duct today while she's still there, just to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

I'm picking her up tonight, then back every evening after work for her penicillin injections.

Back on Tues to see the vet who operated, to have a check up and discuss other options if needed.

All in all, rather pleased with things!! *touch wood*
:D:wave:

Hi,

Lily went in on Monday for her GA and they investigated the eye fully with X-rays etc. They could find no foreign body, but did confirm there was no abscess or tumour behind the eyeball, and the bone had not been affected :) There was, however, no pupil response so I was told it was likely she's lost the sight in her eye, or at least it was greatly reduced.

They removed her spurs while she was under, and called me to give me the option of eye removal or daily penicillin injections for 5-7 days, then check her again.

I opted for the injections, under the advise of the vet, and she had this on Monday and stayed overnight and has had another today.

I had an update from the vets at 10pm last night, and Lily was recovering well.

The vets have called again this morning, to say that the eye swelling has actually gone down and they are really pleased with how quickly the injections seem to be working. Her pupil is now reacting to light and so the vet is really pleased about this (as am I!!)

She has a lot of 'cottage cheese'-like gunk coming out of her eye - more than before the op - but I presume this is down to the swelling going down.

They are flushing out her tear duct today while she's still there, just to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

I'm picking her up tonight, then back every evening after work for her penicillin injections.

Back on Tues to see the vet who operated, to have a check up and discuss other options if needed.

All in all, rather pleased with things!! *touch wood*
:D:wave:

That's good news :)

Could you do the injections yourself as it would mean less stress for Lily if she did not have to be transported to the Vets every day

I'd also ask the Vet or some Fibreplex to administer to Lily whilst she is on the Depocillin xx

That is a good update :) Hope she continues to improve.

As Jane said, could you not do the injections yourself? I give my Inca hers when she is on it. She just doesnt respond to Baytril for anything, so she needs penicillan injections from time to time.

would they vet not think I'm odd asking to do the injections myself? :oops:
I'd love to learn how to do it, but always assumed you had to be a qualified vet nurse or above to do this?

Do lots of people do their own buns' med jabs?

Re: Fibreplex, I will definately ask - thanks Jane. Does the depocillin have non-poo side effects?

Thanks too Kermit! :D

would they vet not think I'm odd asking to do the injections myself? :oops:
I'd love to learn how to do it, but always assumed you had to be a qualified vet nurse or above to do this?

Do lots of people do their own buns' med jabs?

Re: Fibreplex, I will definately ask - thanks Jane. Does the depocillin have non-poo side effects?

Thanks too Kermit! :D

Depocillin does carry a risk of gut dysbiosis so you will need to be very vigilant re her eating and pooing. Any sign of a reduced appetite, small poo or runny poo and you need to get her to the Vet ASAP. HOWEVER, I have had countless Buns on Depocillin and only 2 had a bad reaction to it.

I would avoid feeding her carrots/fruit/sweet treats whilst she is on Depocillin. All have a high sugar content which can exacerbate gut problems.

As long as your Vet teaches you how to give a subcutaneous injection you should be fine to do it. If I had to have C do all my injections I'd have to move me and the Buns in with her as I have some needing injections 2-3 times a day !!

Well, I've been back at the vets tonight with Lily to have her penicillin injection.

Bob, the vet, says he's really not sure about Lily's future. He says the eye infection will be difficult to fight off and if we do get rid of it, the chances of it not coming back (in maybe as soon as a few days), is "remote".

I really don't know what to do.

I'm back on Friday for another injection and this will be with the vet who operated on Monday.

They are happy to refer me to Harcourt Brown, but if they can offer some treatment but with the chance that there will always be some infection, I'm not sure how I feel. Is it right to prolong the inevitable, or do I make sure I give her the best life that she has left?

I'm also worried for Blake as he's SO attached to Lily, much more so than he was with Angel and he's so protective.

I don't know how he'd take it if he lost her.

Bob has told me I need to be realistic about Lily's future and has warned me that I may be throwing good money after bad with the injections. (Which he knows after my bill from Angel, is NOT an issue!)

I'm worried that I'm stressing Lily out with all these vet trips, and Blake too as I take them as a pair.

She takes the eye drops ok though, but we CANNOT get the fibreplex into her! As soon as we get the thing near her mouth, she freaks and makes funny noises.

Argh - just want someone to tell me what to do for best, or better still - wave a bloomin' magic wand! :cry:

Can you try putting the fibreplex on a basil leaf then make a wee sandwich.

My Inca doesnt like the syringe that it is in, but she loves the taste of it!

Hi Kermit. We've tried it on a bit of rolled up cabbage and also a little mashed banana. She HATES the taste!! We've resorted last night to putting on her paws and dewlap to clean off. (And we both got a covering too!!)

Hi Kermit. We've tried it on a bit of rolled up cabbage and also a little mashed banana. She HATES the taste!! We've resorted last night to putting on her paws and dewlap to clean off. (And we both got a covering too!!)

It is a nightmare when you cant get them to take the meds.
Vibes that she starts to take them and gets better x

Back