• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Vets Fees

Thats a lot for an emergency call out :shock: I have called the emergency vet before when we found a sick kitten on the doorstep and the bill came to about £50, also it was about 1 in the morning

i had to call the vet late at night on wednesday as i had a very poorly rat, i asked if she could come out to put him to sleep. she said she could but it would cost me £90 + £40 for a home call before she had done anything :shock:
thank goodness i already had painkiller etc here and with her advice we were able to keep him comfortable till morning. then it cost me £7.50 :?

touch wood I hvent had to call my vet out of hours, but I know that they are one of the few vets round here who use their own staff to maintain a 24 hr service 7 days per week. In those circumstances I would rather pay a bit more to see one of my own vets

My emergency vet charges £50 emergency call out fee before 11pm and then consult fee on top plus any drugs! After 11pm it's more - but touch wood so far haven't needed that!!

When Princess had bloat last September we had to go to the emergency vet and it cost about £130 in total! She is insured though and Petplan were really good - I only had to pay my excess which is £60 and they paid the rest for me. Covered everything, no arguments and sorted it very quickly!

Nicola

I just had to take Dusty to an emergency vets service, and it was £100 before any treatment. And this wasn't having to call out the vet - they are there all night anyway!

When Lenny was ill out of hours I rang the usual vet and got diverted to the PDSA and they wanted £98 call out fee and it was only 19:30!!! :shock: - tried the vets down the road and the vet was still in and saw me for usual consultation price. Picked Lenny up the next day with a £55 bill. I think the PDSA do overcharge, but when I mentioned it to the vet she said she wouldn't come out for less than what the PDSA charge :? The rest of the world is moving to 24hour cover so maybe vets could start working shifts?

Yep, sounds about right for the Nottingham emergency vets!

About a year ago I had a bill from them for about £250 for putting a few stitches in an ear after a fight.

Plus they sent my rabbit home whilst still under the effects of the anaesthetic AND they'd damaged her windpipe. She made a strange whistling noise for days afterwards :shock:

I've heard some awful things about them.

Amy

I have no idea what my vets charge for emergency fees, I'm usually in too much of a state to listen, just hand over the credit/debit card :oops:

I couldn't afford emergency vets bills, as much as i want to give my rabbits the best, i also have to think about feeding myself and paying rent! Its ridiculous how much vets are able to charge, i used to be a veterinary nurse and we are paid stupidly little while the vets are usually very wealthy.
I thought the PDSA was a charity organisation that didn't charge sor tfo like an animal NHS?

Back