• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The Cost of Veterinary Treatment

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
As it has become a very hot topic and yes, I am one of those who has now started to question what is going on I found this Facebook Post gave me food for thought. So I am sharing it here. I am sure Admin/Mods will delete it if it’s not allowed, but it is already in the public domain here

https://www.facebook.com/magnoliahousevets

THE COST OF VETERINARY MEDICINE: BEHIND THE SCENES

This is a really long one, but please bear with me as it is important. And it’s required reading for the Zoom session later this month - see end of post!
We are all painfully aware of rising costs of everything at the moment. Some of us are already struggling with bills, and unfortunately many more may do so over the next few months and - dare I say - years, as the short term economic picture is not pretty.
As a profession, veterinarians are placed at the junction where decisions about the care of a living creature are often made based on money - how much the care costs, can we afford it, and how on earth can we make a decision to end a life if we can’t? Emotions run high, always - worry for the pet, empathy with their problems, stress about affording treatment (and inevitably the car breaks down at the same time, or the electric bill is due, or the kids have a school trip…), helplessness at the thought of our pets being in pain or distress, despair at the mere thought of losing them - the list is long, but through the very core of it all runs a deep vein of pure love. Love for the myriad creatures who share our lives, our homes, who fill our hearts with joy, who pick us up when we’re down and love us back unconditionally. So what price do we put on love? How can we even do so?
That is the thorny problem that veterinarians and pet owners across the globe struggle with on a daily basis, and we despair over it just as much as our clients do. As vets, knowing that we have the knowledge and the skills to help, and not always being able to because it would cost too much to do so, can be soul-destroying. As pet owners, knowing that our pets could be helped, but we just don’t have the money available to make that happen, is equally so.
Where do we go from here? Is there a solution? Our starting point is to have an understanding of the pricing structure of veterinary practices, and where the money you pay for your pets’ care actually goes.
Firstly, 20% of every veterinary bill in the UK is VAT. We are basically a glorified tax collector in that respect, and 20% of what you pay us goes directly to the government.
As for the remainder, any income a veterinary practice earns is apportioned as follows (these are approximates, and will vary between practices, more on this below):
- 40-50% on staff wages (includes vets, veterinary nurses, animal care assistants, receptionists, cleaners, practice managers, etc)
- 15-20% on overheads/fixed costs (mortgage/rent, electric/gas - and our bills have literally quadrupled in January when our contract switched over, water, phone/internet, all the many insurance policies we have to carry, accountant fees, health and safety company fees, employment law company fees, IT support fees, clinical waste disposal, regular waste disposal, card processing fees, website hosting, etc)
- 25-40% on COGS (Cost Of Goods and Services) - these are all the medications we buy in from our suppliers, all the consumables (syringes, needles, catheters, dressings, suture material, sterile surgical gowns, gloves, cleaning materials…), all the fees the outside labs charge us, the fees pet crematoria charge us; basically everything that we need to buy to help us take care of your pets
- 5-10% profit (and this profit is taxed again by the government at 25%)
If you add up the above percentages, you will notice that it is very possible for profit to be zero, or even in the negative numbers, and for some practices or in some months, it is, and some of those practices have had to close their doors as a consequence.
Profit is needed for any business to survive. Out of the profit line come equipment repairs, equipment replacement, equipment upgrade, new equipment if we want to provide an additional service (e.g. laser treatment, or endoscopy), staff raises, continuing education courses (all vets and nurses have to meet an annual quota of continuing education hours), any building repairs needed, and so on. A profit line allows us to deal with the unexpected, to be flexible, to replace that autoclave when it wears out and not go into overdraft. To have the reserves to cope with the reduced workload that came with COVID.
Let’s put this into real world terms. Your dog has had vomiting and diarrhoea for 2 days, you’ve taken her to the vets, they’ve discussed her history and symptoms with you, performed a physical examination, concluded it’s most likely a gastroenteritis, administered an injection for vomiting and sent you home with a couple of oral medications as a course of treatment, with the caveat to contact the practice should she not respond as expected. You’ve paid £120. Of that £120:
£20 goes to the government for VAT (it's actually £24 but let's keep the numbers round for ease)
£45 pays for the staff wages
£15 pays for overheads
£30 pays for COGS
£10 is practice profit (and remember: this is not true take home profit - as explained above, out of this come equipment and building repairs, staff raises, new services etc; and £2.50 of it goes to taxes)
As a real life example, we own a small practice - 2 vets, 5 nurses, a team of 14 people altogether. The break-even (without any profit) costs of running our practice are currently £60000 per month, inc-VAT, as a minimum, just to pay our bills. That is the real cost of running even a small veterinary practice. And it only scales upwards for larger practices.
What can we do about this? We can manipulate some of the numbers a little bit. Overheads/fixed costs we don’t have much control over. When it comes to COGS, we can shop around and make sure we get the most favourable prices - so if you notice that the brand of arthritis medication your pet takes is different every couple of months, that’s why. We can join a buying group, which is a way of taking advantage of bulk purchasing deals. We can make sure we are as efficient as possible, and waste as little as possible. We are all doing everything we can in this bracket.

Cont in 2nd post

Some of the things we can do to decrease our costs would also decrease the level of patient and client care we provide, so many of us don’t really want to do that - for example, we can decrease staffing levels (which may result in not having enough nurses available to monitor pets recovering from anaesthesia, or to maintain cleanliness, or to look after hospitalised patients), we can operate in less sterile environments, invest less in team education and supplies. Most pets will survive, but some won’t, and some will not do so well and have poorer outcomes. We can give you less of our time - shorter consults, not being available for questions over the phone, no lengthy e-mail explanations. The decision may become: do we compromise our pet and client service and take these measures, or do we increase prices again?
One question that often comes up is: why can we buy medication online for less than the vets charge? Most practices have historically used medication mark ups (meaning, charging clients more for medication than we purchase it for) in order to keep service fees (consults, surgery, hospitalisation) lower. The online retailers have thrown a massive wrench into the works here - because they purchase (and sell) drugs in such large quantities, they get big discounts from the manufacturers, so that in many cases they can sell the drugs to you for less money than vets are buying them for. And it is illegal for vets buy them online, we are strictly regulated and have to buy them from one of only 3 available national wholesalers. Whether we reduce our drug mark ups to encourage clients to continue buying medication from us, or whether we provide written prescriptions for our clients to buy medication online, the end result is the same - if vet practice drug revenue goes down, our service fees must come up to compensate. The only winners are the drugs manufacturers and the online retailers. So that is a factor as well.
The most useful thing that we can all do is talk to each other, and listen to each other’s side of the story. For our clients - I hope that you know and trust us well enough to know that you can always talk to us about your concerns, financial or otherwise. For those who are not our clients - I would encourage you to talk to your vets, get to know them over time, develop a relationship you can trust. This is, at its core, a relationship profession. The vets have your pets’ best interests at heart - helping your pets is the very reason they entered the profession in the first place. Talk about preventative care, nutrition, exercise, avoiding emergencies, various ways of keeping your pet well. When a problem arises, in most cases, there will be more than one way to deal with it. Your vet is always going to offer you the treatment option that should result in the best and safest outcome for your pet - and this is not always the most expensive option! However, if costs are an issue and option A is not affordable, there are usually options B, C, and even D. We may have to compromise a little on the outcome or cope with some side effects, but there is usually a way to provide treatment to fit most budgets. And yes, there are unfortunately some situations where there are no alternative options and then tough decisions may need to be made. But for most pets, there will be options.
We are all here, vets and pet owners alike, because we love animals and want to care for them. None of us would involve money in this equation if we could help it, but that is the reality of the world we live in. We need to communicate together with understanding, mutual respect and recognition that we all want the same thing - a happy, healthy pet to share our lives. And when our lottery win pans out, you can all come to our animal sanctuary for free treatment! Retirement goals ��
We’re planning on a Zoom meeting (or FB live, depending on what I manage to make work as technology and I are not the best of friends) towards the end of the month to discuss how we can best look after our pets on a tightening budget - I’d love for this to be a collaborative discussion so please bring all your questions and ideas! And look out for a separate post (pinned to top of page) about dates and times!
Dalya and Stan Livy

I think it's a good reminder for us all to recognise how difficult it is for many small businesses now, including veterinary practices. There is not just one reason for this. There are several, most of which are beyond the control of small businesses.

We should also remember that having an animal is a choice. But by accepting that choice comes the responsibility of caring properly for that animal, which will include now paying higher costs for vet treatment.

It will also have a knock-on effect for rescues and so it's even more important for people to obtain animals from reputable rescues, where they can. Rescues will also have increased costs and the situation could get even more serious for many of them and their animals.

I think it's a good reminder for us all to recognise how difficult it is for many small businesses now, including veterinary practices. There is not just one reason for this. There are several, most of which are beyond the control of small businesses.

We should also remember that having an animal is a choice. But by accepting that choice comes the responsibility of caring properly for that animal, which will include now paying higher costs for vet treatment.

It will also have a knock-on effect for rescues and so it's even more important for people to obtain animals from reputable rescues, where they can. Rescues will also have increased costs and the situation could get even more serious for many of them and their animals.

Yes, I am taking on board the post as it’s from a small independent practice, not a branch of a large corporate organisation. I still stand by the fact that once an independent practice is bought out by a large corporate the pricing system changes significantly. Corporates work on a desire for a much larger profit margin. From what insight I have many individual Vets working for a branch of a large corporate practice are very uncomfortable about the pricing system, the lack of flexibility and the sadly inevitable negative impact on their clients ability to afford Vet fees.

As an example when my Vet Practice was independent the cost of an at home PTS, individual cremation and return of ashes in a casket was C£260. This was about 2 years ago. Now the practice is corporate owned, last month the same service cost £525 :shock:
There is no way that mark up can be justified, IMO. In fact it could actually have costed more had the practice not negotiated with the owners to obtain a PTS service that would not be unaffordable for most people. Most people would have to just have the at the surgery PTS and communal cremation.

That's a really interesting read! I knew it already from chats I've had with William mostly about the ct machine, but yea interesting about the online drugs thing!

Yea I agree, it's so true, it is a choice and a privilege really that not everyone can afford, and if you decide to take on an animal it's really important you make sure you can provide for them!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Yes, I am taking on board the post as it’s from a small independent practice, not a branch of a large corporate organisation. I still stand by the fact that once an independent practice is bought out by a large corporate the pricing system changes significantly. Corporates work on a desire for a much larger profit margin. From what insight I have many individual Vets working for a branch of a large corporate practice are very uncomfortable about the pricing system, the lack of flexibility and the sadly inevitable negative impact on their clients ability to afford Vet fees.

As an example when my Vet Practice was independent the cost of an at home PTS, individual cremation and return of ashes in a casket was C£260. This was about 2 years ago. Now the practice is corporate owned, last month the same service cost £525 :shock:
There is no way that mark up can be justified, IMO. In fact it could actually have costed more had the practice not negotiated with the owners to obtain a PTS service that would not be unaffordable for most people. Most people would have to just have the at the surgery PTS and communal cremation.

It's also the case that small independent businesses of any type will be able to withstand the increased costs more than the large corporates.

Not about vets but, I was reading this morning that a quarter of hairdressers are considering closing down, mainly due to increased costs and fewer customers with the smaller independents worse affected. In my view all small businesses are having a real hard time of it atm. We will not all be directly involved in small businesses, but the impacts both short and log term of the current financial situation will impact on us all in various ways.

I get it Jane - but we were charged almost £10 for a small bag of critical care on Thursday at the OOH vets. I'm sorry but I fail to accept any company that justifies through any costing defence, charging £10 for one small bag of critical care. I work in retail, I know exactly how margins etc are calculated and work. There is a very high margin of rip off going on here. And to be fair, it's not only vets. Garages are another bone of contention. Put a car in for an insurance job and several zeros are added to the cost.
I'm not doubting the skill or the length of time that it has taken a vet to qualify, but the current level of charging in my opinion is very much exceeding reasonability. Even solicitors don't charge the amounts we are seeing vets (OOH in particular) charge. We were also charged 25 quid for 'admin' for us to fill out the insurance claim form. Yes, that's us, filling out the form and we were charged 25 quid because of 'admin'. It grinds my gears big time.

I get it Jane - but we were charged almost £10 for a small bag of critical care on Thursday at the OOH vets. I'm sorry but I fail to accept any company that justifies through any costing defence, charging £10 for one small bag of critical care. I work in retail, I know exactly how margins etc are calculated and work. There is a very high margin of rip off going on here. And to be fair, it's not only vets. Garages are another bone of contention. Put a car in for an insurance job and several zeros are added to the cost.
I'm not doubting the skill or the length of time that it has taken a vet to qualify, but the current level of charging in my opinion is very much exceeding reasonability. Even solicitors don't charge the amounts we are seeing vets (OOH in particular) charge. We were also charged 25 quid for 'admin' for us to fill out the insurance claim form. Yes, that's us, filling out the form and we were charged 25 quid because of 'admin'. It grinds my gears big time.

But is it the VETS setting the prices or the Business Managers/ Practice Owners ?Often the individual Vet has zero control over what they charge as the Company set the prices and if an individual Vet under-charges, for whatever reason, there can be hell to pay from those in charge of the finances. Unless the Vet is also the Practice Owner and/or Manager they have no control over pricing at all.

Thanks for that, Jane. We do tend to forget what is involved just to be able to open the doors of a small business. Many are now struggling with just heating the place. A local cafe said it used to cost £20 a day for background heating. It's now £100 a day, and they can't afford it so may have to close. Vet surgeries have to maintain a higher air temperature where the animals are admitted, after surgery, etc, for the wellbeing of the animals, so I assume their heating bills are astronomical now, and not something they can cut down on. Domestic heating bills have risen so noticeably, but we forget that business energy rates are so much higher.

But is it the VETS setting the prices or the Business Managers/ Practice Owners ?Often the individual Vet has zero control over what they charge as the Company set the prices and if an individual Vet under-charges, for whatever reason, there can be hell to pay from those in charge of the finances. Unless the Vet is also the Practice Owner and/or Manager they have no control over pricing at all.

Practice owners. Without any doubt. Our vets as per the one that you exampled at the start, was independant then taken over by a larger conglomeration. Sadly this practice is a common business ploy which consumes any competition and makes one mega company. Travel companies do it - airlines have done it. These companies then should get better bargoning power with services - but there's little evidence of that.
I guess we could spend many hours wrangling on how to find the best way to resolve this. What is obvious tho is that many of us feel very much the same about how this all operates and we all feel it is at a very challenging financial level.

I've found (so this is only my experience) that vets and GPs are similar in this admin charge: the smallest charge less, because they need the extra income and/or survive on relationships, whereas the slightly bigger can take it or leave it. In fact, my vets don't charge for insurance paperwork at all yet (I don't have insurance but I do read the notices :)) And they're not the cheapest but they are a city centre practice, two vets who work opposite days, and usually two nurses in each day (team of five perhaps?) who also do reception, one practice manager who runs the admin, and all in a converted Edwardian terrace (the two end ones). Last consult-only was about £35. Eye flush and sedation last week was £150. I've stopped gettting anything on prescription (human or animal) that I can get withot one (non-POM/VPM). There's loads of independent vets (some multi-practice) within easy reach around here, as well as the big chains, but this one's closest and easiest to get to on public transport if I have to use it.

Practice owners. Without any doubt. Our vets as per the one that you exampled at the start, was independant then taken over by a larger conglomeration. Sadly this practice is a common business ploy which consumes any competition and makes one mega company. Travel companies do it - airlines have done it. These companies then should get better bargoning power with services - but there's little evidence of that.
I guess we could spend many hours wrangling on how to find the best way to resolve this. What is obvious tho is that many of us feel very much the same about how this all operates and we all feel it is at a very challenging financial level.

I am not questioning for one minute how challenging it is to meet Vet fees now. What I am trying to say is that in *some* cases the individual Vet has no power to change the fees set by the company they are employed by. But the client *might* not see it like that and blame the individual Vet for charging an unreasonable fee.

The change that occurs when an Independent Practice is bought out by a corporate is mind blowing as far as pricing is concerned.

I have heard that with some Surgeries it’s standard practice for the client to be asked if the Pet they are registering is insured before they even register. I assume to ascertain what options to give a client should any serious (costly) problem occur. Without a doubt some people are going to have to opt to euthanise a much loved Pet due to financial constraints :cry:

I've noticed a huge difference to the costs here, compared to the small private practice in Scotland I was using. Thank goodness George is insured after the £2,500 cost last November for emergency weekend out of hours treatment, can't fault them though, but that was eye watering :?

That was a really interesting read, thanks for posting! I often gripe that my vet is really expensive, and moreso than what others seem to charge, but I've had bad experiences with chain vets and I can't speak highly enough of the care any of my animals have had with my current vet, even though they're not rabbit specialists. I keep mine insured as I've been stung by some crazy bills and my vets have also helped me claim for something that should probably have been excluded in the past. They also recommend buying online if its cheaper than using them which I always appreciate!

I wont be getting any more pets once my current ones go. Sadly pets are a luxury these days.

I wont be getting any more pets once my current ones go. Sadly pets are a luxury these days.
Too true! I'm not sure I want small furries in the future tbh. Well I do want, but the cost and also the lack of exotic vets scares me. I'm so grateful I have my vet, but if he stops again it'll be scary tbh. If I could guarantee exotic care I'd potentially always have two buns in the future, like I do love rabbits and Evelyn really loves the buns, so it would be sad not to have some, but good vet care for them really scares me tbh.

I'd love to have another hamster in a few years maybe but same thing, I worry about vet cover. I do worry for my dog too, because my exotic vet sees him too, but I know a few other vets which would also be fine for him. I still think a good vet is worth everything tho tbh.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

One of the things I would most like in this world is more pets again.
The joy they bring is like no other.
To have bunnies again , and even a dog again would be indescribable.
Eloise still talks about all the pets who've died.
Even Freija who died when she was 4.

Sorry didn't mean to derail, just with all the money talk

You haven’t derailed the thread, your post is very relevant and I expect your feelings mirror those of many people these days. Which is sad as for a lot of people being able to have a Pet can transform their lives. I know for a fact I wouldn’t be here if I could not have my Pets.

Back