• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah... stasis.... admitted ....U/D 12 Dec another episode

Thanks for the good wishes and vibes.

I'm pleased to report that I got a bulletin at 12noon (I was out at the bank amongst the Christmas shoppers - exhausting!) I've just got in. Elijah is a bit brighter, has nibbled some greens and most importantly has popped out 5 poops :D They want to keep him in, keep medicating, syringe feeding etc. Very, very relieved to hear it's a 'normal' recovery.

:) that sounds promising. Hope he has continued to pick up. And I hope you can figure out what it is that's setting him off.

I've not had any news of him for the last 24 hours because I think I misinterpreted the vet I spoke to yesterday and indicated I didn't want any news unless he deteriorated/was due to come home. I had interpreted her question to mean the rest of that day:oops: I think also I was expecting a call to say he was ready for home this morning so didn't feel that would be a problem... of course I've been fretting all morning so rang to get a message. :oops:

He's brighter, being syringe fed... he's eaten wheatabix and apple (??) and is eating hay like a good 'un, passed more droppings in last 24 hours. He's due his meds at 1pm, painkiller and so on.

I want the little guy better and home *sigh*. It's interesting to note that Erin's eye looks weepy again now he's away, he obviously is cleaning it for her. :love:

Glad he's still improving. A bit odd to feed him weetabix and apple at this stage, but maybe they think anything is better than nothing. When my Bailey was ill he was getting fed all sorts :?. Wasn't too happy when I found out.

Sending loads of vibes for your little one. I hope someone can find out what is causing it.

Glad he's still improving. A bit odd to feed him weetabix and apple at this stage, but maybe they think anything is better than nothing. When my Bailey was ill he was getting fed all sorts :?. Wasn't too happy when I found out.

Sending loads of vibes for your little one. I hope someone can find out what is causing it.

I know sometimes the feedback is more worrying than it is helpful! I was a bit horrified when I previously visited Esme at this vets to see about 1/4 of a pineapple in her cage with her.:shock: A tiny bit wouldn't be so bad but not such a huge amount.

Jane, could I have your input please - diet advice

I wonder if you would be kind enough to give be a breakdown of what you feed bunnies with normal digestive function in the average day, so I can see that as a guide.

What they are getting at the moment is:

c 9.00 am Pellets (only about 50% of them get pellets in the morning) plus half a large spring green leaf or 1 medium leaf.

Theo gets parsley as he won't eat cabbage.

c 7 - 8.00 pm they get pellets plus either kale (1st choice if it looked fresh in the shop, or spring greens if no kale).
Theo will eat kale so if we have kale he gets that if not parsley/carrot tops/coriander.

They occasionally get parsley/carrot tops/coriander or broccoli depending on what was available when I went shopping.

This morning I bought 3 bunches of curly parsley, 1 bunch of flat parsley and carrot tops. I have some coriander from earlier in the week but the smell of it makes me want to heave :oops::lol:

Obviously unlimited hay, topped up daily. - I buy bales of which is wonderful quality, usually very Timothy-like. I haven't bought any expensive hay for about a year as they all really like the £4 a bale stuff.

Oh, and I get dried plantain, dandelions etc from 'the petshop that we can't mention' (tend to give these as treats but maybe give them as a meal instead of greens ??

And recently bought a huge bag of readigrass that has filled 2 wheelie bins:shock: Everybody seems to enjoy this and had no ill effects from it.

Edit to add: What's Avipro and where to I get it? :oops:

Last edited:
Just had an update from the vets - Elijah is nibbling, is a lot brighter, passing poops and still being given meds, they are tailing off on the Bruprenorphine (?spelling) this afternoon and anticipating his appetite improving over night (this is all we are waiting for as all else is good but he is needing to be syringe fed at the mo). So *touch wood* he will have improved enough to be home tomorrow.

Avipro is a probiotic - I used to get it from the Hay Experts but I'm sure there are other places too.

Glad to hea he's continuing to improve - your nerves must be in shreds, I know mine are!

Avipro is a probiotic - I used to get it from the Hay Experts but I'm sure there are other places too.

Glad to hea he's continuing to improve - your nerves must be in shreds, I know mine are!

Thanks for the info re Avipro.

This is the 22nd time Elijah has been admitted to the vets with stasis so it's the stage before he starts eating that I find most stressful, given his previous blockage surgery. ... so yeah, stressful but a little bit less so once there is improvement.... I'd be a lot more stressed if nursing him at home though, I used to a few years ago, they seem to admit them now, though that might be as it was an OOH call.

22 times! Good grief. Is this why Petplan hate you so much? :lol:

They offered to admit Apache but I thought he'd be less stressed, and have more attention, at home. Not sure it's done me much good though.

I've probably missed this elsewhere on the thread but do you have any ideas about the cause of his stasis episodes?

22 times! Good grief. Is this why Petplan hate you so much? :lol:

They offered to admit Apache but I thought he'd be less stressed, and have more attention, at home. Not sure it's done me much good though.

I've probably missed this elsewhere on the thread but do you have any ideas about the cause of his stasis episodes?

A estimate (based on each stasis episode being c£200 and the blockage surgery and treatment being £900) is that he has cost Pet Plan in the region of £5,000 :shock:

When he had his blockage surgery I was told that the blockage was caused by a faecal pellet that he had eaten and had travelled through his digestive system and got wedged in the small intestine... apparently this is not an uncommon finding with blockage...(my vets have a video recording of his surgery in their archives :shock:). so, before we discovered this I'd taken cardboard tubes off him etc, anything that isn't properly digestible but he still got a blockage ...I've seen him eat poops since but there's just no telling him how dangerous it is. I've not bothered altering his diet as I've not blamed it before but now wondering it at least some of the episodes are gassy-veg related... time will tell.

not much advice (other than i recommend avipro probiotic!) but just wanted to send more vibes x

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm pleased he's making some progress. I know the stress of stasis buns :(

The only thing I personally do different is the fresh greens are only fed once a day. I top up hay throughout the day despite there always being plenty of hay, they always tuck in when I put new in. I use readi grass or Timothy hay which I give as a topper hay - I mix a handful on top of the usual hay to keep them interested or give those yummy hays as treats :)

Hope you get some good news tomorrow, lots of vibes x

Thanks for the info re Avipro.

This is the 22nd time Elijah has been admitted to the vets with stasis so it's the stage before he starts eating that I find most stressful, given his previous blockage surgery. ... so yeah, stressful but a little bit less so once there is improvement.... I'd be a lot more stressed if nursing him at home though, I used to a few years ago, they seem to admit them now, though that might be as it was an OOH call.

22 times, bless you that is tough, I would be a nervous wreck, I hope he continues to improve over night and refrains from any further episodes for the foreseeable future xx

Back