• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eek Pips eye looks funny

Don’t panic, it is almost certainly a bit of infection in the nasolacrimal duct. Probably triggered by the removal of her Incisors. Easily sorted with a course of antibiotic eye drops. The Vet may attempt to flush the duct at your consultation this afternoon.

It’s not Myxo :)

Sorry everyone had to dash straight to work afterward the appointment. Jane you are spot on! He checked her mouth and its healing nicely.

So we just have to continue the baytril and metacam until her check up on Wednesday. He was really pleased with her and gave her the baytril dose so I didnt have to fight with her again [emoji1787]. She gave him such a sassy look afterwards he burst out laughing. Said he'd never seen a bun look like that.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I am so pleased with the update. I did feel deep down it could be an infection as Jane said. We had very similar with Henry (bless him) and it gave me a scare on several occasions. A damp warm cotton ball will ease the discharge and clean pips eye and the abx will quickly sweep out the infection.
You’ll have to be quite vigilant on the discharge so bit more work for you - and glad you got the baytril dose done by the vet.
Topping up the vibes for lady pip. Xx

Sorry everyone had to dash straight to work afterward the appointment. Jane you are spot on! He checked her mouth and its healing nicely.

So we just have to continue the baytril and metacam until her check up on Wednesday. He was really pleased with her and gave her the baytril dose so I didnt have to fight with her again [emoji1787]. She gave him such a sassy look afterwards he burst out laughing. Said he'd never seen a bun look like that.

Glad to hear that all is well :)

I'm also pleased to hear this update, fingers and paws crossed here that the infection is soon zapped by meds. Would have loved to have seen Pips face :D

I'm also pleased to hear this update, fingers and paws crossed here that the infection is soon zapped by meds. Would have loved to have seen Pips face :D
It was hilarious. She was licking her chops, and giving him this rather disgusted look.

I'm glad your mind has been put at rest now and hope Pip's eye will soon be better.
Thanks Tonibun. I think it just looked so odd because the fur was all flattened. I felt awful. Shes still not eating as much as normal, but the vet says she had good gut sounds, so I think its a waiting game until she feels 100%.

I'd be scared if Pip glared at me. Your accounts are a fascinating insight into Nethies

So pleased its nothing to worry about & her mouth is healing well

I'd be scared if Pip glared at me. Your accounts are a fascinating insight into Nethies

So pleased its nothing to worry about & her mouth is healing well
Oh shes not scary, she just gives a look of disgust. Archie on the other hand looks like a seriously grumpy old man.

It was hilarious. She was licking her chops, and giving him this rather disgusted look.

I am glad her vet visit went well. My black nd, Raven, gives me the same look when I give him baytril every morning. It was nice vet gave dose. Sending lots of vibes to lady pip for a full recovery from surgery and eye issue.

I am glad her vet visit went well. My black nd, Raven, gives me the same look when I give him baytril every morning. It was nice vet gave dose. Sending lots of vibes to lady pip for a full recovery from surgery and eye issue.
Hope hope Raven is doing ok too? Yes NDs have a certain way about them. I've just been chasing Pip up and down the stairs about 6 times with a baytril syringe. [emoji1787][emoji1787] there was a lot of imaginary dirt flicking.

Hope hope Raven is doing ok too? Yes NDs have a certain way about them. I've just been chasing Pip up and down the stairs about 6 times with a baytril syringe. [emoji1787][emoji1787] there was a lot of imaginary dirt flicking.

Who is the adult here??
Me thinks her lady ship has you well and truly wrapped round her paws.

Who is the adult here??
Me thinks her lady ship has you well and truly wrapped round her paws.
Of course shes the one in charge! I'm the hooman slave. Just convinced her to eat her metacam banana slice. She promptly sat on there big cushion and peed!

Raven is used to being picked up, though these little bunnies can put up quite a fight when they do not want to cooperate. Yes, a bunny slightly more than 1kg can beat me up.:love: I have to hold him quite firmly, with my fingers around his chest and under his front paws, and then I pull my body close to his head/back so he can not move too much. His rear feet are on the bed or on my leg. Once the syringe is in his mouth I dispense meds quickly. It helps that the baytril I get is an oral suspension that was compounded in a fruit flavored base. It still does not taste well, yet the fruit flavored base must mask some of the Baytril smell. The downside is this baytril also needs refrigeration and does not have a long shelf life. I also learned not to use the same syringe to dispense medicam because even after rinsing it must smell like Baytril. If giving both, I give Medicam first, then quickly give Baytril. Raven is still on both with recent improvement so I just picked up more from the vets today to continue his Baytril for another ten days.
When you mentioned Lady Pip gave vet a sassy look; it reminded me that Raven's adoption agency advertised him as 'Sassy' prior to my adopting him as a 7 month old. He was neutered and continues to be very possessive of his things, especially his litterbox which I clean at least once a day; though he will sit on our laps and play with his towel until he had enough.

Raven is used to being picked up, though these little bunnies can put up quite a fight when they do not want to cooperate. Yes, a bunny slightly more than 1kg can beat me up.:love: I have to hold him quite firmly, with my fingers around his chest and under his front paws, and then I pull my body close to his head/back so he can not move too much. His rear feet are on the bed or on my leg. Once the syringe is in his mouth I dispense meds quickly. It helps that the baytril I get is an oral suspension that was compounded in a fruit flavored base. It still does not taste well, yet the fruit flavored base must mask some of the Baytril smell. The downside is this baytril also needs refrigeration and does not have a long shelf life. I also learned not to use the same syringe to dispense medicam because even after rinsing it must smell like Baytril. If giving both, I give Medicam first, then quickly give Baytril. Raven is still on both with recent improvement so I just picked up more from the vets today to continue his Baytril for another ten days.
When you mentioned Lady Pip gave vet a sassy look; it reminded me that Raven's adoption agency advertised him as 'Sassy' prior to my adopting him as a 7 month old. He was neutered and continues to be very possessive of his things, especially his litterbox which I clean at least once a day; though he will sit on our laps and play with his towel until he had enough.

Yep Pip is 1.2kg and surprisingly difficult to move if she doesn't want to. She hunkers down and its like moving a tonne. [emoji1787] unless the syringe comes near and she's then like a rocket.....Pip is also very possessive. As soon as I start tidying their corner, she appears straight away to check what I'm up to. Even if she's upstairs asleep, no idea how she can tell what I'm up to.

Pip won't sit on our laps, but she will play tunnels and jump on you if she fancies it.

However now I'm the scary syringe lady and as soon as I go near her even without a syringe, she bolts. [emoji17]

Here's Pip manically cleaning her baytril paws from the last dose. Unfortunately the bath mat is also now on a course of baytril. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
31f6909cd3c0b73f69987f29d1b21af5.jpg

Little update. Pip's eating well and her poops are nice and big again.

Unfortunately I've just noticed her other eye is weeping tonight. Its clear and just looks like tears. They are definitely not as weepy as Friday morning, but its weird the other eye has started. Could this just be part of the healing process from the surgery?

I guessing I should contact the vet tomorrow? She's due in on Wed for a checkup anyway.

She's only got one more day of baytril left.

Little update. Pip's eating well and her poops are nice and big again.

Unfortunately I've just noticed her other eye is weeping tonight. Its clear and just looks like tears. They are definitely not as weepy as Friday morning, but its weird the other eye has started. Could this just be part of the healing process from the surgery?

I guessing I should contact the vet tomorrow? She's due in on Wed for a checkup anyway.

She's only got one more day of baytril left.

I would give the Vet a call for his/her advice. They may suggest adding a topical antibiotic such as Isathal :)

I would give the Vet a call for his/her advice. They may suggest adding a topical antibiotic such as Isathal :)
Amazingly that eye cleared up by the morning and seems fine now I've got home. Initial eye is still a little weepy, so i'll see how she is in the morning and then phone the vets depending on what I think.

Tonight is the last baytril, unless the vet thinks I should continue. Pip had me charging up and down the stairs at 8am this morning. She's certainly back to her usual speedy self. I recon I ran up and down 12 times before I got her. [emoji1787]

She has her checkup booked for Wed evening anyway.

Back