• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus again

I used to give Mimzy 50 ml a day during the worst of his head tilt. He seemed to do well and it was all in one go.

Jenna (dog) gets 90 ml 3days a week now. She's forever needing a wee.

I know nothing about fluids but a million well wishes for Atticus. I guess dehydration will account for some of the recent weight loss xx

It’s not a problem if given SQ, he won’t absorb what his system can’t cope with. He’d just look all lumpy where the bolus of fluids are given as it’ll just remain under the skin. This can also happen if the Rabbit is very sick and ‘shut down’ as far as their blood circulation goes.IV over infusion is what’s risky.

It’s not a problem if given SQ, he won’t absorb what his system can’t cope with. He’d just look all lumpy where the bolus of fluids are given as it’ll just remain under the skin. This can also happen if the Rabbit is very sick and ‘shut down’ as far as their blood circulation goes.IV over infusion is what’s risky.
Yea he's got a wobbly belly hanging down rn.

Tell you what, steroid injection was so easy now he isn't dehydrated. Hopefully fluids tomorrow morning will be easy.

Idk if I need to seperate him and Clementine though, she's really bullying him :( he's not had bites for weeks but had another on his back, and his ears look nipped and just Idk, he's so frail and she just knocks him over.. She doesn't groom him and they do lay together tho so I'm super torn, she's definitely a bully tho :/ altho she spent 15 mins grooming me this evening :/

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I used to give Mimzy 50 ml a day during the worst of his head tilt. He seemed to do well and it was all in one go.

Jenna (dog) gets 90 ml 3days a week now. She's forever needing a wee.
Thanks that's helpful to know :)

I think keeping C and A side by side but not together might be best now. So they can still see each other. Maybe see how they go just having time ‘properly’ together when supervised all of the time. So you can intervene straight away if C starts to bully A

Last edited:
I think keeping C and A side by side but not together might be best now. So they can still see each other. Maybe see how they go just having time ‘properly’ together when supervised all of the time. So you can intervene straight away if C starts to bully A

Yea I'm really torn because they do really love each other and I m know he'd be heartbroken If I seperated them, coz he always looks for her. But yea I've got a security camera on them and I'm down here so we'll see.

Also doing 60ml is incredibly tough to do, it all went smoothly but just the strength needed to push the syringe plunger was too much really. Got it all in though and he just ate oats the whole time. Was very easy to get needle in because he's hydrated now. I'm actually wondering if he needs fluids more frequently tbh. The syringe was massive thought I think I've only ever done 15ml max at a time before my hands were struggling to hold everything with such a big syringe tbh! He now had a wobbly water lump on his back [emoji38]
62b422eca824dc3df5d31c9553a0bb3e.jpg

I only ever do 20ml in the same site at one time. Otherwise I would imagine it’d be very uncomfortable.I use 20ml syringes. So to give 60ml I’d do 3 x 20ml injections

I only ever do 20ml in the same site at one time. Otherwise I would imagine it’d be very uncomfortable.I use 20ml syringes. So to give 60ml I’d do 3 x 20ml injections
Yea I've never done this before, but they didn't have any bags of saline like normal so gave me two prefilled syringes. That's why I was shocked last night.

Tbf the fact he sat there and ate the whole time I don't think it was uncomfortable for him. But yea I was worried to do this amount like this. I was literally only given 2x butterfly needles and two 60ml syringes. They gave him 120ml in one go yesterday, in same spot. Which seemed crazy to me.

Jeez, I always had to have one person hold Mimzy for me while I jabbed him, but then he was still rolling quite a bit, so.... :?

Atticus is a good boy to just sit there and munch for you. Wish I could get Jenna to do that! :shock:

Jeez, I always had to have one person hold Mimzy for me while I jabbed him, but then he was still rolling quite a bit, so.... :?

Atticus is a good boy to just sit there and munch for you. Wish I could get Jenna to do that! :shock:
Atticus is an excellent patient tbh it's one of the reasons I've been able to help him so much, he takes his meds with no trouble and sits for his steroid injections and noms food whilst I do it, and sat for the water like it was nothing, tbh he's had this type of care for more than half his life though so I think he's just used to it. He knows there's always good food and nose rubs after and takes it in his stride, I'm thankful he's so good, it's made caring for his gut issues easier. He also is good for his baths [emoji38]

I cannot imagine giving fluids to a dog... Freddie would be an absolute nightmare he can never sit still [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

My brave boy after his fluids earlier. He's such a character [emoji38]
9e481317ac5765ed48ffd248eb55b925.jpg
0a4fd152d5f4808af0749e36b1a4a3f4.jpg
d052e1fb6c214ea9c2e363fd9b1bc1f8.jpg

Back