• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dr Finlay Has Had a CVA -U/D 13th August

Jane, Thinking of you and Dr F.
At least he will be slip[ping away knowing he is with the people who love him
xxxx

Jane, sorry to hear this news. At least he is in the best place he can be, and his last moments will be with you and his fav bun.
I am glad your vet was able to reassure you that he is in no pain.
Take care of yourself,
x jess

Jane thinking of you, Dr F and Esther. What an understanding vet you have, all too often there is unecessary or futile intervention which detracts from the dignity there should be at this stage of life. I speak from experience.
Hope your last moments together are peaceful ones.
:cry: Liz

Dr Finlay is still eating and drinking. He has regained a little use of his back legs and the nystagmus has stopped. I was advised to administer a steroid injection to him during the night to reduce the inflammation in his CNS.
This appears to have worked but the effects are likelyto wear off over 48 hours. If more inflammation occurs then his severe neurological symptoms will return. But as we are taking things hour by hour we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

I know Dr F wont get better and if he was 'suffering' I would have him PTS. But IMO ( and that of my trusted Vet ) PTS is to eliviate suffering, not hasten the natural dying process. We would not do it to a human and I dont think we should do it to an animal either.

Last edited:
Dr Finlay is still eating and drinking. He has regained a little use of his back legs and the nystagmus has stopped. I was advised to administer a steroid injection to him during the night to reduce the inflammation in his CNS.
This appears to have worked but the effects are likelyto wear off over 48 hours. If more inflammation occurs then his severe neurological symptoms will return. But as we are taking things hour by hour we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

I know Dr F wont get better and if he was 'suffering' I would have him PTS. But IMO ( and that of my trusted Vet ) PTS is to eliviate suffering, not hasten the natural dying process. We would not do it to a human and I dont think we should do it to an animal either.

completly agree that pts is only to stop an animal suffering. so if he isnt andyou can tell then that is the best thing by him x

I'm glad Dr Finlay is still with you, I agree that if he isn't suffering PTS isn't an option. He should enjoy the time he has left with you and his Esther.

Sending loads of vibes and gentle nose rubs to him :)

I couldn't sleep last night and kept wondering if he had pulled through. I'm glad he did, and is being cared for by a loving owner. I hope he can make a full recovery, or at least pass away quietly.

I'm so glad Dr Finlay has perked up a bit even if it is due to the steroid injection.At least it has bought you some time with this dear old gentleman.How are you feeling today Jane have the meds started to take effect yet?

:) I couldn't agree more with you Jane. Keep taking each hour as it comes, savouring each moment.
Sending peaceful pain free vibes to Dr F.

I'm glad he is still comfortable and hope he can spend his remaining time being doted on by his wife and you.

Hoping for a miraculous recovery for the lovely gent.

The effects of the steroid injection are still helping and Dr Finlay is able to get himself about now. He still has lots of abnormal neurological symptoms but for tonight he is doing OK for an 11+ year old Bun who has had a stroke

MeandafewBuns136.jpg

MeandafewBuns132.jpg

MeandafewBuns138.jpg

MeandafewBuns129.jpg

:)

Awh Jane, the pictures of him and his good woman are wonderful. He does look like he's feeling okay with life doesn't he.

Sending lots of vibes their way.

Helen x

Oh bless the boy:love::love::love: I know how wonderful the steriod can be and I can only keep on hoping that the effects don't wear off for a very long time:D

Back