• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leo is not himself today...Leo on a day visit U/D 24

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I'm a little worried about Leo today. He's not a frequent vet visitor. In fact, the dental spur procedure he had about 2 and a half months ago, was the first time in the 2 years we've had him, since he needed to see a vet.
But today I am a little worried. He seemeed ok first thing - had some breakfast and both he and Flo were out in the garden for a couple of hours. Since he came in, mid morning, he's been very sullen. He's sort of hidden himself in the sleeping area in the kitchen. I wouldn't usually be concerned, but usually when we are home, Leo and Flo will spend all indoors time in the living room under the table. But he hasn't done that.
And the most concerning is that when I offered him his favorite treatos - cranberries or crunchies, he looks at them as if he wants to eat them, but then stops himself.
I've tried putting some fresh parsley and corriander down for him and he sniffs that and looks like he wants to eat that, but again, he choses not to.
He is drinking ok from the bowl. He's done a couple of quite loose poop outputs, not watery but very soft.
He and Flo spent an hour in the garden from 5:30pm - 6:30pm and he never really ate any grass. He came in for tea and hasn't touched the fresh greens, fresh herbs and even ignored his favorite pro fibre pellets. Still not interested in treatos either. He's just sitting back in the sleeping area. - Oh, hold that thought, he's come out now and sitting near Flo - near the food dish.
We have given him some metacam and metaclopromide about an hour ago - in case he had some discomfort and also to try to kick start an appetite.
Ah- my wife has just advised me (as she sits closer to the kitchen than I do), that Leo is nibbling - so thar's a positive.
I'm concerned it might be dental spurs but it's been less than 3 months since his last dental procedure. However, his symptoms were similar.
I'm wondering if it's possible fur ingestion - but he has never had an issue with fur ingestion previous.
As it's bank holiday, the vets are closed - and I'm holding back doing the emergency out of hours vets. But I will if I have to.
If there's no change by the morning then I'll take him to our vets at the earliest appointment I can get.
Any bun have any thoughts on what might be the issue? I know I'm only describing general observations, but he's definately not his usual self. I dont know if this is just a blip or if it's something more.
I'll update as we go.
Craig xx

Last edited:
I'm sorry Leo isn't feeling well today, Craig. It's worrying that he wouldn't eat and is acting withdrawn, so I'm glad he's nibbling a bit now. Sounds like the metacam and metoclopramide have started working? It's difficult to say what might be behind it, but it's very possible that it's his teeth like you thought of, or else some tummy problems. If he's never had problems with fur ingestion before, I'd think it'd be unlikely to be an issue now, but it's certainly possible. I'm not sure if you'd see soft poops in that case, though... I'd definitely keep an eye on him, but I know you will anyway. Taking him to your vets in the morning if there's no change sounds like a good idea. Lots of vibes for Leo. I hope he'll keep nibbling and will feel better soon.

Sending lots of vibes to Leo!

The softer poops would have me leaning towards a dental issue especially if now nibbling with some pain meds.

Although saying that lots of buns seem to be struggling with fur lately, Rodney and Blossom are both having the odd day of stringy poop in the last few weeks and we've been upping fibre where we can to compensate.

I've often called our vet out of hours and been told what I'm doing is all they would do until office hours for them with the painkillers and gut meds and then they book me to come in first thing but I know most vets don't offer their own out of hours service.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sending lots for vibes for Leo, maybe fur or gas related, hope he's nibbling again soon xx

Our Rudy is in the middle of major moult at the moment, evidenced by some fur matted poos. Of Leo is moulting I would be keen to give him a good brush.
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that Leo is unwell. It's difficult to speculate what is causing it, but the fact that he was refusing food and treats for that many hours I think indicates that there is certainly some sort of issue. Giving Metacam has probably relieved whatever pain it was, which was causing him not to eat and that's why he is now nibbling.

It's decades since I've had a bunny with dental issues and I really can't remember if it can result in softer poo. I doubt whether it would be fur ingestion causing the poo issue though and so my money would probably be on it being a dental issue again, particularly as he's had the same previously. Also the fact he was with Flo in the garden for an hour also suggests to me that the cause is not a tummy problem per se.

I think however he is in the morning, that I would take him to the vet for an examination, particularly of his teeth. Sending the little lad loads of vibes.

Thanks everybun. I had already decided a vet trip in the morning was going to be, to be fair. I’d rather a professional pair of hands gave him the once over in any event. He’s looking at food but not really saying “nommy nom” in his usual way. It’s very subtle but very noticeable change in his behaviour.
I’m puzzled if it’s teeth cause it’s been less than 3 months since he last had them done and before that it had been 2 years. He’s munching on some cabbage but he’s definitely not himself.
Thank you all for the vibes - I’ll update when the vets had a good old check on him.
Craig xx

Have you got bad winds like we have here? Is he feeling spooked at all? Sending lots of vibes for Leo hopefully you will get to the bottom of it xx

Sending vibes from Bertieville.

Bertie was a bit off on Saturday night with what I suspect was a moult related issue. Definitely best to get Leo's teeth checked though. It's such a worry when bunnies are not themselves.

I agree a vet check is appropriate. Raven is a dental bunny and there was a time he needed two close together, unusual as it seemed; though soft poo has not usually been connected to dental for Raven. How are his fluid intake? If he has ear issue eating may be painful or ear may make him dizzy. He wants to eat which is positive. Sending vibes he feels better soon.

Hope a full examination by the Vet will give a definitive answer as to what is wrong and that Leo will soon be feeling better.

Quick update. He’s still not himself. He’s active and been outside (before the torrential downpour) and half heartedly nibbled on a triffid but doesn’t have any desire to eat. Have given metaclopromide and will ring vet at 8am and get him there as soon as they can see him.

Back