• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dental buns Binky free my baby

Gut stimulants cause painful spasms so that might be causing the discomfort. I would keep trying to get her to eat. preferably leafy greens with water on to keep her hydrated too.

she drank from the bowl, boy was she thirsty. is this enough to start her back up again, or should I keep going with getting her to eat.

Jane gave me the tip about the bowl and warm water - I think it's too painful for them to drink from the bottle. Have you got any basil, parsley or dandelions to tempt her? I have found giving tummy rubs helps, try "stretching" her out and gently massage her tummy. Did she have any painkiller at the vets?

What exactly as she had done? Did she just have spurs burred:? I would tempt her with all her fav foods you could always try softening her dry food with warm water and syringing that into her. She will be ok :D

Does she eat pellets? try soaking some in water to soften them.
I have 2-3 dental buns. Twinkle had bad spurs,that kept returning, but now she is on pellets and has found the joys of eating hay the visits to the vets are getting further apart. Martha has only had 1 visit, but when I rescued her she was on a very poor diet, and finally Basil who when I rescued him had a weepy eye and spurs on his molars and a sore mouth. Mine all have conscious dentals, I know some people don't agree, but normally they are eating hay in their pet carriers on the way home.

Yeah spurs burred, she has just eaten one spinach leaf. Might have to pop out with the torch in search of Dandelion leaves.

Hope she is feeling better this am.

I have to refute some of the thoughts on concious dentals on this thread. We always get our rescue buns teeth checked and, if necessary, burred whilst under sedation for their neutering ops but for our long term buns that need regular dentals we get them done concious - not only is it a lot cheaper - £10 a go - but I also find it a lot less stressful for the bun than having to be away from home all day and deal with the after effects of a GA. Our vet is very competent at holding them securely and only puts the clamp in their mouths at the last minute when she has finished examining their teeth and they have never suffered any adverse affects due to jaw clamping or had to have painkillers for their teeth problems either.

She is still not eating. I have syringed some food and left her with greens, softened pellets and a bowl of water.

She has weed but still no poo

If there is no improvement by this afternoon she is going to the vets.

Sending lots of vibes for her, and for you. You must be going mad with the worry. Thinking of you.

Hope she feels better soon.
When Squidgy had his neutering op, he was eating and eating, but no poos were coming through. It weemed like forever, but must only have been about 24 hours, and I was ringing the vet and they told me not to panic.
He did eventually poo and was fine! Keep trying the dandlion leaves and freshly picked grass.
Just to let you know as well that Salt needed his teeth burring before he came to me (he was a honeybunny) but has been absolutely fine since as they eat bucket fulls of hay.

Keep tempting her with lots of wet things to keep her hydrated.

I hope she produces something soon.

x

Just wanted to add that sometimes when they come round from a GA they feel rough and eat their fecals as well as cecals, maybe that is what she is doing, and so she might be pooing, but clearing the evidence? Not helpful for you though.

she was in 'that' position last night, so maybe she was eating them. I tried to disturb her but all I saw was a string of clear mucus, which she went back to and ate

I can feel the poos inside her, which is weird.

I rubbed her tummy before work and left a hot water bottle and blanket with her, she is still in the house, but I had to put Charlie out as he was eating the greens and pooing in the litter tray so I wasn't sure who was doing what!

Vet did mention conscious dentals, done in consultation, but they were so bad this time that they could not be done conscious. I can only put it down to her previous home.

But this is apparently what happened last time she had GA, so I may avoid it as much as poss. in the future

Last edited:
The clear mucous is a sign that her gut is irritated in some way and is trying to correct itself (the mucous being the attempt at correction and protection). If she is producing mucous then she does need the vets.

Try not to feel bad, you're doing all the right things. Stay calm, for her because she will pick up on any bad emotions you feel, and keep her warm, and if you think she wants it, and you can, then give her company.

I know I know, At least I recognise the signed and don't just think this is normal, but it still makes me feel horrid that I am stuck at work unable to get her the to vets. I will be flying down after work. MIL set to pick me up, so at least she will bot be too stressed by the two bus journey

She was at the vets when I got home, on a drip and getting fed every hour on the hour, and will be reassessed in the morning.

Back