• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could Mimzy Please Have Some Vibes-U/D p 39 He did great! :)

I am pleased to hear that Mimzy did well :D

Did the Vet express the sludge from his bladder whilst he was under GA ?

No Jane, I don't think she did. Should she have done? :(
I'm not certain that is even something they do here. Usually it's just a call to up fluid intake, get bunny to move more and...something else I can't remember, I'd have to revisit my old forum and ask the webmaster there what they did for her bun when he had sludge problems. I don't think it involved expressing. :?

Now I feel bad. I should've thought to ask. :( What can I do?

No Jane, I don't think she did. Should she have done? :(
I'm not certain that is even something they do here. Usually it's just a call to up fluid intake, get bunny to move more and...something else I can't remember, I'd have to revisit my old forum and ask the webmaster there what they did for her bun when he had sludge problems. I don't think it involved expressing. :?

Now I feel bad. I should've thought to ask. :( What can I do?

I would avoid feeding any Kale at all and try to get him to drink as much as possible. Also try to get him to move around.

You should start to see a lot of thinned out sludge/grit in the urine he passes. If you notice him straining to urinate and/or if he shows any signs of abdominal discomfort then he will need to see a Vet again. If all the sediment remains in his bladder over time (weeks) it will increase in quantity/density and eventually stones can form. So clearing sediment/sludge at the earliest opportunity can prevent the condition progressing.

Hopefully a good fluid intake, a strict control of calcium intake and encouraging him to move about will help xx

I would avoid feeding any Kale at all and try to get him to drink as much as possible. Also try to get him to move around.

You should start to see a lot of thinned out sludge/grit in the urine he passes. If you notice him straining to urinate and/or if he shows any signs of abdominal discomfort then he will need to see a Vet again. If all the sediment remains in his bladder over time (weeks) it will increase in quantity/density and eventually stones can form. So clearing sediment/sludge at the earliest opportunity can prevent the condition progressing.

Hopefully a good fluid intake, a strict control of calcium intake and encouraging him to move about will help xx

Thank you, Jane. :)
I have eliminated his kale (I'm guessing his carrot tops are a no-no too :( he won't be pleased) and substituted more of his green leaf lettuce, which he'll eat without much fuss. Is bok choy okay? I've thought of introducing that if it won't make him too gassy. Just for some variety.
He was clicking away at his water bottle again today (epic! :) ) and his urine, while still a bit on the brownish side, is not quite as strong smelling and I don't see any silt. I did give him some kale the morning of the dental so that may account for the slightly high calcium levels in the blood and the solid appearance of the sludge in his xray. But my guess is this is just a condition we're going to be fighting for the remainder of his life.

He has been more active today and eating his oat hay, but is still snubbing his timothy for the most part. He seems more comfortable which is a relief. I'm guessing that spur was really paining him. His interaction with me has undergone a bit of a change too by how much more interested he is in what's going on around him. When he's not well he just kind of sits in a slumped position and only briefly startles if you touch him, then goes off and slumps again. He's much more lively today than I've seen him in a while. :)

Thank you again, everyone, for thinking of my dear wee bub. :) xxxx

Glad to hear that he is continuing to improve - bless him :D :love::love:

I have just stopped feeding my kale and have tried them back on spring greens - sulks all round at the mo! :roll:

Hugs and nose rubs to little Mimzy xxx

Hi MM
Just found this. Im happy you are seeing some positive changes in Mimzy post dental.
Hope it continues. :) sending nose rubs to the little fluffer!

Hi Jerz! :wave: Good to see you here! :)
Thanks very much. Yeah, he's doing well today still. I was afraid I didn't put his bottle in the same place after I cleaned him up last night and he wouldn't be able to find it or reach it properly but he's still using it today. I'm gobsmacked because that was a skill that went completely out the window once he got tilt. If I'd known he might still have been able to use it now, I'd have put it back up for him awhile ago.

All the bunnies seem a little dry. They drink relatively well, but I just had to take Fiver's bottle away too because it just won't come clean no matter what I do to it. So I need to get him a new one. He's not used to bowls so he's feeling a bit sorry for himself today.

Can't wait for spring to get here. Then we'll have more humidity...of course that means mosquitoes but...ah well. It's a trade off. :roll:

Back