• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this look like a bite?

Graciee

Staff member
I don't think it's from me injecting him plus ofc the missing fur.. I think Clementine has bitten him :'(

I didn't even notice, she's been a bit pushy with me the last day or so tho, not sure what's best to do tbh as in if I should seperate them, and does he need to see a vet? I remember something about rabbit bites being quite nasty for some reason? Plus ofc he's on steroids so maybe he's got a weakened immune system? Idk any advice would be great, I feel like everything is just going wrong atm :(
49d53550cc354e78d17c09006e8b149c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I know from past experience that Baytril injections done sub Q can cause a burn which will eventually heel and fall off leaving a bald spot. It was easily avoided by drawing up fluids after drawing the correct amount of medicine into the syringe before injecting sub Q.
I never had experience with steroids, though I wonder if a similar burn is possible with steroids.
He is doing so well!

Last edited:
As there appears to be two puncture sites at a guess I’d say it’s a bite wound. Does the area feel warm and/or swollen ? It’s really hard to judge from a photo.

As bunny momma says Baytril can cause a nasty skin reaction (Baytril Burn) and even sterile abscesses. Personally I have never had issues with steroid injections as I gave those intramuscularly

A nip could have occurred if Clementine over grooms the area Atticus has injections. If he can reach the area he could have bitten himself if it’s irritating him. If the dynamics of their relationship seem to be normal with no evidence of either being stressed or with any other concerning behaviour I wouldn’t separate them. Perhaps you could email the image to your Vet, although as I said it’s not really possible to accurately assess a wound from a photo.

I wouldn’t bathe it or put any topical treatment on it before speaking with your Vet. In the photo it doesn’t look to be infected, but you will need to keep an eye on it to make sure the tissue damage doesn’t spread or start to discharge at all.

I was shown how to give injections IM like Jane mentioned, yet I was not as skilled as Jane with my small bunnies; though I heard that also prevented the burn with Baytril.

Last edited:
Thanks both! Sorry today's been a snotty feverish nightmare [emoji38]

I'll keep a super close eye on it and talk to William Monday. What's the term for how I give the steroids? I'm not sure [emoji51] I just make the tent thing then it's under the skin right? So subcutaneous? Idek. I just do it how I was shown.

Thinking about it more it can't be the injections though I do them all over the back of him now, and yea there's definitely 2 teeth cuts there :/ Idk why she'd have done this though. They're a funny pair though always have been :/ sometimes if Atticus doesn't understand what she wants she gets very annoyed, but he doesn't really seem to understand how to rabbit anymore so it's hard [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Yeah subcutaneous is where you tent skin. If you give injections all over not as likely to be from them.
Perhaps now that Atticus is stronger Clem is threatened asserting her dominance?
I am sorry you are dealing with illness. Sending feel better vibes.

Back