• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Claude poorly again this am :( Hes gone :(

Marie? Have you tried liquid paraffin or lactulose or both??? When Edwin had a blockage last year (through grass sickness) it was finally the lactulose that got him going and saved his life.....ask your vets asap...liquid paraffin, lactulose and plenty of water...that really was the key. I hope your sweet boy makes it.

And if he is bloaty, as is my Pedro, then you might be well advised to keep him on a daily dose or Ranitadine...again, ask your vets about it. It really does help....don't give up on your boy.....Edwin didn't eat on his own for a few days but was syringed water. As John at Ebony Eyes said to me, a bunny can go a few days without food and still make it but not without water....Edwin made it and so, too, I hope can your lovely Claude. ;):love:

I did have a bun go for GI blockage surgery last year and survive. It is not usually recommended - and my vet explained it was only because she was going to die if we did not attempt it. Some vets won't do it and you will have to think very seriously if offered it. In my case it was a footpad fur 'wodge' that had totally blocked the caecum passage.

I am not sure which treatments they had tried beforehand - she bloated up very very quickly (literally a couple of hours and she was like a football) - they only tried for a couple of hours before operating as she was literally going to burst - when they masked her down for the op apparently green fluid poured out -; so it sounds like maybe your blockage is not so bad if Claude has managed a few poos and kept going so long?????.

Last edited:
If he has managed to pass some poos, that is a good sign. Keep him moving regularly, I know how tiring and stressful it is. I hope he improves overnight. Big hug to you.

Re liquid paraffin, I have read elsewhere this is not recommended for blockages. Your vet should be able to advise if it is appropriate.

Just found this link which has mixed views:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131193&highlight=liquid+paraffin

Got all fingers and paws crossed for Claude.

Last edited:
He is still refusing food this am but i dont think he is as bloated and has done about 4 more bits of poo,Ive syringed some more water but he still wants to just keep lying down and also dont think he has had a wee

The fact that he is passing something is good (Katy never passed anything for about 4 days). Try to get him moving around more - cruel to be kind I know.

I think the Buscapan that my vet gave was like a muscle relaxant so she was not having muscle spasms and it was more relaxed. It may be worth asking your vet if something like this would help.

Come on Claude,do some more poops and eat some food.

He did he massive wee on the dogs bed the first since yesterday
Has done a couple more pooes

Good news, sounds promising. Come on Claude we need some more.............. he may then feel like eating something. Do you have a variety of herbs, kale, spinach, spring cabbage etc you could try and tempt him with a bit later to eat on his own.

Good news, sounds promising. Come on Claude we need some more.............. he may then feel like eating something. Do you have a variety of herbs, kale, spinach, spring cabbage etc you could try and tempt him with a bit later to eat on his own.

Shall i start syringe feeding food now hes pooing?
Ive tried him with spring greens dandilion and apple this morning hes just not intrested

Just to back up what Lizzie said - Bobby was very poorly and didn't eat for 3 days.
He had liquid parafin and it worked a treat. I know sometimes it's not recommended, but it was last chance saloon with him and it did work.

Just to back up what Lizzie said - Bobby was very poorly and didn't eat for 3 days.
He had liquid parafin and it worked a treat. I know sometimes it's not recommended, but it was last chance saloon with him and it did work.

Does he still need it if hes starting to poo? Did he look unhappy keep lying down etc?

He did do the odd poo, and spent most fo his time sleeping, but I don't think he looked uncomfortable, just wasn't eating of pooing.
We did feed recovery food, but not much.
Th liquid parafin was on teh vets recommendation, so it may be worth seeing what your vet thinks?

He did do the odd poo, and spent most fo his time sleeping, but I don't think he looked uncomfortable, just wasn't eating of pooing.
We did feed recovery food, but not much.
Th liquid parafin was on teh vets recommendation, so it may be worth seeing what your vet thinks?

Did he have a blockage? how long did it take to work?

Back