• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry - home but subdued

Karen - I order regularly from timothyhay.co.uk and they've accidently sent me the 2013 batch when I ordered 2014. You're welcome to it if you think your bunnies would like it? I'm going to re-order tonight from them.

I'm free this weekend if you need any help. I'm not actually sure how useful I would be helping wound cleaning as I am quite squeamish (although can manage injections fine so may be OK).

Yes please to the 2013 batch.

I'm working a lot this weekend but thank you for your offer. It would be good to catch up soon.

Oh I'm sorry to read about cherry's infection :( poor her and of course you. Sending a million vibes for her & calming strength to you x

Took Cherry back to see John today. Had to leave her there for him to x-ray and clean up her abscesses. I have really struggled to keep them bathed and packed with honey. I'm on my own and holding her and trying to get the yucky stuff out has proved impossible. She pants too so I know I am hurting her. I dread doing it and when I leave for work at 0600 it is a nightmare trying to get it done properly. The abscesses have scabbed over and although I tried to open them up it was hurting Cherry too much and I gave up.

John was pleased with how they looked - which amazed me. I told him how I have been finding it difficult and about my hysterectomy meaning I won't be able to drive for six weeks so won't be able to take her back to Andover after my op.

He 'phoned me later and said that he was pleased with the wounds and that they had nearly healed. Her x-ray showed her lungs have improved - there is no abscess there which is what the other vet I saw thought may be the reason for Cherry's rapid breathing. He suggested I leave her there so they can do the cleaning of the abscesses. I was worried about the cost, but I owe so much anyway that it won't make that much difference and long term, if the abscesses heal while she is there, I won't have to keep driving her to Andover - which at an hour each way is costing me a fortune in petrol. She has her husbun with her, and I've seen the large pen she is in so I know she isn't cooped up in a tiny cage.

I agreed she could stay there and I will try to pick her up on Friday, although as I work two jobs that day, collecting her will be a nightmare. I feel really bad but not having to bathe and medicate her tonight was bliss and I can get up a bit later tomorrow as well as it took about half an hour each morning. I must be a really bad bunny mummy feeling like that - and I do miss her and Hovis - but I hated hurting her and the staff at the surgery will be able to give her more pain relief if she needs it.

Don't feel bad, you've done a great job with her, you have a lot going on at once and are in need of a break. It is exhausting nursing a poorly bunny at the best of times let alone having your own health issues and impending surgery yourself to contend with. The staff will most probably dote on her while she is staying and can keep a good eye on tending to her wounds which will do her good in the long run. She has her Hovis with her which will make her feel more comfortable for her stay there too xxx

Thank you sooooo much. The surgery called to check if they could send you a receipt showing my address and details of the bill and I said of course they can. Cherry and I really appreciate it.

I got the receipt through today. The bill total looks much more manageable now :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

It was actually about £200 less than I had been told. I think they forgot to add the last op. I am not going to query it. Am hoping her x-ray and current stay doesn't increase it too much. I now have a PIN for my credit card so I can use it which is a relief.

Spoke to a vet nurse earlier who said that Cherry is eating like a horse - no change there then - and that they are giving her injectable pain relief. They are cleaning out the infection from her abscesses. I think I did the right thing leaving her there.

Thank you so much for your help, Liz. It was really kind of you and Cherry and I really appreciate it.

Cherry is staying in over the weekend. I work two jobs tomorrow so picking her up would have been a nightmare. John agreed it would be best and my partner is paying for the extra nights.

I miss her but am relieved not to keep having to hurt her. If she didn't have Hovis with her I would have had her home sooner but I know he will look after her - they have a very strong bond.

She is such a brave bunny.

Tinsel - tried to pm you but your inbox is full. I've sent an e-mail to Anton Vets and John has just responded to say he will sort it.

Never thought it would be so difficult for people to make donations to my bill!!!

Thank you lots

xxx

Tinsel - tried to pm you but your inbox is full. I've sent an e-mail to Anton Vets and John has just responded to say he will sort it.

Never thought it would be so difficult for people to make donations to my bill!!!

Thank you lots

xxx

Oops - just saw this - sorry!

Hopefully now J is back on the case they will ring me this morning.

xxx

ETA Done! :wave:

Last edited:
It's so much easier for vets to clean wounds etc as they don't have the emotional bond - not meaning they will be rough just that we worry more, whereas the vets know it's ok :)

Hope I've explained what I was meaning right x

I managed much better when I had someone to hold her but I live alone so had to try to do it on my own and have arthritis in my neck and shoulders so my left arm and hand go numb periodically which didn't help.

Oh yes its really a two man job as animals like to fidget. I hope you get some positive news about Cherry on Monday :) you've done so much to help her :thumb:

I get a numb left arm from my shoulder - though mine is fibromyalgia - so can imagine how difficult it was holding Cherry & cleaning.

I phoned this morning and spoke to one of the staff who was with Cherry. The wound is still open but healing. She's snuggling with hovis and eating loads and has been having cuddles.

I'm working 0700-1300 tomorrow so will try and text John to see if I can pick her up after work.

Picking Cherry up after work. John said the wound has nearly healed. I just hope I can continue their good work and it doesn't get infected again.

Will be lovely to see her and Hovis. Not looking forward to the drive though. It is pouring with rain here and the roads are awful.

Back