• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry - home but subdued

I'm sorry about your & Cherry's health problems. I think its a great idea to do a go fund page. People will want to help, most people probably couldn't help enough to make a difference individually but collectively. People's circumstances do change over time, I think anyone sensible will appreciate that.

I'm not a rescue and Cherry was originally a foster bun but the rescue closed down and I ended up keeping her and her Mum and sister.

Won't people think it's a cheek for me to do a go fund me page. We're always being told not to have animals if we can't afford the vet bills. I had three jobs when I adopted Cherry though and have had to reduce my hours due to ill-health - physical and mental - after two breakdowns.

I don't have any family and at times RU has been my lifeline. If I annoyed people and could no longer come here it would devestate me - that's what scares me.

Unless a Rescue has Charitable Status then how they fund raise is exactly the same as what you may want to do. Many non charity individuals have started a Go Fund Me page to cover the cost of Vet Bills for a specific Rabbit. If people dont want to contribute they dont have to. If people dont want to read about requests for help they can simply not open the thread.

What other people may or may not think about us can become a big deal when we are already feeling very low, ill and vulnerable. But in reality what strangers who know naff all about our situation think about us is totally irrelevant. Those who want to help, be supportive, show compassion will do so. Those who sit waiting to find something to be offended by/annoyed by are just not worth wasting mental resources thinking about. There are much more important matters to deal with.

No idea where that rant came from :shock:

I hope you manage to sort things out, I know all too well how any type of physical incapacity can have a monumental effect on our ability to cope with a MH problem

I've only just caught up with what's being happening with Cherry since the amputation; it sounds like a very stressful time (especially with your own health worries too) and I'm sending lots of vibes for Cherry. It sounds like you're doing everything you can & it's scary just how quick vet bills can mount up isn't it. :(

It sounds like John is really understanding about your financial situation. Have you worked out how much you will be able to find each month and have you agreed any actual figures with John for repayments? That might help to reassure you that the bill will be paid, even if it takes you a while.

Is there anything specific you need help with re. photobucket? If we can help you get those photos uploaded, then at least you can put some stuff up for sale to raise a few pennies.

With respect to fundraising, we don't allow individuals to fundraise on the forum (and we don't allow any straight requests for cash anyhow, even from rescues) but it's fine for a member to put a link in their signature to a Go Fund Me page, or similar (as long as the link isn't plugged on the forum either).

This has been done several times in the past and nobody's ever been made to feel like they should leave the forum so I don't think you need to worry about that aspect Rhianna. People have a choice whether to donate or not and hopefully anybody would understand that your circumstances have changed considerably due to things that are outside of your control.

Sending lots of vibes for both you and Cherry. xx

I'm not a rescue and Cherry was originally a foster bun but the rescue closed down and I ended up keeping her and her Mum and sister.

Won't people think it's a cheek for me to do a go fund me page. We're always being told not to have animals if we can't afford the vet bills. I had three jobs when I adopted Cherry though and have had to reduce my hours due to ill-health - physical and mental - after two breakdowns.

I don't have any family and at times RU has been my lifeline. If I annoyed people and could no longer come here it would devestate me - that's what scares me.

Not at all! Parsnipbun on here did one to fund an operation on her rabbit's eyes.

You don't have to be a Rescue! You wouldn't annoy anyone - not me anyway :D

For your info: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...arlie-at-RVC-UD-Done-can-see-in-one-eye-again!!

Last edited:
Depression can lead to an overwhelming feeling of being unable to cope because you can't split things into manageable bites, but just see the whole problem, so you can't even get started because you don't know how.

So, the vet bill: People's circumstances change and life can take devastating turns we didn't even think about. There are quite a few on here who would vouch for that. As J-J said, if you set up a fund me page, people don't have to contribute if they don't want to. Have you actually set up a payment plan with John?

Pets: It looks as though you have had offers of help with looking after your pets whilst you are recuperating. Take up those offers.

I wonder whether there are any benefits you can claim if you are ill and unable to work?

As for the other 'stuff' I'm certainly not judging because how you live is obviously your choice - but what I would say is that, in my opinion, sharing someone doesn't do our self-esteem or mental health a whole lot of good. Walking away can be hard but dangling can be harder.

Let me know if I can do anything.

Not at all! Parsnipbun on here did one to fund an operation on her rabbit's eyes.

You don't have to be a Rescue! You wouldn't annoy anyone - not me anyway :D

For your info: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...arlie-at-RVC-UD-Done-can-see-in-one-eye-again!!

As I already stated this morning, we don't allow those links to be posted on the forum though (even for rescues) but members are welcome to include a link to any such pages in their signature. :) I hadn't seen the thread you've linked to or else I would have removed the go fund me details at the time but I will do it now so as not to mislead other members into thinking it's allowed.

Had to take Cherry back yesterday as the abscesses are infected. It is my fault as I just can't clean them properly and hold her at the same time. They scab and it is clear it is hurting her if I try to remove the scab. She is breathing really fast all the time too.

John wasn't working so I saw another exotic vet. She spent ages with us and cleaned out the wounds thoroughly and packed them with honey. I had to buy more antibiotics and metacam too. John wants her in again next Tuesday so he can x-ray her lungs. The vet said although she could not hear anything Cherry could have an abscess on her lungs.

I am struggling. The drive took an hour there and an hour and a half back due to the traffic. I am up to my overdraft limit and couldn't pay anything yesterday. The bill is just getting higher and higher and an x-ray will mean sedation which will increase it a lot. I won't put Cherry through any more invasive surgery. It's not fair. She hates me cleaning her wounds twice a day. She is eating extremely well, snuggling with Hovis and is very active, but I feel bad about keep taking her to the vet. Both her and Hovis shake the whole time they are in the carrier.

I won't be able to drive for six weeks after my hysterectomy so am not going to be able to get her to Andover and I know I need to have the op asap as my symptoms are getting worst.

It will break my heart if she has to be put to sleep after all she has been through.

Sorry to hear this Karen :( if I can help in any way, you know where I am

Might it be worth Cherry staying over at Anton's? I know it would increase the bill but if they are able to speed up the healing process it might be better in the long term as you won't end up going back and forth all the time? Just a thought. Or could your local vets help you out with the cleaning/packing?

Just a warning about gofundme - they take a huge chunk in fees :( I set up one for Otis as people were requesting it but I would never do it again

I'm so sorry to read this. What a dreadful worry. I thought you were offered help with finances? - sorry if this hasn't worked out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear things are set back with Cherry's abscess.

I really hope you can find a way forward. Thinking of you x

My ex did give me £1000 towards the bill but I was so overdrawn only half of it went to pay the bill. Most of the rest got my car through the MOT. The bill now, including the £360 from the first vet I went to, has reached nearly £2000 and I have about £850 outstanding. The petrol for the journeys isn't helping. I did four trips to and from Andover when Cherry had her wound reopened and I think John wants me to leave her there again on Tuesday but I am hoping I can just wait while he does the x-ray.

I usually rely on overtime but because my own health is so bad and I had so many hospital appointments I had reduced the amount of overtime significantly, although I am doing more again now. The car needed lots of work too - all at the same time.

My ex did give me £1000 towards the bill but I was so overdrawn only half of it went to pay the bill. Most of the rest got my car through the MOT. The bill now, including the £360 from the first vet I went to, has reached nearly £2000 and I have about £850 outstanding. The petrol for the journeys isn't helping. I did four trips to and from Andover when Cherry had her wound reopened and I think John wants me to leave her there again on Tuesday but I am hoping I can just wait while he does the x-ray.

I usually rely on overtime but because my own health is so bad and I had so many hospital appointments I had reduced the amount of overtime significantly, although I am doing more again now. The car needed lots of work too - all at the same time.

Flipping cars. I've just paid nearly £500 for repairs, followed by two new tyres and now it needs a bit of bodywork done. Problem is, we can't do without them. I wish I lived near you as I would gladly help with the vet journeys and wound cleaning. Sometimes you just need someone to lend a hand and it feels so much better, as though part of the burden has been lifted from your shoulders.

And just to add - please take up any offers of help you've had: people are only too pleased to 'do their bit' when someone is having a difficult time.

Sorry for posting here and not via pm I can't work out how to do it on my phone!

Just to say its done and i hope it helps a little xx

Karen - I order regularly from timothyhay.co.uk and they've accidently sent me the 2013 batch when I ordered 2014. You're welcome to it if you think your bunnies would like it? I'm going to re-order tonight from them.

I'm free this weekend if you need any help. I'm not actually sure how useful I would be helping wound cleaning as I am quite squeamish (although can manage injections fine so may be OK).

Sorry for posting here and not via pm I can't work out how to do it on my phone!

Just to say its done and i hope it helps a little xx

Thank you sooooo much. The surgery called to check if they could send you a receipt showing my address and details of the bill and I said of course they can. Cherry and I really appreciate it.

Back