• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat horse hay?

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Hi I was wondering if rabbits can eat horse hay? The hay I buy at the petstore is horribly expensive(23 dollars for a 96 ounce bag!!:evil:) I live in the country surrounded by hay bales and i feel really stupid about buying this expesive hay when I can buy 5 times as much for the same price from a farmer. I have seen lots of ads from farmers selling horse hay. I have a horse too and i am going to buy hay for him too. Horse hay is usually good quality. So I was wondering if horse hay is safe for rabbits?

Yes, ordinary hay is OK in bales - lots of us here use it as it is much cheaper if you have several rabbits. It is often better quality than bagged, chopped up hay from pet supply shops. Just beware that haylage is different and is definitely NOT OK for rabbits.

Yes, ordinary hay is OK in bales - lots of us here use it as it is much cheaper if you have several rabbits. It is often better quality than bagged, chopped up hay from pet supply shops. Just beware that haylage is different and is definitely NOT OK for rabbits.

Good to hear!!! I have two rabbits and they chomp on hay like little machines. More often than not i fall asleep at night listening to thier chewing(so relaxing!;))

Yes!!!
For months and months id been buying the 'cheaper' hay from the shops just to bulk out the litter tray, then I thought one day.. "what the hell am I paying for it for???" I have a bloody horse and a shed full of hay OMG! haha. Now I use the horses hay for Lavenders litter tray and she has the excel dandilion & Camomile hay for her hay rack. But tbh, she eats the litter tray hay before she touches the dearer stuff x

Yes!!!
For months and months id been buying the 'cheaper' hay from the shops just to bulk out the litter tray, then I thought one day.. "what the hell am I paying for it for???" I have a bloody horse and a shed full of hay OMG! haha. Now I use the horses hay for Lavenders litter tray and she has the excel dandilion & Camomile hay for her hay rack. But tbh, she eats the litter tray hay before she touches the dearer stuff x

Yeah the hay from the store is awful it is over priced and stale. I used to buy hay from the store at $23 per 95oz (the price makes me feel sick!)

Back