• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bun not well help please updated

Awww, I'm sorry to hear your bunny is ill. Most vets (in my experience) are open until 7ish, can your o/h or someone take you to the vet a bit later (or even to the emergency vet later on)? Or is there a vet that is not your normal vet a bit closer. I hope your bun feels better soon.

That is good that she is weeing.

I would still keep her in if poss to keep an eye on her.. and a trip to the vets as soon as poss would be recommended.

Keep the fluids going in, I hope bun is ok xx

have you checked her over for injuries? One of my bunny's went like this when she hurt herself - like you I have no car and am tied to the house with kids, so I wrapped her in a towel and syringed some home-made 'medicine' into her - about a couple of teaspoons worth - and left her an hour to digest it. When I later gave her some grass and dandelions she wolfed them down and was fine after that - can you get some dandelions that aren't frost bitten?

If your bunny will only pee in one place you need to put her there for a while or she may hold it and make herself even more ill.

My home made medicine consisted of 100ml of water, warmed from the kettle, with a raspberry rennie rapize tablet crushed into it, half a soluble asprin, incase she was in pain, a crushed bromelain tablet and a teaspoon of probiotic powder - If you don't have the last 2 ingredients can you get hold of the first 2? Only syringe a tiny bit in at a time, sideways into the mouth, so you don't choke her.

Hope she recovers - what time does your O/H get in from work?

Hi again. Has your Bun passed any poops?? If not then you have to consider the possibility of a GI obstruction. In these circumstances force feeding will cause more harm than good. Can you have a gentle feel of your Buns tummy. If you have her positioned with her bum toward you and gently feel both sides of her abdomen with both your hands. VERY GENTLE pressure through your fingertips may detect lots of hard pellets in her guts. This is indicative of GI STASIS which left untreated can be fatal. Or does your buns tum feel rigid. A sign that there is a painful build up of gas in the intestines. If you put your ear to your Buns tum can you hear even the slightest 'gurgling'. If not then this is another indication that your Bun is in GI stasis. The only way to resolve the situation is to get your bun treatment...A gut motility drug and pain relief. I so hope you will be able to find a Vet tonight. Force feeding a bun who has obstructed can be very dangerous. Jane and Buns xx

Sorry its took so long to reply (busy day) Gypsy is fine today ate some carrot but not much pellets, drinking ok, and ripping all the news paper in her hutch so she must be feeling better. And back to not letting me pick her up and digger at my legs when i stand near her,(why do they do that? :? ) thanks for all your help. :p

deb said:
Sorry its took so long to reply (busy day) Gypsy is fine today ate some carrot but not much pellets, drinking ok, and ripping all the news paper in her hutch so she must be feeling better. And back to not letting me pick her up and digger at my legs when i stand near her,(why do they do that? :? ) thanks for all your help. :p

so what did the vet say? What was the cause in the end?

Back