• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Both rabbits not well

I still think they are both breathing a little different to normal - it’s how they would breathe if they are feeling a little stressed out, after a car journey for example.

Does anyone know if respiratory infections contagious?

I’ve now found the tiniest little blob of white discharge just inside one of their noses so I have called the vet...it wasn’t there this morning.

I still think they are both breathing a little different to normal - it’s how they would breathe if they are feeling a little stressed out, after a car journey for example.

I’ve now found the tiniest little blob of white discharge just inside one of their noses so I have called the vet...it wasn’t there this morning.

Yes, RTIs can be contagious. Personally I think I would want them both on abx ASAP.

Did they have any vaccinations in recent weeks ?

Some info' about Pneumonia here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/PneumoniaRabbits.htm

I assume they would be contagious between a bonded pair as any responsible bacteria would be in close proximity when they sneeze, groom etc. The bunny I most recently rehomed lost his partner to a respiratory infection & the last comment on that post was her partner (now my rabbit) had come down with it too.

I think it might be prudent to discuss antibiotics. Maybe bisolvon too. Could a culture be taken from the discharge?

Lots of vibes & well wishes

Sending lots more vibes for your two poorly bunnies. I, too, would be considering antibiotics.

I have another vets appointment to take them back this afternoon and I will certainly mention antibiotics.

They are indoor bunnies so not outside in the cold, and no vaccinations since September last year.

They're both almost 11 years old so getting quite elderly now unfortunately.

I have another vets appointment to take them back this afternoon and I will certainly mention antibiotics.

They are indoor bunnies so not outside in the cold, and no vaccinations since September last year.

They're both almost 11 years old so getting quite elderly now unfortunately.

How did you get on at the Vets ?

The vet has given him a really poor prognosis. He had an antibiotic jab yesterday but she didn’t seem to think it would make any difference and we’ve been sent him with some more painkillers. He’s fairly bright this morning, and eating hay, but I can see his little nose is working harder to breathe (I hadn’t noticed this until it was pointed out by the vet).

On a more positive note, our other bunny has cheered up a little bit today (thank goodness) - we now think she’s just been really stressed out this week with everything that’s been going on.

The vet has given him a really poor prognosis. He had an antibiotic jab yesterday but she didn’t seem to think it would make any difference and we’ve been sent him with some more painkillers. He’s fairly bright this morning, and eating hay, but I can see his little nose is working harder to breathe (I hadn’t noticed this until it was pointed out by the vet).

On a more positive note, our other bunny has cheered up a little bit today (thank goodness) - we now think she’s just been really stressed out this week with everything that’s been going on.

Oh dear :cry: Do you know what antibiotic was given and were you given a supply to continue to administer at home ? A one off abx dose is unlikely to be of much help, a full course is needed. Even if the abx given was a long acting one such as Oxytetracycline LA

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Oxytetracycline.htm

Did the Vet mention any signs of fluid on Bunny's lungs ? And/or any signs of an enlarged heart ?

Oh dear :cry: Do you know what antibiotic was given and were you given a supply to continue to administer at home ? A one off abx dose is unlikely to be of much help, a full course is needed. Even if the abx given was a long acting one such as Oxytetracycline LA

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Oxytetracycline.htm

Did the Vet mention any signs of fluid on Bunny's lungs ? And/or any signs of an enlarged heart ?

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

The vet thought there may be fluid in the lungs given the fluffy x ray photos, she she also mentioned that the heart didn’t have a strong outline in the x-ray but didn’t sound like it was enlarged.

I don’t know what she gave him yesterday but she seemed pretty certain that the antibiotics wouldn’t do any good, think it was just a token effort because we asked about them.

She is recommending PTS on Monday so going to see how things go. I’m frustrated that we don’t have a diagnosis as I feel like my decision isn’t going to be very well informed.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

The vet thought there may be fluid in the lungs given the fluffy x ray photos, she she also mentioned that the heart didn’t have a strong outline in the x-ray but didn’t sound like it was enlarged.

I don’t know what she gave him yesterday but she seemed pretty certain that the antibiotics wouldn’t do any good, think it was just a token effort because we asked about them.

She is recommending PTS on Monday so going to see how things go. I’m frustrated that we don’t have a diagnosis as I feel like my decision isn’t going to be very well informed.

I can understand that. This vet sounds a little pessimistic, many elderly bunnies successfully battle through serious illness & make it through. If you're not happy with her I'd seek a second opinion & see if another vet would engage in a more heartfelt & robust treatment for him. Good news your girl is doing better . Good your poorly bun is eating hay too. Thinking of you & sending more well wishes for your bunnies

[/B]

I can understand that. This vet sounds a little pessimistic, many elderly bunnies successfully battle through serious illness & make it through. If you're not happy with her I'd seek a second opinion & see if another vet would engage in a more heartfelt & robust treatment for him. Good news your girl is doing better . Good your poorly bun is eating hay too. Thinking of you & sending more well wishes for your bunnies

I agree with this. Sending lots more vibes.

[/B]

I agree with this. Sending lots more vibes.

Me too. I would not agree to PTS without a definitive diagnosis. Even in cases of Congestive Heart Failure there are treatments that can support heart function, improve clinical symptoms and give Bunny a bit more quality time. Your Bunny has not had any real diagnosis and the treatment given is certainly not the only things that could be done once a diagnosis has been established.

Just wondering whether your vet is rabbit-savvy?
Like the others, I would not agree to pts without a definite diagnosis.

[/B]

I agree also.

Back