• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Both rabbits not well

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Both of my bunnies are off their food and generally under the weather. They’ve barely touched their hay since yesterday and I’ve noticed a gradual decline in appetite over the past few days (one bunny is significantly worse). I’ve persuaded one of them to have some greens and pellets, and the other has had some critical care mix.

I have a vets appointment this morning, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas. They both seem pretty lethargic and are sitting hunched. The other strange symptoms I’ve noticed are possible faster breathing than normal (almost panting?!), and every so often it’s like their whole body twitches/jolts and then they settle back down.

One of them is a dental bunny and is up to date with his dentals so I’m confident teeth are ok. They are both fully vaccinated.

I don’t know if I’m just reading too much into their symptoms, or if one has picked up on the other not being well.

Really worried 😟

I have no idea what the issue might be but you are doing exactly the right thing by getting them seen by a vet asap.
bunnies not eating needs addressing asap. could be nothing but it's not worth the risk delaying.

good luck & you have my best wishes. xxx

Sorry your bunnies don't seem well. It is very strange to have 2 ill at the same time. You say they are vaccinated, is that with both vaccines? Have they eaten something they shouldn't have? Have they had a scare in the night if they are outdoors. I do hope they improve and that the Vet can find the problem.

I know - it's really strange, but I'm just not happy with either of them. They are indoors so shouldn't have had any sort of scare. It did occur to me that maybe they have eaten something they shouldn't have, but I can't think of what that could be....unless its something they have found in their hay.

Yeah they've had all vaccines - myxi, and both vhd1&2.

Thanks everyone. I am back from the vets with them.

We've had x-rays, blood tests, fluid and pain relief and a diuretic. Blood tests ok for kidneys and glucose levels. No sign of blockages or tumours on the x-rays.

Lungs by chance appeared on one of the x-ray photos and vet doesn't think they look right - she used the term "fluffy".

Been sent home with pain relief and calling the vet tomorrow AM for an update.

:( I feel for you - its such a worry when both are ill & when you can't find a cause.

A few years ago 2 bunnies out of my trio became poorly, barely there appetite (would nibble but not for long) & really lethargic. The third bunny was fine.

It transpired my F-in-law had done some soldering in their room :evil: though he denied it at the time the signs were there & it eventually came out. So the poor mites have suffered toxic poisoning :( Have you got carbon monoxide detectors ? Just a random thing to rule out

I'm pleased most of their dianostics offer reassurance. Did your vet offer any thoughts as to the fluffy lung images?

Thinking of you all - I hope they recover soon

Good luck with them both. How awful having both of them to worry about. I hope they both start eating and running around soon

Just a thought, but have you started new hay/food recently? Could any of it be contaminated with anything? Changed any bowls or given any new toys?

Thanks everyone. I am back from the vets with them.

We've had x-rays, blood tests, fluid and pain relief and a diuretic. Blood tests ok for kidneys and glucose levels. No sign of blockages or tumours on the x-rays.

Lungs by chance appeared on one of the x-ray photos and vet doesn't think they look right - she used the term "fluffy".

Been sent home with pain relief and calling the vet tomorrow AM for an update.

The 'fluffy lungs' noted on Xray may be indicative of a past or current RTI. Did the Vet take your Rabbit's temperatures ? Is the Rabbit who had an increased respiratory rate/effort the one who's Chest Xray was somewhat abnormal ?

The 'fluffy lungs' noted on Xray may be indicative of a past or current RTI. Did the Vet take your Rabbit's temperatures ? Is the Rabbit who had an increased respiratory rate/effort the one who's Chest Xray was somewhat abnormal ?

As far as I'm aware temperature wasn't taken, and yes I thought he might have an increased respiratory rate, although the vet said his breathing seemed normalish this morning.

She did mention potential edema, or maybe heart failure :cry: I think pneuomonia was also mentioned.

As far as I'm aware temperature wasn't taken, and yes I thought he might have an increased respiratory rate, although the vet said his breathing seemed normalish this morning.

She did mention potential edema, or maybe heart failure :cry: I think pneuomonia was also mentioned.

Were antibiotics mentioned at all ?

No they weren’t; but I do need to give the vet a ring in the morning with a progress update so I could possibly mention it then. No improvement so far today unfortunately.

I think basically she wasn’t really sure what was wrong with him, but wanted to try this diuretic first to clear any fluid.

No they weren’t; but I do need to give the vet a ring in the morning with a progress update so I could possibly mention it then. No improvement so far today unfortunately.

I think basically she wasn’t really sure what was wrong with him, but wanted to try this diuretic first to clear any fluid.

Is the respiratory rate/effort still abnormal ?

Back