• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur needed? Yes or no.

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Background
Hi, Ive just adopted 2 mini lops, sisters, both 7 and half years old. Their previous owner who has had them since they were kittens is moving abroad. They are house rabbits. They’ve never had panacur before. The previous vet records show that February 22 one rabbit, Cole‘s left eye had a mature cataract, pair-ve , the right eye “fundus ok, possible slight increased retinal vascularise?”
theres no further mention in the records of either eye. Theywere last seen by their vet 10 days ago.
I‘ve registered with a rabbit savvy vet -( theyre on the recommended RWA vet list as good standard). The rabbits had a 1 and a half hour car journey four days ago. They’re slowly becoming free range in my flat .But I want them to properly settle before a vet visit.

so should they have panacur and if so, for 9 days 3 or 4 times a year or 28 days once yearly?
I hope you can help me .

I tend to treat incoming rabbits with Panacur for 28 days for control of EC.

It's important to maintain hygiene at the same time - anything that may come into contact with urine (which is how EC spores are spread) needs to be regularly (weekly) disinfected or steam cleaned. Existing rabbits which may share some common areas should also be treated at the same time.

The best thing is to check what the previous owner did (ie have they been treated recently?), and there's no harm in ringing your vet for advice - but speak to the vet (rather than eg the receptionist).

Hi, thanks for your very welcome reply. The previous owner took them to her vet, who is not rabbit savvy, 10 days ago mainly for their vaccinations which they’d never had before but was stipulated by the rescue place who’d put that owner and myself in contact with each other. My previous two rabbits had passed away at a good age, 11 and 13, a short while ago and everything was thoroughly cleaned then.
I’ll start them both then on the 28 day course. Though in my preparation for the likely need to administer panacur (or any other meds!) Ive tried with only partial success so far to mix wet mashed pellets with a tasty morsel of banana.Without the addition of a tasty morsel they’re both completely fine. So far Cole, described by her previous owner as a fussy eater isn’t as keen on the morsel, but I‘ll experiment with other tasty items. Ive always found a solution before.
i suppose I’m reluctant to contact the vet as I’m sure their response will be, bring them in. They’re not that near either. I really want them to be fully settled in their new environment ( which includes two cats who are diffcult to exclude from the living room but who thankfully ignore them).

I use the Panacur 10% liquid at a dose rate of 0.2ml/kg. It works out to be more economical than the Panacur paste.

Some Rabbits who are reluctant to take it from a syringe will take it if it’s been soaked into a malted shreddie.

Hi, thanks for the info on Panacur liquid. I’ve still two tubes of the paste from before (still before their expiry date) so I’ll try them first thanks.
I‘ve previously found syringe feeding a problem, though I have used it once before, when all else failed.
The malted shreddie sounds very promising.
As a PS to my last post, the previous owner had never heard of panacur.

Back