• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

I had a dental bun and he had squeeky noises when eating. When i got it checked they said where his teeth where jaggered the folds of this cheek catch and fold over to make a squeeky sound??? Was a long time ago so could be wrong?

He didn't have a cyst (that I know of) but had bad malliclusion with over eruption of teeth and bad spurs

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Thats interesting Loobers - about the squeaky teeth & your vets explanation. Its so loud!

Thank You Tulsi.

I've tried syringe feeding her water but it was a right battle. I've been feeding her quite a lot of cucumber since they are so high in water which she is really enjoying. Do you think I need to limit the quantity?

My Sam also makes squeaky noises when his teeth needs dental. Usually it happens when there's a loose tooth, he had one removed a few days ago. He's recovering and squeaky noises are gone for now. Hope your bunny gets better soon.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

My Sam also makes squeaky noises when his teeth needs dental. Usually it happens when there's a loose tooth, he had one removed a few days ago. He's recovering and squeaky noises are gone for now. Hope your bunny gets better soon.

That makes sense. Many thanks for your reply. I wish Sam a smooth recovery. How often does he need dentals?

Thank You Tulsi.

I've tried syringe feeding her water but it was a right battle. I've been feeding her quite a lot of cucumber since they are so high in water which she is really enjoying. Do you think I need to limit the quantity?

They are 95% water, so no I wouldn't.

Thank You Tulsi.

No don't limit them if she likes them. A lot of buns don't eat that much cucumber but it's good for hydration as are wet herbs :)

Thank You. He's doing quite well. It's been his third dental. First and second dental was almost 8 months apart. But during his second one our new vet missed a loose tooth and we had to go in for a third one after a month. His mouth is still a bit sore, but he started eating the same evening after his dental. Hope Boo recovers well.

Thank You. He's doing quite well. It's been his third dental. First and second dental was almost 8 months apart. But during his second one our new vet missed a loose tooth and we had to go in for a third one after a month. His mouth is still a bit sore, but he started eating the same evening after his dental. Hope Boo recovers well.

Thank You

How's Boo? I hope you can arrange something with Heather.

She is such a poppet. She lay by OH with her head on his pillow for loves in the middle of the night.She seems on good form today. Poos are a bit small but plentiful.

I didn't speak to Heather as she wasn't available but she is booked in with her for a dental tomorrow

For those of you unfamiliar with Boo's health issue. She went to the vets in Nov with a few vague symptoms (occassional sneeze, occassional quacking sound, pawed at cheek when eating twice). The key difference I guess with Boo is that she didn't have demonstrate any signs of being a dental bun - she acts completely normally & continues to eat anything & everything offered (weight maintained). On a hunch that something wasn't right she had GA, bloods & skull radiographs. Findings were 2 missing teeth (premolars) & her opposing mandible tooth had grown up & caused an ulcer. The missing teeth still had quite deep sockets. No signs of infection evident. Apart from the missing 2 teeth & the spurrred one that has nothing to grind on, her mouth & teeth look really healthy, no signs of dental disease you would normally see.

Her next GA was planned for 7 weeks later. Her tooth was burred, no soft tissue damage.

My question (WWYD) is really about how long should we leave it before her next tooth burr, given she doesn't have any of the usual ways of telling me she needs one. At the vet she doesn't help either, while most rabbit have a good chew on the ottoscope, Boo sits quietly on the table with it in her mouth, my vet isn't able to see much at all during consult.

My bunny was very similar. He'd only occasionally give obvious signs . I had his teeth done routinely every 6 to 7 weeks. Like boo, he was very forgiving. He had a total of 56 dentals throughout his life x

She is such a poppet. She lay by OH with her head on his pillow for loves in the middle of the night.She seems on good form today. Poos are a bit small but plentiful.

I didn't speak to Heather as she wasn't available but she is booked in with her for a dental tomorrow

:love:

Glad you've got her booked in.

My bunny was very similar. He'd only occasionally give obvious signs . I had his teeth done routinely every 6 to 7 weeks. Like boo, he was very forgiving. He had a total of 56 dentals throughout his life x

Wow, that is a lot of dentals. He must have had a strong spirit like my Boo as well. Thanks for writing - I think its good for myself (& others) to know how well some bunnies can cope with an enormous amount of dentals (& I assume GA's). I was thinking Boo's symptoms over last night, the most universal one seems to be she stops drinking water. As I understand it most bunnies drink more

Back