• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding day Today!!! quick advice pls 12 U/D and pics post 29

Can you post some pics of Sooty and Oreo?!

Poor Charlie... I had a 2 male fight yesterday... Ralph jumped out of his hutch while I was holding Ruby and went to the run that Buzz was in and attacked him through the bars. Proper boxing. He pulled some fur out of Buzz's nose :( so there is a little bald patch there now :( and poor Buzz kept trying to tap it with his paws like he had a wasp on his nose of something... Then because Ralph was threatened, he turned on me, and every time I tried to pick him up he would square up to me. And I wasn't even trying to bond them! :roll:

Was it easy to separate Oreo and Charlie?

Can you post some pics of Sooty and Oreo?!

Poor Charlie... I had a 2 male fight yesterday... Ralph jumped out of his hutch while I was holding Ruby and went to the run that Buzz was in and attacked him through the bars. Proper boxing. He pulled some fur out of Buzz's nose :( so there is a little bald patch there now :( and poor Buzz kept trying to tap it with his paws like he had a wasp on his nose of something... Then because Ralph was threatened, he turned on me, and every time I tried to pick him up he would square up to me. And I wasn't even trying to bond them! :roll:

Was it easy to separate Oreo and Charlie?

I sprayed mine with a bit of water to separate them. It distracted them for a moment so I was able to grab Frankie without getting my hand ripped apart :lol:

I sprayed mine with a bit of water to separate them. It distracted them for a moment so I was able to grab Frankie without getting my hand ripped apart :lol:

Hahaha:lol::lol::lol: good tactic!

When I tried to do that with Ralph, I obviously wasn't as quick on you and it made him angrier!!!

I always have a peice of board or a blanket handy. The board can be used to put between them to sperate them, or a blanket to throw over them to confuse them, enabling you to pick one up safely.

If they were really badly fighting then I think you did the right thing by taking Charlie out. Do be aware though that if the other two can see or smell Charlie (including the smell on clothes sometimes), it could still kick them off fighting - not just during their bond but anytime.

It's called referred aggression and is quite common among bonded pairs who can see or smell another bun. I just wanted to mention it so you're aware of it as you may need to consider how to lay out your accommodation for a pair and a single to minimise the risk.

Hope it's still going ok with the pair :)

the fact your stressed is a major factor, you should of asked a member close to you or a rescue to do it for you, buns sense fear which makes it worse,

the fighting i would of just used a broom to seperate, and hold aside until calm, ( i hope you didnt dive in with your hands are they still intact??)

anyways mounting is normal, fur pulling normal, chaseing normal, if your worried about feeding scatter the food instead of puttying it into a bowl, licky head is veryyyyyyy good,

fighting looks more like really bad scuffleing, really nasty fighting can be throwing each other in the air, scratching vicously, drawing blood,

timeing a fight a found a good indicator more than 20/30 seconds id use the broom, if they calmed then take broom out, and just watch, and repeat id stick it out for 12 hours at least provided you see buns eating and drinking

do not handle your buns, unless you are sure its a real fight,

dont move move your buns from there bonding place for at least 48 hrs GRADUALY increase there space

as for putting your 3rd bun bk in, its up to you, me i would but thats just me and ive done a few bondings and know what to expect

your pair sound fine and perfectly normal behaviour :D

i also agree with santa on the refereed agression too

If they were really badly fighting then I think you did the right thing by taking Charlie out. Do be aware though that if the other two can see or smell Charlie (including the smell on clothes sometimes), it could still kick them off fighting - not just during their bond but anytime.

It's called referred aggression and is quite common among bonded pairs who can see or smell another bun. I just wanted to mention it so you're aware of it as you may need to consider how to lay out your accommodation for a pair and a single to minimise the risk.

Hope it's still going ok with the pair :)

yes I have read about referred aggression - thanks for the advice!
Do you think if I left him in the room with them while they continue to bond they would get used to him and his smell - he is still next to them at the mo in a cage and the bond is still going ok between Oreo and Sooty. They would all get a lot more room in the spare room so ideally would like to leave him in there as a single?
I was going to give Charlie another go but he is so angry - he wont let me come near him now - lunging and boxing so i will leave him now :(

then no dont do it, take him away from the whole situation, ther smells will just wind him up more

An update - Here are some photos:
CIMG1050.jpg

CIMG1042.jpg

Sooty totally chillaxed :D
CIMG1053-1.jpg

Just an update - Sooty and Oreo are all good, snuggling, eating, grooming etc and Ive had Charlie out in the bathroom for a bit and had some lovely nose rubs - he is totally chilled too - went back in his cage and flopped - so think I did the right thing - Charlie was a lone house bun for 3 years so I think he isnt too keen on other buns.. especailly as I think Oreo had already claimed Sooty :love:
I will have a re-think and either keep Charlie as a single and give him lots of attention from me or if my financial situation is stable get him a friend of his own!

p.s candiflare and all other worried about my hands - i was well prepared - blanket, broom and VERY thick gloves - they came apart ok, no injuries by anybun or me thats the main thing xx

anyone wanna look at my pics? :(

Im a proud mummy... Im so happy with these two - I never thought they would go together sooo easily and oreo is so in love with sooty you can see it :love:

Charlie is just going to be a mummies boy :lol: not sure I did the right thing seperating them so early but better to be safe than sorry...and everybun is happy :D

Charlie nomming - a pic i just took so he doesnt feel left out.

CIMG0975.jpg

They look great together!!! So happy! I always knew they'd get along! it's such a reward feeling that you've done things right by your bunnies :wave: that's what I felt when Ralph and Ruby finally got together.... Well done, it's all your hard work and love :love::love::love:

Well im up at 4.30am due to Oreo thumping like mad - dont know whats wrong with him :?

But they are still snuggling so thats good news :D and sharing their food. sooty has really surprised me, shes been sooo good.

Im shattered - no-one said bunny bonding was this tiring - but hopefully will be worth it :D
I cant believe how much hay they are eating as well :shock:- they were both big hay eaters anyway so i guess together they are working their way through a fair bit.

sleep now pleeeeeeease.

Awwwww :love:

I'm so pleased it all went well for you! :D

I think you definitely made the right decision regarding Charlie. If he is an indoor bun and you spend a lot of time with him, he shouldn't be too lonely

Well Done :D

:wave: (sent you a PM) YAY I knew you would do it, I did have reservations about Charlie but, wasn't sure but, I have read all this and that sounds logical what you have said. What a shame but fab that the original two have bonded. I knew they would. Well done you, will watch with interest to see what you decide to do with Charlie? You could possibly let him settle for a while and then give him to a rescue to bond to a female the same sort of age? Well done Kath x

Last edited:
Back