• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Olly and Molly... U/D dating approach failed too o(

I have failed. They are back downstairs now; I couldn't risk somebun getting really hurt. Molly is a hell of a lot stronger, quicker and more agile than Olly. She could do him serious damage. I am really annoyed at Olly for being such a pest. I couldn't have just separated where they were and then carried on tomorrow, it would be like starting over, and I have to work on tues. That's why I gave myself 4 days. He just wouldn't give up. She didn't really mind him humping her, it was the digging and nipping at her tummy/underneath that made her react, poor Molly. I have really come to love her since I started bonding them, she's been so good and so lovely. We will have to sort something out, I can't take her back :cry:

I'm sorry, silly bunnies they look good together. Hopefully you can think of a new plan when you've caught up on some sleep xxx

The slow bonding method isn't just about swapping cages. If slow bonding you can take as long as you like, you just put them together for an hour or so initially, them build up time as they settle. Some bonds have taken a few days this way and others have taken weeks- mainly due to the time I have available. When it comes to leaving them together all day it's done at a weekend. I have had very few bonds fail this way- Sorrell failed a couple because she is a very neurotic rabbit, and Snowball and Molly hated each other, but bonded quickly with other rabbits later. Their behaviour was extremely aggressive- they either sat at each side if the run or were taking chunks out of each other. I would also give them space, I don't believe in forcing a bond- mine get bonded in a 6 x 9 ft indoor run.
I certainly would not give up with initial attempts.

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know where Molly came from, but if it was a rescue, can they help with the bonding? Our local rescue take rabbits for 'bonding holidays'.

The slow bonding method isn't just about swapping cages. If slow bonding you can take as long as you like, you just put them together for an hour or so initially, them build up time as they settle. Some bonds have taken a few days this way and others have taken weeks- mainly due to the time I have available. When it comes to leaving them together all day it's done at a weekend. I have had very few bonds fail this way- Sorrell failed a couple because she is a very neurotic rabbit, and Snowball and Molly hated each other, but bonded quickly with other rabbits later. Their behaviour was extremely aggressive- they either sat at each side if the run or were taking chunks out of each other. I would also give them space, I don't believe in forcing a bond- mine get bonded in a 6 x 9 ft indoor run.
I certainly would not give up with initial attempts.

Hi :wave: thanks, yes, that might have to be the way forward from here on in. I was just concerned that each time i put them back together, the humping would start again with a vengeance, but i suppose as it never really died down in the first place, it couldn't be any worse that way :?
At the moment they are much happier in their pens downstairs, i have just let Molly out for a run round and she's ecstatic :love: my stress has just disappeared too. OH isn't really happy with them downstairs as they take up half the lounge, and it's a mess, but we'll just have to live with it for now. He has suggested maybe letting them play out together in the lounge, supervised - would this work similar to your method, or should it still be a neutral space i put them together in?

No, I've put them in shared space to bond before, don't do any disinfecting or stuff like that- works for me.
Main thing is let them take their own time and to give them space to get away from each other.

Hiya :wave:

You haven't failed - they just aren't feeling the love for each other yet. You have given it a really good go but they must need a bit more time.

Well done you for sticking it out as long as you did - it's really stressful seeing them at each other when you love them so much!

Hiya :wave:

You haven't failed - they just aren't feeling the love for each other yet. You have given it a really good go but they must need a bit more time.

Well done you for sticking it out as long as you did - it's really stressful seeing them at each other when you love them so much!

Thanks, I was so gutted though :( I was expecting loved up happy bunnies by tues morn, especially as it started so well. Molly was amazing to last that long without attacking him really x

She did do really well didn't she. Goes to show that she has settled in well with you to be that relaxed :D

Olly is lovely bless him :love:

I hope somebody on here who is well practiced with bonding can come up with something else that you could try x

She did do really well didn't she. Goes to show that she has settled in well with you to be that relaxed :D

Olly is lovely bless him :love:

I hope somebody on here who is well practiced with bonding can come up with something else that you could try x

I don't know if I'm classed as experienced but I've done about 30 bonds in my time using the slow bonding method and only had about 4 fails.:)

There seems to be a lot of people both for and against slow bonds. I like the idea of going slowly with plenty of space BUT I HAVE NEVER BONDED ANY RABBITS so its just an idea... Really hope they contine to get to know each other and manage to find love. So glad that you love Molly so much.

There seems to be a lot of people both for and against slow bonds. I like the idea of going slowly with plenty of space BUT I HAVE NEVER BONDED ANY RABBITS so its just an idea... Really hope they contine to get to know each other and manage to find love. So glad that you love Molly so much.

Thank you :wave:

Try not to get upset.... maybe it was just a bit too soon for Ollie..... Ive had very similar.... and with time.... Ive now got a most loved up pair ever xxx

I am sorry its been difficult. Every bond is different and every method too. Like Halfpenny I never used to disinfect or anything like that either.

With Cutie-pie and Bandit, as Bandit is twice her size, I started them off in the bath. I read a few threads on here about bonding in a bath. There was no humping as they cannot get a grip in a bath. I did put towels down, as it would be uncomfortable. I would leave them for a few hours at a time while constantly checking them.

One advantage of a bath is they tend to stay together and not hump. It could be that neither of them wanted to hump.

Is it possible someone could bond them for you, if you are worried ?

I am sorry its been difficult. Every bond is different and every method too. Like Halfpenny I never used to disinfect or anything like that either.

With Cutie-pie and Bandit, as Bandit is twice her size, I started them off in the bath. I read a few threads on here about bonding in a bath. There was no humping as they cannot get a grip in a bath. I did put towels down, as it would be uncomfortable. I would leave them for a few hours at a time while constantly checking them.

One advantage of a bath is they tend to stay together and not hump. It could be that neither of them wanted to hump.

Is it possible someone could bond them for you, if you are worried ?

Thanks, but I could never leave Olly with anyone else in a strange place, I would worry about him too much :oops: he is very nervous with anyone other than me, my OH and my mum. I am not too keen on the bath idea either, although obviously it has worked for some people. I am just going to try the dating approach, although I'll have to wait a while now, as Olly has a little wound near his bottom where it looks like he's had a nip :( he's been feeling a bit sorry for himself, although is still eating fine thank goodness.

Well i just tried the 'let them play out together and see what happens' approach, and that has failed too :( i don't think Olly wants another friend after all :( he was just on her straight away, humping front and back, and fur pulling, then she growled and lunged at him so i put Olly back in his pen :( he was really mad, biting the bars and scrabbling to get out again. I don't think this is going to work, i don't know what to do now :(

Unfortunately, it may mean they just don't like each other. I persisted with Molly and Snowball for about 2 months. Finally gave up and tried Snowball with Katie and Oddeye with Molly and had 2 happy bonds within 3 days of starting to date.

I started to bond Hugo and Sparrow today, they were together for 30 mins. He was rather focused on humping and Sparrow seemed to be very confused.
They did sit side by side of and on, when Hugo wasn't running after her. It may kick off tomorrow when I try again, but I'll just do short dates to begin with until they are more comfortable together.

Last edited:
Oh no, silly Olly! Why don't bunnies just realise they'd be happier if they got along :? So sorry to hear it hasn't worked out.

Oh man that is rotten :(

My two are bonded but Hollie still is a nippy wee moo with Herbie at times and they sleep apart now and again....even wish you could get to that stage :(

Mine has been a slow bond. ..living side by side with a divider ....swopping each others living space. ...playing in the garden together. ... only now after 5 months are they fully bonded. .but I think the slow bond has been good for them as they really know each other well....they did have the odd scuffle but I think they both figured each other out...I like the space idea and that's what mine had so they could get away from each other. ..this was my very first bond so took my time. Good luck x

Back