• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc is at the vets- test results-u/d-seems ok again

Aw...poor Bisc :(
Well he might be reacting to the reduced attention. But I know that Mimzy doesn't do as well with parsley anymore and it even makes him sludgy. Maybe just eliminate that for a while and see how he does. Don't drop all his veg and herbs off at once.
I have two bunnies who cannot have ANY treats...just hay and water and even some types of hay can cause troubles. As they age they seem to develop allergies and intolerances just like we do. :(
I hope Bisc will be feeling better soon. xxxx

thanks everyone. he's ok again now. i rang the vets (i used the phone again! :shock:) and i asked to send an email to the vet so he can read all my thoughts in his own time and then get back to me. it was quite a long email. :oops:

anyway, and this is not even a joke... i pressed send and not long after, bisc goes in his tray, does a wee, comes flying out of the tray again doing head binkies, then came over to me, begged for probiotics and then ate loads of hay. :evil::love: since then he has been fine! since the one wee this morning, no more outside the trays.

i don't understand!! whatever it is, it comes and goes. we really think it is to do with some foods irritating his tummy and bladder though. he's had thyme and basil for his tea (he only has a small side plate) and so far he has been fine. he's drinking but not guzzling his water like he was doing yesterday.

we're just going to record what he eats and when he has these 'moments' and see if we can see what is causing it.

i'll see what the vet says but i really think he's becoming intolerant to certain things. it makes sense as he has always been sensitive anyway.

but for now he's ok again. :love:

I'm glad he's ok again :D that's interesting though; try leaving out the parsley. Olly is exactly the same if he has parsley. It is quite high in calcium. Basil and mint are fine for him though, does Bisc like mint? x

thanks everyone. he's ok again now. i rang the vets (i used the phone again! :shock:) and i asked to send an email to the vet so he can read all my thoughts in his own time and then get back to me. it was quite a long email. :oops:

anyway, and this is not even a joke... i pressed send and not long after, bisc goes in his tray, does a wee, comes flying out of the tray again doing head binkies, then came over to me, begged for probiotics and then ate loads of hay. :evil::love: since then he has been fine! since the one wee this morning, no more outside the trays.

i don't understand!! whatever it is, it comes and goes. we really think it is to do with some foods irritating his tummy and bladder though. he's had thyme and basil for his tea (he only has a small side plate) and so far he has been fine. he's drinking but not guzzling his water like he was doing yesterday.

we're just going to record what he eats and when he has these 'moments' and see if we can see what is causing it.

i'll see what the vet says but i really think he's becoming intolerant to certain things. it makes sense as he has always been sensitive anyway.

but for now he's ok again. :love:

I'm glad he's ok again :D that's interesting though; try leaving out the parsley. Olly is exactly the same if he has parsley. It is quite high in calcium. Basil and mint are fine for him though, does Bisc like mint? x

i think it's safe to say he doesn't like mint.... he was horrified by it! :lol: honestly, it's one of my funniest memories with him. i have never seen him so disgusted in his whole life! :shock::lol:

i'll stop feeding him parsley then and see if that makes a difference. x

the vet agrees that stopping the foods we suspect might be irritating him is the best plan aswell so we'll start with parsley and see how bisc gets on. we think basil seems to irritate him aswell. the vet thinks that less variety isn't really an issue because if that's just how it is, then you can't really do much about it if bisc is intolerant to them. lucky he is a very good hay eater.

he also wants to test bisc's urine aswell for anything abnormal. although we have had samples tested before when this has happened and nothing has ever shown, it's worth doing again we think, even though it seems like it's a slight irritation from certain foods but not enough to cause an infection. he said they can get very low grade uti's which clear themselves up. like bisc, he knows to drink alot more water when he needs to flush his own bladder out. he's reluctant to start antibiotics unless they're definitely needed. he thinks bisc is obviously clearing them up himself but we need to stop them happening so much because they are obviously causing some discomfort and could be contributing to the gassy episodes aswell.

he did also say that because all his tests were clear the it may be age related aswell.

so we can get a urine sample from bisc and o/h will take that in and this way bisc doesn't have to travel there and back which might stress him out more.

bisc is ok today. x

thank you.

well... bisc only had coriander and thyme for his tea and he did a wee infront of the litter tray :? i happened to be in the kitchen for a while and when he did one this morning, it was after i had been asleep. so maybe it is behaviour related? :?

i honestly don't know. he's still ok but i want him to be happy again. not just ok.

bisc is seeming brighter today, from this afternoon to now. he's had thyme and coriander again for his tea and i noticed his urine seems clearer today. it has seemed a tad dark for his usual lately.

Oh that was something I'd meant to mention at my vets today and I forgot. :( Mimzy has had more sludgy urine that is very odd smelling and colored. I'm certain it is the parsley he's had lately though.
I am glad to hear Bisc is doing a bit better. I really hope the culprit has been found. :) :love:

Oh that was something I'd meant to mention at my vets today and I forgot. :( Mimzy has had more sludgy urine that is very odd smelling and colored. I'm certain it is the parsley he's had lately though.
I am glad to hear Bisc is doing a bit better. I really hope the culprit has been found. :) :love:

poor mimzy. sounds like the same thing as bisc. it's like a strange smell sometimes but not strong enough to be an infection. hard to explain but kind of stale?? and then the urine is slightly darker than normal aswell.

bisc has had two days now of having just thyme and coriander for his tea and his urine is back to his normal colour. he seemed brighter yesterday but is quite quiet again today. he seems to perk up later on though.

x

just a quick update - bisc has not had any more wee issues so far. he's been off parsley and basil now for about 5 days, maybe 6 and there has been a big difference. he's not once had dark urine, smelly urine or wee'd outside the trays and in himself he hasn't had that uncomfortable look, or been angry and he seems alot brighter.

he's only having coriander and thyme now for fresh foods but in a few days i'm trying basil again to see if he's ok with it but he's never having parsley again now.

i feel terrible that he could have been sensitive to it for a while now. :cry: but at least we have found what seems to have been the problem now.

he's been alot brighter aswell lately. :love:

Great news. :love:

Its trial and error with food sometimes. I have cut out pellets for Cutie-pie as I realised after weeks it was causing her to get a mucky bottom.

You couldn't have known it was parsley or basil.

Great news. :love:

Its trial and error with food sometimes. I have cut out pellets for Cutie-pie as I realised after weeks it was causing her to get a mucky bottom.

You couldn't have known it was parsley or basil.

it suddenly seems so obvious when you realise doesn't it? :roll: i suppose matt must have helped with it and bisc, what with them sharing it usually.

i'm just glad he seems well again now. :love:

Back