• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc is at the vets- test results-u/d-seems ok again

Mimzy has had his bloods come back with these readings before I think. The clotting problem could just be due to how long it takes them to do the test, bunny blood has a habit of clumping if the draw takes too long or comes from an awkward spot and then the hemoglobin sits around for a bit...we've had to test Mimzy a few times to get a proper reading. (At least this is what my vet told me.)
The white cell count sounds familiar too, I think it's only if it's consistently low that we need to worry.
Mimzy has weight issues in that he really wavered up and down for awhile after his tilt. He is now a plump bun again and doing well. Their little metabolisms are so much faster than ours, I am guessing that even if a reading is off it's like the weather...wait five minutes and it'll change. ;)

You are a bit like me I think. You watch your companions carefully and you are keenly aware if something is off and you act on it. No sense being sorry when you can be safe. I think in the case of rabbits that is a good thing to have. I wish I'd been a bit more observant with Mimzy before his tilt, although I did get him many checkups we just didn't see this coming as well as we could have. I look back on older pix of him and think...holy cow, it was right in front of me like a neon sign...how did I not see it?? :(

I do this with Jenna too, though, and my vet gets a bit exasperated with me because it can be nothing but I'll already have been on the web looking up all the symptoms and will arrive at the surgery with a laundry list of worries. Luckily for me, the only time it was very serious was when Jenna had her vasculitits this year, but I had been to a different vet to get her diagnosed at first and it took going back to my original vet to get the problem sussed. Extra stress all round. As a result, her bloods were off the charts for abnormal by the time we had a handle on the problem.

Keep a good eye on Bisc which I know for certain you will, and keep us updated as to how he's doing. I will watch this space for further news. :) But I'm hoping all will be well and it will just take him a while to settle again after all the trials you all have endured lately. ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xxxx

Really sorry I don't know but hope that you get a better answer tomorrow. I don't think it sounds like anything to worry about.

Mimzy has had his bloods come back with these readings before I think. The clotting problem could just be due to how long it takes them to do the test, bunny blood has a habit of clumping if the draw takes too long or comes from an awkward spot and then the hemoglobin sits around for a bit...we've had to test Mimzy a few times to get a proper reading. (At least this is what my vet told me.)
The white cell count sounds familiar too, I think it's only if it's consistently low that we need to worry.
Mimzy has weight issues in that he really wavered up and down for awhile after his tilt. He is now a plump bun again and doing well. Their little metabolisms are so much faster than ours, I am guessing that even if a reading is off it's like the weather...wait five minutes and it'll change. ;)

You are a bit like me I think. You watch your companions carefully and you are keenly aware if something is off and you act on it. No sense being sorry when you can be safe. I think in the case of rabbits that is a good thing to have. I wish I'd been a bit more observant with Mimzy before his tilt, although I did get him many checkups we just didn't see this coming as well as we could have. I look back on older pix of him and think...holy cow, it was right in front of me like a neon sign...how did I not see it?? :(

I do this with Jenna too, though, and my vet gets a bit exasperated with me because it can be nothing but I'll already have been on the web looking up all the symptoms and will arrive at the surgery with a laundry list of worries. Luckily for me, the only time it was very serious was when Jenna had her vasculitits this year, but I had been to a different vet to get her diagnosed at first and it took going back to my original vet to get the problem sussed. Extra stress all round. As a result, her bloods were off the charts for abnormal by the time we had a handle on the problem.

Keep a good eye on Bisc which I know for certain you will, and keep us updated as to how he's doing. I will watch this space for further news. :) But I'm hoping all will be well and it will just take him a while to settle again after all the trials you all have endured lately. ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xxxx

thank you both.

the receptionist read the file and thinks it is something to do with one of the actual tests which is why we can have it repeated for free. so hopefully nothing to worry about and with everything that bisc has been through lately, it's no wonder he's been up and down.

i've decided to give him a couple of weeks to just relax and keep an eye on him in that time, before repeating the bloods. i've decided this because i think he needs time to just relax with no more stress and now the EC and bloods have come back with nothing major going on, i think we can wait a bit before re-testing. he's been snuffly and gassy lately from the stress but today has brightened up again so i'm not going to do anything now, unless he obviously becomes worse. but he's definitely brighter today. :love:

i don't think he would have bonded with another bun this last month since matt went, but now i'm starting to think he is beginning to need bunny company again so after the next bloods are done, we will hopefully begin to think about getting things in place for finding him a new friend. don't want to think too far ahead yet and see how we go but that's the plan so far. :thumb:

Maybe the test was inconclusive which does happen but nothing serious. Sounds like a good plan by leaving it for a few weeks, I am sure if the vet had any concerns he would ask you to go back.

Hope Bisc sneezing calms down. I heard Mr B sneeze but not as bad as the other night. OH is unwell now and he never gets colds. I am sure its the time of year.

Maybe the test was inconclusive which does happen but nothing serious. Sounds like a good plan by leaving it for a few weeks, I am sure if the vet had any concerns he would ask you to go back.

Hope Bisc sneezing calms down. I heard Mr B sneeze but not as bad as the other night. OH is unwell now and he never gets colds. I am sure its the time of year.

i think so aswell because i'm really bunged up aswell. hopefully nebulising will get bisc back on track and we're keeping him warm aswell because if he gets too cold he snuffles more. x

Ah... This is definitely good news to find today! :D Long may it continue!
Sending noserubs to Bisc and hugs for you! xxxx

I hope Bisc is feeling better still. Poor little man :(

Sending lots of love and nose rubs for him xxxxxxx :love::love::love:

bisc has had his best day by far today since we lost matt (5 weeks ago now :cry:) - i'm really relieved and so glad he is happy again.

felt it was time for a bit of a change around in his area (most of the lounge!) so i took down some of the grids, moved things around etc and he was 'helping' and seems happy with the changes. :love:

it seems it was grief and stress making him 'ill' but i'm glad i had the tests done anyway, just incase. would have never forgiven myself if i had put it down to grief and he actually had something more serious going on.

i really can't tell you how pleased i am with how he has been today. :D:love:

he's not happy again :(

he did a wee outside the trays again this morning and got really angry at himself and started scratching and digging at the blanket. he does this when angry.

he's asleep now but doesn't seem right. :(

can low grade uti's come and go? because i though uti ages ago but then it would stop again.

he has had cystitis in the past and has always had a sensitive bladder aswell.

it's only been this wee though and the rest he is ok again.

we are starting to think that he has a sensitive urinary tract, even more so than normal. i stopped feeding him dried dandelion because it obviously made him wee more and he seemed sensitive to it. then the last couple of days he has had more parsley and basil than coriander and again he's not right.

he's always been sensitive with foods aswell. he can't tolerate any veg and he has gassy episodes every so often aswell.

he was worse when i first posted, weeing on the floor everytime for a couple of days, but all his tests were clear.

hopefully it is just a one off. but if not, i guess it's back to the vets again.

other people have mentioned stress and grief so maybe he is starting to get lonely? these last couple of nights, he has been alone because both o/h and i have been asleep through the night, when normally i am up for most of it. so maybe he has realised he is alone? he does keep lying close to us again.

something is 'off' with him and has been for a while on and off. i suppose it could be grief. :( he has been so happy lately though.

actually, he did drink more water yesterday thinking about it.

what am i going to feed him if he keeps becoming sensitive to everything. :( all he has now is pro-fibre pellets, timothy and rye hay, meadow hay, and fresh food he has coriander, thyme, parsley and basil. if i stop the basil and parsley then it will just be two things that are fresh. he eats grass but again if he has too much he can't handle it. :( he has dried herbs aswell which he seems ok with, except now the dandelion and green oat.

the vet gave me some tubes and syringes incase we needed to take a urine sample so maybe i should try doing it that way and taking it to the vets rather than taking bisc there again when it causes him more stress.

i don't really know what to do. :cry:

Last edited:
I hope Biscuit is back to full health very soon.

There is a bunny staying with me at the moment who only gets fed hay and a few SS pellets. She has such a delicate stomach that anything else just goes right through her.:roll:

She has no problems when she sticks to her strict food regime, but she does beg her Mummy for food..........

Back