• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best and Worst Aspects of Having Rabbits ?

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
For me the best is to gain the trust of a species who, by their natural instincts, are programmed not to trust :love: It’s especially rewarding to earn the trust of a Bunny who is exceptional nervous when I first get them :love:

The worst, dealing with an anorexic Rabbit ( oh, the irony in my case ! ). It is off the scale stressful to have a Rabbit who is refusing food for any reason. And of course when having to cope with a loss :cry:

What are your ‘Best’ and ‘Worsts’ ?

For me the best is to gain the trust of a species who, by their natural instincts, are programmed not to trust :love: It’s especially rewarding to earn the trust of a Bunny who is exceptional nervous when I first get them :love:

The worst, dealing with an anorexic Rabbit ( oh, the irony in my case ! ). It is off the scale stressful to have a Rabbit who is refusing food for any reason. And of course when having to cope with a loss :cry:

What are your ‘Best’ and ‘Worsts’ ?
Best I'd have to say the same, really earning their trust is so rewarding and them seeking me out for just affection is so special [emoji7] I also love the way rabbits smell and I can't say that for any other animal [emoji38]

Worst is health, how fragile they are, how hard it is to help them and also the vet panic, there's just not enough exotic vets about :(

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Best I'd have to say the same, really earning their trust is so rewarding and them seeking me out for just affection is so special [emoji7] I also love the way rabbits smell and I can't say that for any other animal [emoji38]

Worst is health, how fragile they are, how hard it is to help them and also the vet panic, there's just not enough exotic vets about :(

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I am dreading my Vet fulling quitting Practicing. Although she isn’t doing consults as such any more she is still part of the Surgery Team and so she can still treat my Rabbits. I really hope things do eventually change with regards to Rabbit Savvy Vets. But I am not holding my breath x

Agree with post of these posts.

With outside bunnies I would add another more minor issue too.

Best is when it's lovely and sunny and I can watch them outstretched enjoying the sunshine. Conversely, worst is when the weather is terrible. When we have gales, I worry that the shed will blow away. When it's torrential rain or bitterly cold, I really don't like having to go outside to care for them.

There are so many wonderful things about rabbits
Holding them and hearing them make the content chittering sound
Watching them do bunny flops that stop my heart until I see movement
Watching a bonded pair interact, grooming each other, sitting side by side
Having them so comfortable with you that they sleep near you
Hearing them eat as I fall asleep
Having them run toward you and stand on their hind legs begging for their favorite food.
The joy when I am able to help an ill bunny back to health.
The relaxing feel as I pet them.
Worst things are:
Bunnies going to the bridge
The worry and sleepless nights when they are ill, especially when the reason is unknown
Not being able to find a good vet on weekends or after hours.
The worry when they need to go to vets for surgery or dental procedures,

Last edited:
The worst thing about bunnies is no matter how well you look after them, give them the best living environment, the best food, the best vet care, love them so much, they can still just die out of the blue.

Best: how interactive they can be as pets, and how they cuddle up together.

Worst: Constant stasis is the worst. One of the most stressful things I've ever experienced. And how destructive house rabbits are! :lol:

Best: just watching them
feeding them - whether its selecting their fave herbs in the supermarket or foraging. I bloody love how grateful they always are to be brought snacks

Worst: getting to their Harrogate vet (or anxieties about not being able to do so)

The best is watching them binky and play together, and snuggle up together :love:
The worst is losing them because they can be so fragile :cry:

Best -to see them coming running to you first thing in the morning for loves and food. Putting their heads down for a fuss and strokes. The way they smell.

Worst-not coming to you in the morning, refusing food, trying to get them to eat after a vet visit, waiting for the call from a vet that they have come through a GA
but they were worth it :love:

Best: the joyful discovery of what an amazing companion a rabbit can be, unlike dogs or cats, very unique and the special calmness they are capable of bringing to one's life in general because of their uniqueness. As a young child I was gifted 3 "Easter bunnies" by a family friend but was far too ignorant at a tender age to be actively caring for them with two working parents who hadn't the time nor inclination to instruct me and so didn't have a clue as to how personable rabbits can be until my beloved Mimzy, Pip and Fiver came into my life as an adult.

Worst: knowing that due to their equally unique health care needs and the difficulty of meeting their medical and daily requirements that I'll never be able to have that relationship again in my lifetime. :cry:

They're just such good company, so playful and loyal. Our two often won't tuck into their morning food until my son has given them a fuss!

Apart from the obvious illness and vet visits I don't appreciate them running around the kitchen during the night, ours were doing it last night you wouldn't think they were nearly 12! They make a right racket :lol:

I don't have any worst bits, I don't find them particularly fragile.

Actually, only thing I don't like is cleaning out the aviary in the rain :lol:

Everything about his is beautiful, I even love his look :love:

The worse side is travel, I normally travel a lot, Cookie pushes me on this :roll:

Destro buns. :lol:. Mr B was the best, he ate wardrobes, cables, Calvin Klein shirt, shoes, leather jacket, books, videos, skirting boards and anything left on the floor but he was the best bunny.:love:

I love having bunnies, there can be times when one of them can get really annoying like for example one might start digging at something in the middle of the night making the loudest possible noise but it doesn't happen often and my bunnies are mostly quiet and sleep when I'm sleeping. I make sure they have plenty of fresh hay and water during the night, sometimes I will give them a treat like a cabbage leaf of a tiny handful of pellet treats.

I like how some bunnies will chew everything in sight and will even try to eat everything not just chew and other bunnies don't and you can leave them in a room without worrying what they will be getting up too and do things like having a cat bed for them to sleep on. You can't do that with all rabbits tho because some will destroy and try to eat it.

I like the way Lucky wags his little fluffy tail when I give him more hay to eat but I don't like the way he runs under my feet while I'm walking because it is very dangerous for him to do that. I'm always very careful, sometimes I will just stand still until Lucky gets done running circles around my feet then carefully walk to get his food.

Lambchop is a right little monster. I love the way he runs about with his air plane ears sticking out from side to side but the minute you sit down he will jump up to where you are sitting to bite you and his bites are hard. I can not sit down when I have him in the room with me. He will even jump up at me while I'm standing to bite me and loves to chase you about. He can jump very high. I sometimes see he runs about with his mouth open ready to bite. I have a feeling that it will take a lot more than a neuter to calm down his biting I'll just have too see. Its a real shame because he is a really nice looking bunny and I have seen the good side of his personality.

Lambchop has his moments when he is genital and you can pet him but I'm careful he don't catch me off guard.

Last edited:
The worst thing about bunnies is no matter how well you look after them, give them the best living environment, the best food, the best vet care, love them so much, they can still just die out of the blue.

This is very true. Very heartbreaking as you know. Hugs.

Back