• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of molar tooth burring

Mapes

New Kit
Hi there, I am looking after a rescue bun (cross breed of possibly dutch or lionhead, approx 2-3years old, probably male, vet wasn't sure). Took him for annual vaccinations yesterday to a main highstreet vet (UK) and during his health check, the vet noticed a lower molar is slightly long (no soreness/redness or infection). I've been quoted £300-400 to have it corrected under GA. Most pet insurance I've looked at doesn't cover teeth trimming/burring. This seems a lot, especially as they've warned me he could need it repeated anywhere between every 3-6 months!! I have only been caring for him for 2 months with no knowledge of his previous medical history. He isn't the biggest hay eater/fussy with hay despite having lots of access but is happily eating everything else. Only sign of a tooth problem is he occasionally grinds his teeth. Do you think I've been over-quoted or is that just the price of it? I want to do what's best for him but as a first time rabbit owner, I'm nervous about committing if at some point I can no longer keep up with the £1.6k potential annual dental fees. Any help/reassurance would be hugely appreciated as feeling a bit lost.

Welcome to RU - I'm glad you found us. I'm pleased you've taken this bun on & are researching how to give him/her the best life.

I'd say the above outlined by your vet is the worst case scenario - yes some bunnies do require very regular dental work but they are in a minority. I've had many a bunny health check where minor dental spurs have been noted but never actually needed treatment. It will need tight monitoring...looking for a change in what he eats (or won't eat) & poop quality. It may be your bun hasn't found the hay of his dreams - obviously important for dental wear & digestive health. grass is good for teeth too if you can get any. What else does he eat?

I think the estimate you got for a dental is high, especially from a vet unable to sex your rabbit. If you can share your geographical option members may have recommendations for you. Its beneficial (though sometimes difficult) to find a vet experienced with rabbits or an exotics vet as they are the ones with a decent amount of rabbit training- regular vets have very little time dedicated to rabbit care on their syllabus

That quote does seem to be very steep. The intervals between dentals can vary a lot - from a few weeks to once a year, ime. It's worth getting it done before there are any other symptoms caused by that tooth. Weight loss and gut stasis are fairly common when a rabbit can't eat properly. Hay / grass is the best option for tooth health. I would look at slowly reducing / removing other things from the diet if they are not contributing to the tough fibres that are needed to keep the teeth worn down.

Is he your rabbit or does he belong to the rescue still? If he belongs to the rescue and you are fostering, they would be responsible for the bill. They would also have their own preferred vets. If the vet you used can't determine the gender of an adult rabbit, I would query how rabbit savvy they are.

Firstly I would strongly advise that you try to find a more Rabbit Savvy Vet. I would not want a Vet who could not determine the sex of a three year old Rabbit to be treating my Rabbit. If you are in the UK there is some advice about how to find a Rabbit Savvy Vet here:

With regards to Dentals, how frequently they might be needed will vary on an individual case basis. Things that can influence when/if further Dentals are required are whether the Dental problem is related to genetics, Rabbits that have flat faces ( brachycephalic) are more prone to developing Dental problems. Diet- Rabbits should have a diet that is at least 85% hay. So if the Rabbit is a poor hay eater we need to consider why. Are we feeding too many pellets for example.

Vet Practices all have their own pricing rates. The amount you have been quoted sounds to be high, but I have heard of people being charged a similar amount.

No insurance company will cover a pre-existing condition ie one that has occurred prior to the policy being taken out.

Thank you so much for your replies. My sister took him on from a rescue centre. Her guinaepigs didn't get on with him very much and she hasn't got the space to keep them separate, so we stepped in to help with the hopes of him being happy here with us. He scoffs down appropriate leafy veg, and rabbit nuggets but ignores the Timothy Hay mix despite presenting it in various ways (inside cardboard tubes/wicker balls, in a feeder etc). He's currently eating a softer hay mixed with herbs as of this afternoon, so that's promising!! We are in Cardiff in the UK. I have looked up rabbit savvy vets on the rabbit welfare website today so will get in touch with them asap. He's an incredibly friendly and chilled out bun, so hate the thought of him being in pain! Will get a second opinion as need to trust the vet will do a good job (I had a chincilla die under GA when I was younger so I'm a bit wary unless it's necessary and would like the vet to be confident with rabbits!). Thanks again for your replies x

Thank you so much for your replies. My sister took him on from a rescue centre. Her guinaepigs didn't get on with him very much and she hasn't got the space to keep them separate, so we stepped in to help with the hopes of him being happy here with us. He scoffs down appropriate leafy veg, and rabbit nuggets but ignores the Timothy Hay mix despite presenting it in various ways (inside cardboard tubes/wicker balls, in a feeder etc). He's currently eating a softer hay mixed with herbs as of this afternoon, so that's promising!! We are in Cardiff in the UK. I have looked up rabbit savvy vets on the rabbit welfare website today so will get in touch with them asap. He's an incredibly friendly and chilled out bun, so hate the thought of him being in pain! Will get a second opinion as need to trust the vet will do a good job (I had a chincilla die under GA when I was younger so I'm a bit wary unless it's necessary and would like the vet to be confident with rabbits!). Thanks again for your replies x

Rabbits and Guinea Pigs should not be kept together, so it’s just as well that you now have the Rabbit😀. Not only is there a risk that the Rabbit might accidentally injure the Guinea Pigs, the two species also have different ways of communicating.Also, Rabbits carry a bacteria in their nasal passages (Bordetella) which might not cause clinical disease in the Rabbit if it were to be passed on to a Guinea Pig it could be very serious, it can cause fatal pneumonia.Rabbits need a companion of their own kind 😀

I would suggest you bookmark this site as there is a vast amount of information relating to the care of Rabbits

Rabbits and Guinea Pigs should not be kept together, so it’s just as well that you now have the Rabbit😀. Not only is there a risk that the Rabbit might accidentally injure the Guinea Pigs, the two species also have different ways of communicating.Also, Rabbits carry a bacteria in their nasal passages (Bordetella) which might not cause clinical disease in the Rabbit if it were to be passed on to a Guinea Pig it could be very serious, it can cause fatal pneumonia.Rabbits need a companion of their own kind 😀

I would suggest you bookmark this site as there is a vast amount of information relating to the care of Rabbits

Amazing thank you! Yes, I think they all made it very clear to each other and to my sister that they were not going to put up with each other! Thoroughly enjoying learning more about rabbits, he has such a character already!

Back