• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunnies

Sorry to hear that two of them didn't make it :cry:
Sending lots of snuggles to the other three.

sorry to hear the sad news Tamsin :( not easy rearing baby buns from what has been written before :( love the pictures, they look well mischievious 8)

Unfortunately number three just died on the way to the vets. The vet checked the other two over and they got a clean bill of health for the moment.

Tam

Aw very sorry to hear Tamsin. Sounds like they have you on your toes! Keep up the hard work.

Sending lots of good vibes for the other two buns. I have everything crossed.

The pics were adorable. :love:

Why didnt the other 3 make it? Is it a problem with hand rearing? Or would this happen naturally in the wild?
Will the wild kits be more skittish than pet buns?

Ditzy said:
Why didnt the other 3 make it? Is it a problem with hand rearing? Or would this happen naturally in the wild?
Will the wild kits be more skittish than pet buns?

Handrearing is no where near as good as a bunny mum so although a doe might occationally loose one handrearing seems to have quite a high mortality rate :(

If these two make it I'll let you know on the last question. I haven't had pet babies before either so I'm not sure whether they'd be as bouncy or not as these are. They jump around their cage very lively. They also climb the bars if they see me stood infront :shock:

Oh No! I`m so sorry you`ve lost the 3rd one Tamsin :cry: :cry:

Sending buckets loads of vibes that the remaining 2 make it.....................

su.x

Oh Tam, I cannot believe a third baby has died, I am so very sorry :( :( :( :(
We are rooting for the remaining two babies.
Thinking of you.
best wishes

Hand rearing from very young is often not too successful :( - milk substitute (i.e. Cimicat) isn't as rich as rabbit milk, so they have to take in more to get the same nutrients, which puts a great strain on their liver and leads to complications. Plus it doesn't have the same vitamin content etc. as mum's milk. Having said that, sometimes they do defy all the odds.

Fingers crossed the remaining babies continue to rock on :)

hehe, our little snowdrop jumps and climbs up the bars. Its very sweet.

How are they doing today? I stil have everything crossed.

More pix??

Unfortunately baby number 4 passed away last night :sad:

Here is him and the last bun the day before:

bunny19_1.jpg

bunny19_2.jpg

bunny19_3.jpg

Oh no Tam :-(

Was it Mr Only 9ml Milk ?

I really hope the last Bun will make it.

Janex

Yes :( The last one is still drinking well but I'm not being to hopeful. If it's a bug then the odds of him not having it are pretty slim :(

He's soo friendly too, he climbs your arms when you put a hand in and comes rushing to see anyone near the cage. I gave him a teddy to snuggle to.

Back