• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding adult and baby bunnies?

astera

New Kit
Hi,

I have a one year old netherland dwarf boy, neutered, and have reserved two baby mini lop girls to collect in September.

My goal is to bond them straight away (wish me luck) but my question is, how do I cater to their different dietry requirements while they are together?

How do I make sure the girls have unlimited alfalfa while my adult only has timothy, and how I do make sure the girls have unlimited pellets while he only has a small amount per day? Anyone got any ideas?

This is of course assuming Im successful with bonding them and they live together.

Any advice much appreciated!

How old will the girls be when you collect them? Do you intend to quarantine them before introducing them to your boy?

How old will the girls be when you collect them? Do you intend to quarantine them before introducing them to your boy?

The girls will be about 10 weeks old, should I be quarantining them? I didnt know its something I should be doing

It's always good practice to isolate newbies for a couple of weeks. It gives them time to settle in to their new surroundings and routine, and to get their vaccinations sorted. You will also get to know what their usual habits are, and you can check they are eating properly (ie poo checks). They will be then in a less stressful position to start bonding.

It's always good practice to isolate newbies for a couple of weeks. It gives them time to settle in to their new surroundings and routine, and to get their vaccinations sorted. You will also get to know what their usual habits are, and you can check they are eating properly (ie poo checks). They will be then in a less stressful position to start bonding.

I agree with this advice. Can you get the Breeder to have the girls vaccinated BEFORE you collect them. You will if course have to pay for this. The Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus can be given from 5 weeks of age.

Even if vaccinated the does will still need to be quarantined at first.

I would get the genders of the kits confirmed by a Vet. Unfortunately people are often sold two Rabbits who are meant to be the same sex but get mis gendered by the breeder.

Even if you manage to bond the does (hopefully does) with your buck at first, once the girls hit puberty things can change overnight. Hormones kick in and the ‘baby bond’ can break down. Two entire Does can fall out big time when they hit puberty.Some people prefer not to attempt bonding until 6 weeks after all Rabbits are neutered/spayed. I have not always done this when bonding just one baby Doe with a neutered buck. I have managed to bond a baby doe to a neutered buck and keep them together, having the doe spayed when she’s 5 months of age (as long as she weighs at least 1kg. I leave spaying giant breeds until 8 months as they mature more slowly) I don’t think I would bond two baby does with a neutered buck until 6 weeks after the does have been spayed. If they were to fight prior to spaying chances are a trio bond will never work out, even after spaying.

It won’t harm the buck to have some alfalfa hay for the limited time that the does will need it as long as he does not have a history of bladder sludge and he is not already overweight. You will need to keep the babies on the same pellet feed the breeder has used.After a week and if all is well with their guts then you can slowly start to change them over to the pellet feed you intend to give them, if it’s different to the one they are already having.

Putting off the bonding until 6 weeks after the does are spayed will mean there won’t really be as much of a problem with feeding different food types.

Ask the breeder if the babies are used to having fresh veg and herbs too. If baby Rabbits have fresh food whilst still with their Mum it’s fine to continue to feed it to them. But if they have never had fresh food then it’s best not to introduce it until they are 10-12 weeks of age. I would not introduce fresh food or any new food as soon as you buy the kits, leave doing that for a couple of weeks to minimise the risk of GI tract upsets.

There is a lot of advice about Rabbit care, including diet and bonding, on the RWAF website

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back