• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunnies

OMG look at the one on the bottom left of that picture! :D

They are so gorgeous. I know its not the ideal situation at all but what a priveledge to help these babies grow into strong and healthy bunnies.

I think I'm getting slower, two hours this morning :lol: They seem to drop off after the first 1ml and then don't want much more :?

I found a petshop with a bottle feeding kit instock so I'll give that a go this afternoon.

They are so gorgeous. I know its not the ideal situation at all but what a priveledge to help these babies grow into strong and healthy bunnies.

Yep, very much so. I just hope they make it, they're so tiny at the moment. It's amazing to think in 6 weeks time they could look like a rabbit!

Tam

we lost the new one brought to us last night Tamsin :cry:

i do hope these with you make it ...good luck :?

these little scraps . so helpless .

its so easy to get attached to them soooo quickly .

Angie

bunnymadhouse said:
we lost the new one brought to us last night Tamsin :cry:

I'm so sorry :( they're so tiny and sweet you get attached straight away. I think they have different characters already.

they look so sweet

I even thought about going to the petshop to get all the bits just in case I ever got lucky and got to hand rear baby bunnies :oops:

The biggest one has one eye open today :love: so I'm going to guess today as 10 days old.

They've lost a little weight in the last 24 hours, is that normal while the settle down or am I just not getting enough feed into them? They had about 2ml each this morning. They're getting better at licking the syringe.

They're very active, they keep grunting and jumping at me.

Tam

Are you keeping them with any hay or readigrass? They will soon start to nibble. I used a Sherleys feeding bottle when I was hand-rearing some orphaned babies and that worked well.

loulouembers said:
Are you keeping them with any hay or readigrass? They will soon start to nibble. I used a Sherleys feeding bottle when I was hand-rearing some orphaned babies and that worked well.

The pictures in the 'done box' after feeding. The builders saved the mums fur nest so they're in that in a cat carrier with another towel. I'll add some hay though ready for when they start nibbling.

I got a feed bottle (I think it was shirley's) I found it a bit difficult to judge how much was going in though, I think it might work better when they are a little bit bigger :?

Good luck with them, keep an eye on their eyes :wink: They should all open around the same time, if any have only one or neither open when the others have both open then you will need to bathe them gently with cooled boiled water and an earbud to stop any infections.

Louisa

Thanks for the tip :thumb: Two now have both eyes open, one doesn't have either and two are half way.

Their eyes look kinda of blurry/glassy - is that normal? Not infected or anything just not as bright and clear as an adult rabbit.

Tam

Tamsin said:
sleepy.jpg

how cute is that little one with its bottom right up in the air and s/he is sleeping on its chin almost :lol: awwww

looks like you are doing a great job and they look very content (sorry i cant offer any advice)

Its hard because we dont know how old they are. If two have their eyes fully open I would personally bathe the others in the morning and gently help them open otherwise infection can build behind the eye

Louisa

Tamsin said:
Their eyes look kinda of blurry/glassy - is that normal? Not infected or anything just not as bright and clear as an adult rabbit.

This is quite normal for them to look like this. I suppose normally they would still be underground, so they would not be used to the light? 8)

It is usual for them to lose a few grams in the first 24hrs, as the replacement milk is obviously not as nutritious as mums milk. How much do they weigh - about 100g ish? And how often are you feeding them?
I usually aim for 6-10mls, 4 times a day as this age, depending on how well they are feeding.

Good luck with them :)

jbun1 said:
This is quite normal for them to look like this. I suppose normally they would still be underground, so they would not be used to the light? 8)

Phew, that's good. Yes, I guess they wouldn't need to see anything for a week or so until they would start venturing out.

jbun1 said:
It is usual for them to lose a few grams in the first 24hrs, as the replacement milk is obviously not as nutritious as mums milk. How much do they weigh - about 100g ish? And how often are you feeding them?
I usually aim for 6-10mls, 4 times a day as this age, depending on how well they are feeding.

They all weighed between 85-105g Friday morning and they'd dropped to between 80-100g Saturday morning. The scales only work to 5g so not that accurate.

I'm feeding three times. They didn't seem to eat as much if the feed was too close together. I'll see how they eat tommorow morning and then try and extra feed late night. They had about 2.5ml last feed Saturday so hopefully it will up as they get used to the different milk and I get the hang of feeding :)

jbun1 said:
Good luck with them :)

Thanks!

They all have their eyes open today and they took 3-5ml each. They didn't gain any weight over night but they haven't lost any either :)

Back