• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby bunnies with sticky bottoms

Winty

New Kit
We very recently (last week) adopted 3 adorable little baby bunnies from a co-worker of my husband. The babies are around 8 weeks old now and were living with their mother until the time we picked them up.

They all seem to be eating and drinking well, and pooing/peeing regularly. The only problem I've noticed is that they're either producing too much of, or not eating their sticky poo as I've found much of it in the cage every morning when I clean it out. I know it's at least one of them that is having the problem, possibly two. I'm also not sure if this is a new problem or a continuing one, as these bunnies were left in the care of their mother before they came home to us.

Their diet currently is unlimited hay, muesli type of baby rabbit feed (Russel Junior) and water. They also have a calcium block that they can nibble/lick (and that all 3 go at from time to time). They do seem to have a problem with selective eating and I'm looking to switch them to a different type of food and would appreciate some feedback there as well. I've looked into Burgess Excel Junior & Dwarf and Wagg Optimum. They seem rather comparable from the nutritional info though the Excel has a higher protein content.

Everything I've read about on sticky bottom says that the most likely cause is a diet too high in pellets and not enough hay and as such that the bunnies should be restricted to the pellets, however I've also read that at their age the bunnies should be given unlimited access to pellets as they still need the extra protein and calcium to develop their little bodies.

The 1 out of 3 bunnies that I'm sure doesn't have this problem is the one I always see eating lots of hay, though I do see the others eating it too. And in addition to their development, I'm concerned about limiting the pellets since I don't want to upset the balance for the one that doesn't have a sticky bottom.

I'm not sure if I should take them to the vet at this time as they seem otherwise healthy and happy. I don't want to stress them out any more after just having left their mothers and adapting to a new home, but having read stuff about flystrike and that there could be underlying problems to the sticky bottom, I am a bit concerned.

Some background and living arrangement info: They were housed in a small hutch outside from when they were born (in January) until we brought them home. In their previous home, they didn't seem to have access to hay all that readily and were given pellets and veggies (mostly corn on the cob).

Now, they're indoors in a cage (100cmx55cmx55cm) and we will be getting them a large hutch and run when they're a little older and larger.

After some considerable hours of researching, I'm not quite sure if the owner of the bunnies mother is the best person to ask for advice as some of the things I've read seem to point that while she may have her heart in the right place, she may not know the most about bunny care.

Any information/help is much appreciated. And please excuse the long post, I wanted to make sure I included all the relevant information I could think about.

Bunnies that young with messy bums need to see a vet asap as it could be something far more serious than diet related.

i agree with amy, i think a trip to the vets will be a very good idea, it may not be diet related. A vet will be able to examine them and maybe take tests which will give you a better idea of what may be going wrong xx

Thanks for the replies.

On a very positive note, when I cleaned their cage this morning, there were 2 tiny spots of sticky poo and otherwise all clear. There were also no new mess on their bottoms when I checked while moving them to their indoor run (I have a 150cm diameter run set up for them indoors for when I need to clean their cage and also for some excercise for them).

I'm going to give it one more day and if it's not completely clear by tomorrow or if I see it get worse during the day today I'm going to take them to the vet immediately. Currently, they're all eating/drinking and pooing/peeing normally! :D They're extremely active in their run and and by all other accounts very happy and healthy.

Back