• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

Thanks everyone for thinking of him xx

He's eaten some banana and hay, and has had a drink so ima stop fluids for a bit now. He's snuggling with Clementine now, but he's started to pass some nasty stuff, his butt is a mess :( he'll need a bath, but it'll have to wait. I just hope he keeps nibbling and passing stuff. He's still sucking in his sides which always happens when he's like this, I'm not really sure what it means tho.

i wonder if his sides are sucked in as a result of spasms in his GI tract? Good to hear he is doing better & getting loves from Clementine. Its so good you persisted with getting them rebonded, it must be a huge comfort to him when he's having his poorly episodes

Bless him :cry: you are doing the best you can for him. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

i wonder if his sides are sucked in as a result of spasms in his GI tract? Good to hear he is doing better & getting loves from Clementine. Its so good you persisted with getting them rebonded, it must be a huge comfort to him when he's having his poorly episodes

I was just thinking the same. Frosty used to spasm after gut meds post dental and it was similar.

Yea maybe, it always happens. The reason I noticed he was unwell was I walked past and his sides looked different, I just knew immediately, then I offered food and he didn't want any which confirmed it. Yea I think she does help him tbh, they're a funny pair they do love each other but they aren't the most affectionate always. I was too worried earlier so I didn't mention it, but earlier whilst I was walking towards Atticus to give him meds, Clementine bit my pj bottoms and was like tugging on them like a dog [emoji38][emoji38] Michael was in fits, it was like she was trying to keep me away from Atticus [emoji38][emoji38] she's very protective of him when he's unwell.

Bless him :cry: you are doing the best you can for him. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Thanks Zoobec, I think if he recovers we're gunna have to see what we can do again for him because this doesn't seem sustainable anymore xx

Poo Atticus :( We're giving Lopsy oats (plain porridge oats, not with oat flour etc.) because we've got them in, and they're working, but I REALLY don't want to do it longterm, just to put weight on him not maintain it. He gets it with banana and pellet dust and that seems to be working, he's more round and I can't see his spine poking out of his back. But Lopsy's faaaar more normal than Atticus guts-wise. But I also get the 'how can we go on' because we were there a few weeks ago when he was in and out of the vets and not putting weight on, but still just as daft and happy as ever. And we've turned that corner, although we have no idea if what's wrong with Lopsy is causing his weight loss/lack of gain or what.

Thankyou everyone for the pumpkin talk, I am interested in that.

I hope you can sort something out for him xxx

Just a cautionary note about oats, they are high in phosphorous which i think is a bigger deal if they have renal issues.

FHB says this on her site
Rolled oats are often found in muesli mixes. Like all the other cereals, they are deficient in calcium with an inverse calcium to phosphorus ratio. They are high in starch so rabbits that pick oats from the muesli mix are prone to dental disease and obesity.

Obv Atticus isn't much at risk of dental disease on account of Rexiness & massive hay troughing & the weight gain is obv what you're after but maybe if you did decide to feed it would be worth making the decision after his blood work

Thanks for mentioning these things, I'll definitely be discussing with my vet, I'm just kinda at the point where I'm like does it matter if it's not the perfect bunny diet, if it's better than this? But definitely needs some thought and consideration and repeat bloods etc, I almost hope something shows up this time, that maybe we can help or do something with? Idk.

Update for now - he's just produced a whole day's worth of unwellness in the space of 30 mins.. So the meds have worked.. [emoji38] He's eating hay and I've stopped fluids completely now, I was gunna give some more before I went to bed but I don't think he needs them honestly, was also gunna do a syringe feed but he's eating hay so not gunna interfere! He did enjoy the banana and apple flavour cc though earlier. I'm not gunna do anymore meds til the morning I don't think, technically he could have painkillers again in a couple of hours, ima set an alarm for then incase he needs them, if not I'll see in the morning if he needs anything. I'm hoping he'll pass everything and just keep eating and it'll be okay though. Ima sleep downstairs with him tonight, hopefully nothing crazy happens, he seems much happier in himself already which is so nice to see :)

Thanks everyone for the vibes xx

Well done Graciee. You are so good at noticing the details when he is unwell so he gets prompt treatment. He is such a tough bunny. Sending more vibes.

Thanks everyone :) he's still eating and has been okay overnight, seems way more comfortable tbh. But there's been no more output, not sure if I should be worried about that or not really, I mean he produced a load about 1 am. Think I'll give some more meds on an hour or so if still nothing, probably just the gut ones too keep things moving. But he's not in visible pain now or doing his uncomfortable shifting and kicking out he always does anymore so I know he feels a lot better :) he really is a tough bunny! x

Eta, his sides are still sucked in tho :(

Last edited:
Really pleased that he seems to be doing better overnight and this morning, sending loads more vibes for your boy xxx

I'm so glad to hear that his meds have worked and he got all that unwellness out, and that he's eating and seems more comfortable and happy. That's such good news. :love: I'm sorry he hasn't had any output in a while, though, and that he's still sucking in his sides. :( I don't have any advice about that, but I do want to send Atticus lots and lots more vibes. Both you and he are doing such a great job getting him through this.

Thanks everyone :) he's still eating and has been okay overnight, seems way more comfortable tbh. But there's been no more output, not sure if I should be worried about that or not really, I mean he produced a load about 1 am. Think I'll give some more meds on an hour or so if still nothing, probably just the gut ones too keep things moving. But he's not in visible pain now or doing his uncomfortable shifting and kicking out he always does anymore so I know he feels a lot better :) he really is a tough bunny! x

Eta, his sides are still sucked in tho :(
Glad he is more comfortable. It is hard to know if he needs time for food to move through his gi system or if it slowed down again. Continuing gut meds sounds good to me.
Sending vibes.

I can't help because I don't have any information, sorry. I wish I could help. All I can do is send a lot of vibrations xxxx :|

Back