• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus bites :(

The length of the needle can also be an issue as much as the width. I think it’s a corticosteroid he’s on isn’t it, rather than an anabolic one ? When I initially mentioned steroids to try to help him maintain his weight I did actually mean ANABOLIC steroids. The problem now is if he is on a CORTICOsteroid this will have a negative effect on wound healing too. Personally I would actually ask William about stopping the CORTICOsteroid. If he losses weight I would only want to try an ANABOLIC steroid.

I would actually try to get him seen ASAP, as an open wound will be a big risk for him due to the corticosteroid. Systemic infection is a possibility as corticosteroids have a negative effect on the immune system. William might want to get him on an abx.

Nerve damage, if that is what’s going on, it might not be, can take months to resolve. Depending on severity medication might be needed to address the neuropathy eg Gabapentin.

Needle length the same so gawd knows what I've done!

I've run out of needles last night so I'll call the vets and ask about stopping it and about the anabolic steroid thanks for the info. I'm wondering if William will suggest stopping it and seeing. Who knows I'll see what he says anyway!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Thinking of you Gracie. I think I would discuss with William in view of the latest developments with Atticus.
Thanks Omi, yea definitely. My poor Atticus. I'm thankful he's well in himself and happy at least, and the wounds look like they're healing nicely actually, so that's something at least

Its good to hear his wounds are healing well but what a frustrating & upsetting situation :( If it were nerve damage would he not have reacted quite badly (pain response) when the incident happened? I hope William can help

Its good to hear his wounds are healing well but what a frustrating & upsetting situation :( If it were nerve damage would he not have reacted quite badly (pain response) when the incident happened? I hope William can help

I'm not sure tbh :( when I give him his injections he's just eating oats and never reacts badly, it's like he doesn't even notice it's happened.. But doesn't mean I've not hurt him. It's all a bit of a muddle tbh, camera hasn't shown up any more incidents yet either. Yes I hope William can help, altho Idk if we'll really know what happened, might be more of a case of just stopping these injections and switching to something else, I'm not sure.

Oh I'm sorry, that's sad :( Witnessed on the camera presumably?
Yep :( she was grooming it then I saw her nibble and then he ran :(

I'ma still talk to William about it though, need to make sure Atticus isn't in pain and also see if we need to stop now. I won't seperate them rn, it's weird they're grooming each others faces now. I wonder if she senses something. They fell out before because one of them was unwell.. Idk what it is, but they seem to get weird when one of them is sick

I wonder if maybe it's that she can smell the steroid? Sounds daft I know, but it could be something like that, or just that she senses that there is something different about him in that general area, because of the injections.

I think it would be worthwhile discussing with William. Perhaps you could stop the steroid until after his wounds have all healed and then re-assess. By then you will also know whether he is maintaining weight on his additional foods alone. It would give you some breathing space to decide on a new plan, rather than make any hasty decisions.

I agree and I wouldn't separate them immediately, but if you can I would leave the camera in situ.

I wonder if maybe it's that she can smell the steroid? Sounds daft I know, but it could be something like that, or just that she senses that there is something different about him in that general area, because of the injections.

I think it would be worthwhile discussing with William. Perhaps you could stop the steroid until after his wounds have all healed and then re-assess. By then you will also know whether he is maintaining weight on his additional foods alone. It would give you some breathing space to decide on a new plan, rather than make any hasty decisions.

I agree and I wouldn't separate them immediately, but if you can I would leave the camera in situ.

Yea could be something like that, I think it's possible tbh. Yea definitely, I asked him when I got more if we should continue and he said we shouldn't stop giving it. He seems to think it's something he should stay on, rather than ever coming off it. (prior to this tho ofc)

Oh yea camera is staying, we just bought an extra indoor camera so it can stay there for as long as needed. I'm just going to keep an eye on them and get him seen and discussed.

Sounds silly but I was really hoping it would be my **** up and not her doing this to him :/

Even if it is Clementine it doesn’t sound to be an aggressive act, more one of her being attracted to the site and being too vigorous with grooming it. Like when one Rabbit will Barbour their partner to the point of making them bald and sore.

It’s still a worry though as the wound won’t heal if she won’t leave it alone. And if he lets her do it then whilst this could avoid an actual fight it will still mean that the wound already there remains open. Unfortunately I think a temporary separation might be the only solution. But I completely understand why you are reluctant to do that given how hard it would be to ever get them back together.

Personally I would want to stop the corticosteroid

You might have more evidence from the camera overnight, but I had some more thoughts on this last night.

I thought about how you described what you saw on the camera from Clementine's behaviour. I don't think from that one episode that you can discount the possibility that Atticus actually caused the wounds in the first place and Clementine's grooming and nibbling is just that. This would certainly not be ideal because of healing issues, but it would be more reassuring than if Clementine was biting. My thinking is that if she had caused wound one and wound two, why would she then not cause a wound three, rather than return to an existing wound?

It would be better to have had more camera footage before speaking to William, but I think I would want to discuss what to do with the steroid.

You might have more evidence from the camera overnight, but I had some more thoughts on this last night.

I thought about how you described what you saw on the camera from Clementine's behaviour. I don't think from that one episode that you can discount the possibility that Atticus actually caused the wounds in the first place and Clementine's grooming and nibbling is just that. This would certainly not be ideal because of healing issues, but it would be more reassuring than if Clementine was biting. My thinking is that if she had caused wound one and wound two, why would she then not cause a wound three, rather than return to an existing wound?

It would be better to have had more camera footage before speaking to William, but I think I would want to discuss what to do with the steroid.

My thoughts exactly. It is very common for a Rabbit to be attracted to and to ‘mess with’ an open wound on another Rabbit.

Sorry I should've been clearer last night I was super tired, so I saw it and then went and investigated his back and found a fresh bite :(

But ima discuss it all with William. He's not there today but the other exotic vet is gunna advise about today's steroid then I talk to William tomorrow further about it etc.

Just so I've got this right for tomorrow, an anabolic steroid wouldnt suppress his immune system like the current one does?

Sorry I should've been clearer last night I was super tired, so I saw it and then went and investigated his back and found a fresh bite :(

But ima discuss it all with William. He's not there today but the other exotic vet is gunna advise about today's steroid then I talk to William tomorrow further about it etc.

Just so I've got this right for tomorrow, an anabolic steroid wouldnt suppress his immune system like the current one does?

ANABOLIC steroids apparently do not have as much of a negative effect on the immune system, but they do have some impact.

Personally I would want to wait until his open wounds have all healed before trying an ANABOLIC steroid.The one I have had experience using for Rabbits is Nandrolone.

ANABOLIC steroids apparently do not have as much of a negative effect on the immune system, but they do have some impact.

Personally I would want to wait until his open wounds have all healed before trying an ANABOLIC steroid.The one I have had experience using for Rabbits is Nandrolone.

Okay thank you for the info Jane :) I'll discuss with William tomorrow, hopefully we can come to a solution for him. Apart for the new bite the previous two don't look too bad to me now. He isn't regrowing fur though, they shaved him 8 weeks ago now and he is still totally bald in the areas they shaved. Idk what that signifies tho.

Okay thank you for the info Jane :) I'll discuss with William tomorrow, hopefully we can come to a solution for him. Apart for the new bite the previous two don't look too bad to me now. He isn't regrowing fur though, they shaved him 8 weeks ago now and he is still totally bald in the areas they shaved. Idk what that signifies tho.

I don't think it signifies anything other than he's not in a fur growth stage atm - thats not based on knowledge but my own observations. Boo's ear was shaved for her bloods begining of March & its not grown back at all. When we adopted her she'd been spayed a couple of months & had no fur regrowth on tummy after all that time. Could be BS of course . If only you could get Clementine to explain why she's doing it life would be so much easier. I'll be really interested to see what William says about the steroids. If he wanted to keep atticus on the non anabolic steroids maybe it would be worth discussing switching him to tablet form (that my Ralph was on) to rule out any possibility of Clementine taking issue with the fact Atticus is being injected. Your lucky to have William at least

IME fur regrowth after shaving can be affected if the overall health of the Rabbit is compromised eg a Rabbit with chronic disease. It is also affected by the normal seasonal differences in fur growth rates. I wouldn’t be overly concerned by slow fur regrowth as long as the wounds fully heal. That is definitely the most important thing.

Back