• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus bites :(

Graciee

Staff member
Just given him his injection, found two more bites. I've not been home much the last few days, but Michael hasn't seen any fighting and they're laying together now grooming.. And food nomming seems okay.. Idk why she's doing this to him. Should I seperate them? :( they'll never get back together again if I do though. But I can't keep letting this happen to him. Maybe she senses he's unwell? Idek

Any advice would be great :(
fcf84fb21d10e583d093cb260182091d.jpg
71d6b5872aebc90a250823daf2e5a2d8.jpg
39b8e2f6dddafd67293bf72161af2529.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Just given him his injection, found two more bites. I've not been home much the last few days, but Michael hasn't seen any fighting and they're laying together now grooming.. And food nomming seems okay.. Idk why she's doing this to him. Should I seperate them? :( they'll never get back together again if I do though. But I can't keep letting this happen to him. Maybe she senses he's unwell? Idek

Any advice would be great :(
fcf84fb21d10e583d093cb260182091d.jpg
71d6b5872aebc90a250823daf2e5a2d8.jpg
39b8e2f6dddafd67293bf72161af2529.jpg

Are you sure he’s not biting himself ? From the pics the lesions look to be an area he could reach. He might have some sort of neuropathic pain :?

Are you sure he’s not biting himself ? From the pics the lesions look to be an area he could reach. He might have some sort of neuropathic pain :?
They're right on his spine, I'm not too sure if he could reach? It's so hard to know what's going on. I can get him booked in with William but it's all a guessing game. Wish I could find out what's going on :(

He's so happy and springy too :(

I would expect there to be some clumps of fur if there had been any sort of fight.
Is there any chance that he's been caught on / by something else?

I would expect there to be some clumps of fur if there had been any sort of fight.
Is there any chance that he's been caught on / by something else?

Yea I've not seen any. Not that I can see tbh, I'm really confused. I might have to plug a camera in to watch them and then rewatch the footage or something coz I just can't see what's going on :/

I think a camera is a good idea so you can see if you can get to the bottom of it. Sending lots of vibes xx

They're right on his spine, I'm not too sure if he could reach? It's so hard to know what's going on. I can get him booked in with William but it's all a guessing game. Wish I could find out what's going on :(

He's so happy and springy too :(

I have known Rabbits who were easily able to get to the mid to lower part of their spine. It might be that the injection site is the actual source of the discomfort, but he can’t reach that far up but still chews at the area as close to to source as possible. And of course if the irritation is neuropathic it can be a referred type of discomfort, the source being in one area but he feels it in another, if you see what I mean. I agree that setting up a camera would be a good idea as it would be a shame to split them up if there isn’t a need to do so.

I too would use a camera to try to find out what's going on. We have a camera set up in both the rabbits' and the chickens' accommodation, which we archive for 24 hours, so that we can look back at it if there are any issues. I wouldn't separate them if I didn't have evidence that Clementine was doing the biting. I think I would try the camera first, before asking William too, as it's likely to provide the answer.

It's a shame that it's happening, especially if he's happy and springy :(

Hop you get to the bottom of this Graciee. I don't think it's a bite (from a Rabbit) even when they mount and pull fur I've never seen this.

I wonder if it is a sterile abscess, ulcer or burn? There seems to be missing skin and fur in the center.

If it is from injections, the wounds may not be visible until a piece of dead dried skin with fur falls off making the underlying wound visible.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, yea I'll set a camera up. So it could be referred discomfort but definitely not actually where I'm injecting it because I don't inject it anywhere near there. Poor boy I feel so bad for him :( it was going well for so long, I wonder what's changed it this is it :(

Clementine is grooming the area I've noticed, which won't be helping

Clementine is grooming the area I've noticed, which won't be helping

I honestly think it’s likely to be a self inflicted wound and of course if Clementine is also licking it it will make healing more difficult. If, when giving the steroid injection, a nerve was accidentally hit then it can lead to referred neuropathy. So he might feel discomfort/irritation but not exactly where the needle went in. Also, sometimes a Rabbit will chew as near to an area that is bothering them as possible even if they can’t reach the exact spot. It’s really tricky when the companion won’t leave the wound alone, I know. And there isn’t much you can do to prevent that other than to either be with them 24/7 (not a realistic option) or separating them. Of course the latter is tha last thing you’d want to do. Gah, why are Rabbits so complicated ! Even putting something like bitter apple spray around the sore area is likely to do more harm than good.

It looks like some kind of skin disease or mite infestation but I guess that has been ruled out already?

I honestly think it’s likely to be a self inflicted wound and of course if Clementine is also licking it it will make healing more difficult. If, when giving the steroid injection, a nerve was accidentally hit then it can lead to referred neuropathy. So he might feel discomfort/irritation but not exactly where the needle went in. Also, sometimes a Rabbit will chew as near to an area that is bothering them as possible even if they can’t reach the exact spot. It’s really tricky when the companion won’t leave the wound alone, I know. And there isn’t much you can do to prevent that other than to either be with them 24/7 (not a realistic option) or separating them. Of course the latter is tha last thing you’d want to do. Gah, why are Rabbits so complicated ! Even putting something like bitter apple spray around the sore area is likely to do more harm than good.

Yea rabbits make you wanna scream sometimes [emoji38] they just make keeping them alive so hard sometimes [emoji38]

Yea, you reckon I've messed up giving the injections? The only thing that's changed is I'm now using a smaller blue needle, this time that's what they gave, last time it was a bag of green ones. I'm wondering if I'm messing it up some how.. I definitely don't do it where the bites are tho coz that's right on hose spine, I tend to do them around the scruff area or to the sides of it. But maybe I'm messing up giving it and it's causing him discomfort somehow. So hard to know. Getting this to heal is gunna be hard with Clementine grooming it, even if we can figure out what's causing the issue.. It's just so weird.. It must have been 5 weeks of giving it at least with the green needles no issues.. And 2 weeks of these and now issues. New tube of steroids too. Maybe I've hit a nerve, if I have how long would he be in pain for do you think?

Wish he could tell me [emoji38]

It looks like some kind of skin disease or mite infestation but I guess that has been ruled out already?
No it hasn't! But they look like rabbit teeth bites [emoji51] I've had a few rabbits have mites before and it's not looked like this, but I will take him to the vet soonish, I'm just trying to work out what's causing them atm by having a camera on him 24/7 [emoji38]

I do not think it is anything you did wrong, though as Jane said needle may have been longer than required for sub q making it easier to inject it deeper than sub q.
I Wonder if a liquid bandage product would help, or if it would trap germs in the wounds?
Vet may have something too.
Is new tube of steroids exact same formula as last one? Even if same active ingredient and concentration, he could be having reaction to other components.

Last edited:
Yea rabbits make you wanna scream sometimes [emoji38] they just make keeping them alive so hard sometimes [emoji38]

Yea, you reckon I've messed up giving the injections? The only thing that's changed is I'm now using a smaller blue needle, this time that's what they gave, last time it was a bag of green ones. I'm wondering if I'm messing it up some how.. I definitely don't do it where the bites are tho coz that's right on hose spine, I tend to do them around the scruff area or to the sides of it. But maybe I'm messing up giving it and it's causing him discomfort somehow. So hard to know. Getting this to heal is gunna be hard with Clementine grooming it, even if we can figure out what's causing the issue.. It's just so weird.. It must have been 5 weeks of giving it at least with the green needles no issues.. And 2 weeks of these and now issues. New tube of steroids too. Maybe I've hit a nerve, if I have how long would he be in pain for do you think?

Wish he could tell me [emoji38]

The length of the needle can also be an issue as much as the width. I think it’s a corticosteroid he’s on isn’t it, rather than an anabolic one ? When I initially mentioned steroids to try to help him maintain his weight I did actually mean ANABOLIC steroids. The problem now is if he is on a CORTICOsteroid this will have a negative effect on wound healing too. Personally I would actually ask William about stopping the CORTICOsteroid. If he losses weight I would only want to try an ANABOLIC steroid.

I would actually try to get him seen ASAP, as an open wound will be a big risk for him due to the corticosteroid. Systemic infection is a possibility as corticosteroids have a negative effect on the immune system. William might want to get him on an abx.

Nerve damage, if that is what’s going on, it might not be, can take months to resolve. Depending on severity medication might be needed to address the neuropathy eg Gabapentin.

Thinking of you Gracie. I think I would discuss with William in view of the latest developments with Atticus.

Back