• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

22 Rabbits!

isn't very useful (if you bring your bun in with a head tilt for example) and that's it's just best to treat if it's a possibility

that is definately my approach

by the time the head tilt occurs, the damage has already been done

I treated all of mine a few years ago as a precaution, hence me viewing it as a "vaccination"...once done, if they don't come into contact with infected rabbits, the chance of them getting it, I think is very low

for 30 days, I kept saying to them "its for your well being...stop struggling"

Hey guys. I was on my feet from 6.30-22.30 yesterday sorting out food, housing, toys, checking each rabbit, picking up donations of food and hay, fixing areas where the babies were escaping from, clearing the garden for more space, organising through everything I have kindly been sent to help from facebook groups, ringiing and organising vet visits, speaking to rescues, taking photos of rabbits, watching to make sure each rabbit is eating, drinking, weeing, pooing normally, meticulously question potential new homes, cleaning and drying all the towels I am going through to protect the floor and keeping on top of my own house work and trying to find time to eat/drink/shower/sleep myself. This was the same the day before and will continue for the foreseeable future. All this is fine. My time and money and life is 100% dedicated to the poor rabbits for as long as they need me. My only stress has been this forum. I am trying my best to do the right thing and I feel like all I get is disapproving and conflictling advice. I will be moving Bellatrix to the garden as soon as I can as I am having to do my best with risk management. I will have to listen to my gut on many of these problems as multiple new issues arise.

Sorry for the slight rant, I am grateful for your advice when I have a question but just trying to request a little more caring approach. I am doing my absolute best. Thanks x

You are doing a great job with these bunnies. You say you are on FB, are you on UK Rabbits? Someone just rescued a bunny from horrible conditions and luckily Camp Nibble have taken him on. I also think Honeybunnies were offering but not sure, as Camp Nibble offered a place ahead of Jill. I wish you and all the bunnies well. It sounds like Mum is feeling aggressive with holding her tale up?

You are doing a great job with these bunnies. You say you are on FB, are you on UK Rabbits? Someone just rescued a bunny from horrible conditions and luckily Camp Nibble have taken him on. I also think Honeybunnies were offering but not sure, as Camp Nibble offered a place ahead of Jill. I wish you and all the bunnies well. It sounds like Mum is feeling aggressive with holding her tale up?

Camp nibble have no space and are only really taking poorly bunnies on. I’ll have another look at Honeybunnies, can’t remember if I’ve tried there yet.

Yeah mum of the oldest is just extremely hormonal I think. She spends most of her time chinning things. I’ve totally separated her from her 8 week babies now to be on the safe side and neither mum or babies seem to care 🥰

My only stress has been this forum. I am trying my best to do the right thing and I feel like all I get is disapproving and conflictling advice. I will be moving Bellatrix to the garden as soon as I can as I am having to do my best with risk management. I will have to listen to my gut on many of these problems as multiple new issues arise.

Sorry for the slight rant, I am grateful for your advice when I have a question but just trying to request a little more caring approach. I am doing my absolute best. Thanks x

I'm sorry you feel that way; we ask in the Forum Rules that people are polite & consider their tone when posting - I can't personally see anything that isn't in accordance with those rules but please feel free to report specific posts & the admin team will happily take a look.

Unfortunately, advice is often going to be conflicting (much of it is an opinion rather than fact) so all I would say is to read it all but don't feel like you have to follow it all or any of it at all.

Sometimes people's opinions aren't going to be what you hope for either but that isn't against the forum rules & we would be doing those rabbits no favours by just telling you what we think you want to hear. Some of us have been members long enough to have seen things like this go horribly wrong, with people ending up way out of their depth so that's why we err on the side of caution.

I'm sure you're trying your hardest & will do the best job you can though, nobody is disputing that.

Best disinfectant for cleaning between rabbits in hutches/ cages?? Cheaper the better but prioritising effectiveness, thank you!

Tbh I can see why you're frustrated. I've been following this thread and been bemused at people's responses, especially earlier on when everyone was saying to do nothing. 22 rabbits is a lot better than 50 which is what it would be very soon unless something changed. I applaud your proactive approach to this and can't really understand why others here are so pessimistic.

I mean it's not like there's a rescue offering to neuter, vaccinate and help screen potential homes for them and you're refusing their help. So I'm just not sure what people actually wanted you to do besides sit by and let the situation get worse just because the rabbits will have to be adopted out without being neutered/vaccinated :?

I'm sorry you feel that way; we ask in the Forum Rules that people are polite & consider their tone when posting - I can't personally see anything that isn't in accordance with those rules but please feel free to report specific posts & the admin team will happily take a look.

Unfortunately, advice is often going to be conflicting (much of it is an opinion rather than fact) so all I would say is to read it all but don't feel like you have to follow it all or any of it at all.

Sometimes people's opinions aren't going to be what you hope for either but that isn't against the forum rules & we would be doing those rabbits no favours by just telling you what we think you want to hear. Some of us have been members long enough to have seen things like this go horribly wrong, with people ending up way out of their depth so that's why we err on the side of caution.

I'm sure you're trying your hardest & will do the best job you can though, nobody is disputing that.

Nothing against the rules, just generally making me feel more stressed and like I'm not trying my best! Most people have been fine. I just wanted to state how I was feeling so I could remain using this forum as the invaluable recourse that it is.

Tbh I can see why you're frustrated. I've been following this thread and been bemused at people's responses, especially earlier on when everyone was saying to do nothing. 22 rabbits is a lot better than 50 which is what it would be very soon unless something changed. I applaud your proactive approach to this and can't really understand why others here are so pessimistic.

I mean it's not like there's a rescue offering to neuter, vaccinate and help screen potential homes for them and you're refusing their help. So I'm just not sure what people actually wanted you to do besides sit by and let the situation get worse just because the rabbits will have to be adopted out without being neutered/vaccinated :?

This is exactly what I mean. Thank you for understanding xxx

Which vaccine ?

Definitely VHD 1 and Myxo. Because it's going to be so expensive I am debating whether it would be better to vaccinate as many as I can for VHD 1 and Myxo. Or vaccinate a few for VHD 1, myxo and VHD 2. Lower level protection over more rabbits or higher level protection for less rabbits...

Either way the mum of the eldest litter needs vaccinating for VHD 1 and Myxo before moving outside asap to release space as I separate her babies.

So in terms of the older litter. They are 9 weeks old today. Mum is happily separated. Should I separate boys and girls now? It would be easier if I kept them together for as long as is safe.

The way I see it is the girls can't get pregnant for a while longer so I can keep them together for a few more weeks whilst being on the lookout for any unwanted hormonal behaviour or fights?

If I had limited funds and was weighing up the vaccine situation I would vaccinate for VHD2 just as soon as I possibly could and myxomatosis when or if I could afford it. You might even find a vet who will do it cheaper using a multi dose vial to do a mass vaccination.

If I had limited funds and was weighing up the vaccine situation I would vaccinate for VHD2 just as soon as I possibly could and myxomatosis when or if I could afford it. You might even find a vet who will do it cheaper using a multi dose vial to do a mass vaccination.

This would be my preferance too.

Back